Author Topic: DC United to Leave DC borders?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline kimnat

DC United to Leave DC borders?
« Topic Start: October 11, 2007, 09:18:25 AM »
United Begins Talks for Stadium Outside D.C.   posted 8:43 am Thu October 11, 2007

In a letter publicly released Wednesday, United co-owner Victor MacFarlane and team President Kevin Payne write that they prefer a new stadium at D.C.'s Poplar Point. But they say the uncertainty over the D.C. site has led them to begin talking to surrounding jurisdictions.

It's the strongest response yet to Mayor Adrian Fenty's decision to offer Poplar Point up for other project proposals, rather than sticking with a stadium project with D.C. United.

The soccer team owners want to move out of the aging RFK Stadium.

D.C. United is Major League Soccer's most successful franchise.

MacFarlane is a developer who bought the team earlier this year with hopes of building a major mixed-use development.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Re: DC United to Leave DC borders?
« Reply #1: October 11, 2007, 09:23:23 AM »
Could be a "If you don't want to play my way, I'll take my ball and go elsewhere" tactic.

Next question would be how far out of DC.  Maryland?  Virginia?  Someplace completely different?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: October 11, 2007, 09:40:40 AM »
They're not a factor so they can take their ball and go somewhere else to play and hardly anyone would take notice.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #3: October 11, 2007, 09:49:50 AM »
Don't tell Ali, Frau and Chelsea that!  they're big United fans!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #4: October 11, 2007, 09:54:05 AM »
They're not a factor so they can take their ball and go somewhere else to play and hardly anyone would take notice.
Agreed.  The only soccer I ever watch is the World Cup which only occurs once every four years.  Can't blame them for leaving here anyways.  They want a new stadium but it doesn't look like they can get a new one here. 

« Reply #5: October 11, 2007, 10:00:13 AM »

Not a factor in what?  Plenty of people enjoy the team and out of all the DC teams currently, they most recently kissed a championship trophy which is more I can say for the likes of the Skins, Harry Potters, Caps, and Nats.

I enjoy DC United and hope they can make arrangements to either stay in DC or stay close.  This "soccer hate" is ridiculous. 

Offline kimnat

« Reply #6: October 11, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »
I personally don't get into soccer, but I don't think it has no value.  It is am immensely popular sport!  If it ceased to exist in DC, there would definitely be a void in that area.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #7: October 11, 2007, 11:37:46 AM »
I personally don't get into soccer, but I don't think it has no value.  It is am immensely popular sport!  If it ceased to exist in DC, there would definitely be a void in that area.

No there wouldn't :rofl:

Not a factor in what?  Plenty of people enjoy the team and out of all the DC teams currently,   

It doesn't matter whether you like it or not or want to accept it but they are not a factor in this area. In spite of the fact that they have been successful. Soccer is not relevant in this country and that cannot be disputed.

and out of all the DC teams currently, they most recently kissed a championship trophy which is more I can say for the likes of the Skins, Harry Potters, Caps, and Nats.

That's not true. The DC Divas (Washington's women's football team) completely dominated their league last season and won the league title. They lost in the playoffs last month.

This "soccer hate" is ridiculous. 

I guess if anyone ought to know it's you. I believe you've proven to be the absolute expert on ridiculous hate.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #8: October 11, 2007, 11:41:12 AM »
Have you ever been to a United game? It's a real happening: rowdy, loud, and ethnic. Lots of fun. It'd be great if we could borrow some of the technique for Nats games.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #9: October 11, 2007, 12:52:34 PM »
Have you ever been to a United game? It's a real happening: rowdy, loud, and ethnic. Lots of fun. It'd be great if we could borrow some of the technique for Nats games.

I'm just not a fan of soccer. My friend's family took me to a few games at RFK when I was a boy (Diplomats) but I didn't like it then and I never will. I don't know what the atmosphere is like at United games but that isn't all that important to me if I don't like the game itself. Just a personal preference. Are you saying the atmosphere at United games resembles the atmosphere at Caribbean baseball or the World Baseball Classic games?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #10: October 11, 2007, 01:51:22 PM »
Yup.
I'm just not a fan of soccer. My friend's family took me to a few games at RFK when I was a boy (Diplomats) but I didn't like it then and I never will. I don't know what the atmosphere is like at United games but that isn't all that important to me if I don't like the game itself. Just a personal preference. Are you saying the atmosphere at United games resembles the atmosphere at Caribbean baseball or the World Baseball Classic games?

Offline kimnat

« Reply #11: October 11, 2007, 03:06:11 PM »
Spidey, you're basically poopooing the whole thing simply because you don't like soccer.  You cannot do that.  It would be like someone saying DC didn't need a team, because I don't like baseball.  See the insanity in that statement?  I don't like soccer either.  But I know others immensely enjoy it.  I don't!  But that doesn't mean that we don't need a soccer team in the DC area.

