Author Topic: Laptop died after 12 years  (Read 3802 times)

Offline PC

Re: Laptop died after 12 years
« Reply #50: March 02, 2013, 06:25:02 PM »
Windows 8 FTW!

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #51: March 02, 2013, 06:53:52 PM »
Open Office is money.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
« Reply #52: March 02, 2013, 08:23:28 PM »
I hated w8 at first but I'm starting to like it a little now. You can always bring up the 7 desktop if you want. Its awesome on our tablet.

I had an Asus laptop and it was badass fwiw

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #53: March 02, 2013, 08:25:28 PM »
...Lenovo and Asus are recommended then? I have had Dell and Toshiba and they've each burned their bridges with me. Honestly I feel like every brand is going to have some kind of boneheaded design flaw. (Also, Asus still seems to be making some Win7 machines.)

And one more question... good reason to spend on Office over something like OpenOffice if I'm just doing personal use and mostly only use Word?
I looked at a lot of laptops in stores.  I didn't like the mousepad on the Asus models.  And their faster Asus laptops would misinterpret my hand near the mousepad as an instruction, and begin doing something I didn't tell it to do.

I ended up getting a refurbished, Dell 4600 desktop (circa 2003) through a charity for $25. (A lot of later Dell models were absolute crap. In fact, any "small form" desktops, which were cheaper and popular for college students and businesses, run VERY hot, due to all that compactness.  AVOID them!  Some have an 80% failure rate, capacitors burn out, etc.) 

My Dell 4600 desktop has 100 GB hard disk drive, a Pentium 4, Windows 7 (which is much better than XP that came on them originally), CD & DVD, and 1 GB memory, which I want to upgrade to 3 GB. It came with the free Open Office. This thing runs MUCH cooler and quieter than my Toshiba laptop.  For your high video and CD usage, you could use the extra memory.  Maybe a newer processor too.

OpenOffice is okay and it's free.  For some Word-like documents, if I copy something off the Internet in OpenOffice, it sometimes puts all these grey marks in between characters.  It's annoying to have to delete them individually.  The OpenOffice spreadsheet doesn't seem to recognize the use of CTL-C to copy and CTL-V to paste, requiring the use of the buttons.  I own Office 2003 in disks, so I will copy it over from the disks at some point. 

Also, for about $7, you can get a Inland Pro USB 2.0 HDD Enclosure (or something like it).  You remove your old laptop hard disk and put it in this thing, and copy your files to your new computer...  Even though my laptop is dead and cannot be powered up, the files can still be recovered.  So don't throw away your old computer!

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #54: March 02, 2013, 10:56:50 PM »
Depending on how much stuff you actually do with an office suite, you might be good to go with just using Google drive.  As a bonus, you don't have to worry about losing stuff if you lose your hard drive to failure or machine to theft or whatever.

In addition to all the other stuff about Macs, the touchpad is the absolute best I have ever used on a notebook.  One of the biggest turnoffs for every notebook I try is the touchpad sucks.  The big glass one on my Mac is absolutely superb.  Of course these days, I mostly on my tablet and desktop gaming rig for heavier lifting.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #55: March 02, 2013, 11:59:04 PM »
Does anyone have experience with the Chromebook?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #56: March 03, 2013, 12:17:49 AM »
I think JMad was sent one to test by Google way back when they began making them.  Might want to shoot him a pm if he doesn't check in here.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #57: March 03, 2013, 12:48:18 AM »
I think JMad was sent one to test by Google way back when they began making them.  Might want to shoot him a pm if he doesn't check in here.

I have a CR-48. It's wonderful for web stuff. I loved it as a computer for carrying around.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #58: March 03, 2013, 01:08:18 AM »
You can't beat an Osborne for cool.  The fact that they weigh 49 pounds just adds to their coolness, and the grinding noise those 5 1/4" floppy disks make drives the dames crazy.   

Offline Nathan

« Reply #59: March 03, 2013, 01:40:44 AM »
You can't beat an Osborne for cool.  The fact that they weigh 49 pounds just adds to their coolness, and the grinding noise those 5 1/4" floppy disks make drives the dames crazy.   

Offline Frau Mau

• Good boy!
« Reply #60: March 03, 2013, 11:07:13 AM »
Can someone just look at the Best Buy flyer and tell me what's good?  :(

My two needs, I have to be able to use it for work, so I want a real keyboard, and it would also be nice if it weren't HUGE! Right now I have a little ASUS notebook  I like, but it's buggy as hell (has a mind of its own) and my MS Office thing expired, so while I can open MS docs, I can't modify then. I also like to watch Netflix on it, unfortunately we have DSL, so that's a problem (digging moritorium where we live so no FIOS).

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #61: March 03, 2013, 11:32:50 AM »

My two needs, I have to be able to use it for work, so I want a real keyboard, and it would also be nice if it weren't HUGE! Right now I have a little ASUS notebook  I like, but it's buggy as hell (has a mind of its own) and my MS Office thing expired, so while I can open MS docs, I can't modify then. I also like to watch Netflix on it, unfortunately we have DSL, so that's a problem (digging moritorium where we live so no FIOS).
Seriously, I'd just go to Best Buy/Microcenter, try some of them out and write down the names of those you liked, and then come back home and look up reviews. Or come to us :mg:

But all the recommendations in the world are useless if the computer isn't the right size and isn't comfortable for you to use. So just look at them first.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #62: March 03, 2013, 11:50:54 AM »
But all the recommendations in the world are useless if the computer isn't the right size and isn't comfortable for you to use. So just look at them first.

It's like shopping for a motorcycle.   :)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #63: March 03, 2013, 11:51:24 AM »
Best buy is great if you treat it as a show room,  even if their price beats new egg or Amazon (doubtful),  you still gave to deal with their chappy add ons like optimization over priced cables and extended warranties

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #64: March 03, 2013, 01:09:51 PM »

Micro Center, which has big stores in Rockville, MD and Fairfax, VA (23 locations nationwide), probably has better prices, probably more selection.  Best Buy likely still has a 15% restocking fee for returns, while Micro Center allows returns with no questions asked (I think in 30 days.)  Micro Center has a 24-page glossy newspaper that they mail once or twice per month, which you can also pick up in their store.  They also are selling a lot of laptops and desktops with Windows 7, for those who detest the new Windows 8.

You could get a wireless mouse and/or keyboard.  (I liked the Acer keyboards on their low-cost laptop, but they don't carry that model now.)

Apache OpenOffice is a free download and very similar to MS Office.
http://www.openoffice.org/download/

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #65: March 03, 2013, 01:16:02 PM »
My son turned me on to OpenOffice.    Pleased with it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #66: March 03, 2013, 01:42:35 PM »
Best buy is great if you treat it as a show room,  even if their price beats new egg or Amazon (doubtful),  you still gave to deal with their chappy add ons like optimization over priced cables and extended warranties

^

Offline PC

« Reply #67: March 15, 2013, 01:23:01 AM »

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #68: March 15, 2013, 08:37:48 AM »
I use and like LibreOffice. When Oracle bought Sun, some of the developers of OpenOffice freaked and split the fold, taking the open-source code with them. Another FOSS holy war. Sun eventually just quit supporting OpenOffice and donated it to Apache.

LibreOffice currently has more open-source developer indignation behind it - which seems to be the driving factor in open-source quality. Right now anyway.

I guess the important thing is both are free. LibreOffice should be a little faster, too, but neither one of them is speedy.

My son turned me on to OpenOffice.    Pleased with it.