« Reply #12: October 11, 2007, 03:53:22 PM »
No there wouldn't :rofl:

It doesn't matter whether you like it or not or want to accept it but they are not a factor in this area. In spite of the fact that they have been successful. Soccer is not relevant in this country and that cannot be disputed.

That's not true. The DC Divas (Washington's women's football team) completely dominated their league last season and won the league title. They lost in the playoffs last month.

I guess if anyone ought to know it's you. I believe you've proven to be the absolute expert on ridiculous hate.

So what a minute....you've never been to a DC United game and have only been to a soccer game years and years ago but you want to say that they are a non-factor?  To who?  Just you?  Thats some ignorant bullcrap.

This country has a growing number of soccer fans (for different reasons) and its "little leagues" are overflowing with players.  The World Cup gains more and more interest as the years go on.  While it certainly isn't the NFL by any means, it is a growing sport that is already well established in other countries as the "sport of choice."  NFL or the MLB can't even say that.  To say it is not revelant: ignorant bullcrap.

DC Divas?  Did you just use the DC Divas to try and support your arguement?  You want to talk about non-factors and irrelavance....

No, no ridiculous hate here (though you and few others love to dream there is).  I don't do well sensing that but I am good at sensing bullcrap and after running the "crap Detector" over your post, the needle went into the red.

Kimnat probably said it nicer than I ever could.

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #13: October 11, 2007, 04:09:25 PM »
So what a minute....you've never been to a DC United game and have only been to a soccer game years and years ago but you want to say that they are a non-factor?  To who?  Just you?  Thats some ignorant ********.

This country has a growing number of soccer fans (for different reasons) and its "little leagues" are overflowing with players.  The World Cup gains more and more interest as the years go on.  While it certainly isn't the NFL by any means, it is a growing sport that is already well established in other countries as the "sport of choice."  NFL or the MLB can't even say that.  To say it is not revelant: ignorant ********.

DC Divas?  Did you just use the DC Divas to try and support your arguement?  You want to talk about non-factors and irrelavance....

No, no ridiculous hate here (though you and few others love to dream there is).  I don't do well sensing that but I am good at sensing ******** and after running the "**** Detector" over your post, the needle went into the red.

Kimnat probably said it nicer than I ever could.

Kimnat did say it nicer, but this is what I've been thinking all day. :clap: :woop:

Offline spidernat

« Reply #14: October 11, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »
I never said the DC Divas supported my argument. That was only meant to point out that DC United is not the last DC team to sniff a championship.

The reality is that soccer IS a non-factor whether you like to admit it or not. That bullcrap about soccer being a growing sport is total crap. They've been saying that since the 1970's. They have no where else to go but up since the sport has not and will not catch on in this country. And all those kid leagues you're referring to have been around for decades but the truth of the matter is that those kids will gravitate away from soccer once they get to the point where their parents don't sign them up for leagues and they become interested in other sports.

On a personal level there is no question that I don't like soccer. I said as much. But that isn't what I'm basing my theory on. I don't like NASCAR, golf or wrestling either but I see the hunger those leagues create and the following they generate. I'm not saying those leagues are irrelevant because it's plain to me that they are quite relevant. Soccer is no where near on the level of those leagues.

And since we're calling out each other's bullcrap, let me address kimnat's bullcrap about my statement being insane. I never said DC should not have a soccer team. I said their leaving wouldn't make a difference because they are not relevant. Soccer is irrelevant to the great majority of sports fans in this country (you can judge how sane it is to bring up little leagues to support the opposite). Anyone who argues that is not being objective in my estimation. If anyone in this area were to say that DC doesn't need a baseball team because they don't like baseball, that's fine by me. It's their prerogative to express that opinion. But that opinion won't change the reality.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #15: October 11, 2007, 04:19:29 PM »
Kimnat did say it nicer, but this is what I've been thinking all day. :clap: :woop:

And that's fine but the reality is that your passion for soccer is not reflected in the American professional sports landscape. MLS is on the level of the WNBA. There are things I love that aren't mainstream but I'm not going to argue that they are just because I love them. Saying it doesn't make it reality.

Perhaps one day soccer will catch on a become relevant but I just don't see it (and that opinion is not based on my dislike of the sport).

Offline saltydad

« Reply #16: October 11, 2007, 11:08:36 PM »
I love soccer. I've loved it for decades, as a player when younger and much more svelte, as a referee and as a spectator. I had seasons' tickets to the NY Cosmos while they were in existence. I think soccer is a beautiful sport, and loved coaching my son in it.

All that said, I am at a total loss as to why soccer has not taken off as a major sport in the US. We have more kids of both genders playing it than any other sport. But Spider is right; the kids seem to gravitate away from it towards other sports. My son always liked baseball and football, and was a wrestler in high school. He even won an Honorable Mention from the NFL Hall of Fame for High School football players (he was a linebacker and fullback). He played in the AYSO World Games for the world kid's soccer championship twice. But he dropped soccer and started lacrosse, and that is now his main sport. Yes, he plays at a Division 1 college, and it pays for his tuition (thank G-d). But he just got tired of soccer.

I'm not sure what can be done to increase the level of attendance at soccer matches. I suspect, however, that the demographic trends in this country will make it a moot point, as Hispanics will be a plurality in the not so distant future. And that will take care of the soccer attendance problem.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #17: October 12, 2007, 12:32:23 AM »
I thought Beckham would have brought out some growth over here.  It IS growing. Just not by leaps and bounds.  Last World Cup there were Bars opening up at ungodly hours of the morning so people could watch the matches.  Believe it or not a lot of people went to those bars.

Its not up to the level of Football in this town but then again a lot of sports fall in that category.  Especially in this town.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #18: October 12, 2007, 01:32:30 AM »
I would say that it's on an NBA (not WNBA) level, but your overall premise is right...pointy ball does currently beat round ball football, pretty much everywhere in the U.S...that said, round--i.e. soccer--draws more fans per game here in D.C. than either basketball or hockey, and is only slightly behind baseball, so I would not totally write it off.  But all sports have to roll over (at least in term of attendance) to car racing, which I personally hate...so we all must grudgingly accept that we are all part of the non-NASCAR minority (except for you car racing fans out there). 

And that's fine but the reality is that your passion for soccer is not reflected in the American professional sports landscape. MLS is on the level of the WNBA. There are things I love that aren't mainstream but I'm not going to argue that they are just because I love them. Saying it doesn't make it reality.

Perhaps one day soccer will catch on a become relevant but I just don't see it (and that opinion is not based on my dislike of the sport).

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #19: October 12, 2007, 07:47:07 AM »
The day that Beckham showed up at RFK, the place was sold out, wasn't it?

I think that says something about the popularity of soccer.

I thought Beckham would have brought out some growth over here.  It IS growing. Just not by leaps and bounds.  Last World Cup there were Bars opening up at ungodly hours of the morning so people could watch the matches.  Believe it or not a lot of people went to those bars.

Its not up to the level of Football in this town but then again a lot of sports fall in that category.  Especially in this town.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: October 12, 2007, 09:22:19 AM »
The day that Beckham showed up at RFK, the place was sold out, wasn't it?

I think that says something about the popularity of soccer.

I think it says a lot more about our culture's obsession with celebrity. If it were really about the popularity of soccer then explain why RFK isn't sold out for other soccer games. ESPN tells the masses what to care about. They hyped the Beckham phenomena and helped to bring out people to stadiums. That's what drives ESPN. Also, I believe that's another reason why there are so many yankee and cowboy fans.

One question for those that know, how much does it cost to go to a United game? I know attending a hockey or basketball game can be pricey.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #21: October 12, 2007, 11:42:41 AM »
This isn't even a debate.  List of Professional Sports Leagues in the U.S. in terms of popularity:
1. NFL
2. Nascar
3. MLB
4. NBA
5. NHL
6. PGA
7. MLS=WNBA=MLL

I don't care how many people like soccer, it will never ever even get remotely close to the National Football League ( :worship:) or any of the other top leagues in the United States.  I know I am not alone in saying that I'd rather watch golf and tennis over the MLS. 

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #22: October 12, 2007, 12:07:51 PM »
No one is arguing that this sport has caught fire in the U.S. as a whole, the original discussion was it's popularity in D.C. And it IS popular in D.C.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #23: October 12, 2007, 12:15:49 PM »
No one is arguing that this sport has caught fire in the U.S. as a whole, the original discussion was it's popularity in D.C. And it IS popular in D.C.
Still even in D.C., I'm sure people care more about the other teams.
1. Redskins
2. Wizards/Nationals/Capitals
3. D.C. United

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #24: October 12, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »
Since its formation in 1996, DC United has been Washington's most successful pro sports team, with four MLS Cups (they need just one more to equal the Redskins' five titles)...and the home matches have an atmosphere that most other local pro sports teams, most of the time, just can't match (and I know this from personal experience, since I'm also a STH at the Caps, Mystics, Nats, Redskins and Wizards).

The fandom is pretty well dispersed throughout the area so RFK or some other DC location works best...it would be sad if they ended up moving to the remote burbs (or out of the area altogether, like the San Jose Earthquakes - two-time MLS Cup champs - did after the 2005 season, again over a stadium dispute). For my part, since I don't drive, if they moved beyond reach of Metro I'd have to stop going.

Also: Fairly lengthy discussion of United's Poplar Point imbroglio from the non-hockey board at the Capitals' official boards: http://boards.washingtoncaps.com/index.php?showtopic=58512 - includes link to an online petition supporting United at Poplar Point.