Poll

Should Strasburg be shut down for the 2012 season before the playoffs?

Stras should be shut down when he's reached the limit determined by management and consistent with his doctors' recommendations.
84 (65.1%)
This may be our best shot at going deep into the playoffs, you can't shut our ace down.  Let him pitch.
26 (20.2%)
I can't decide.
9 (7%)
Shut up. It's a done deal.  Move on already.
10 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Poll: Should Strasburg be shut down before the playoffs?  (Read 29115 times)

Offline NatsDad14

The situation is cut and dry.  There have been numerous articles in the Post stating statistical evidence of past performers and expert knowledge from the medical community.

Where is this statistical evidence?

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
There have been more than 20 articles in the Post describing the need for the Nationals to limit Strasburg's innings this year.  There have been more than 10 articles in the Post describing why the Nationals can't give Strasburg a month off or strech out his starts.

There are just so many crybabys that think the Nationals don't know what they are doing and as Tracey Hamilton described in the Post today, the crybabys should shut up.  The Nationals will keep winning without Strasburg is they don't hit as poorly as they did in May.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Guys, enough of the name calling.   :nono:   Keep on topic, please.

Offline hammondsnats

There have been more than 20 articles in the Post describing the need for the Nationals to limit Strasburg's innings this year.  There have been more than 10 articles in the Post describing why the Nationals can't give Strasburg a month off or strech out his starts.

There are just so many crybabys that think the Nationals don't know what they are doing and as Tracey Hamilton described in the Post today, the crybabys should shut up.  The Nationals will keep winning without Strasburg is they don't hit as poorly as they did in May.

ummm most nats fans are sticking up for the club on this decision.  but most of us can see that it's a two way street and that it's an extremely difficult decision that may not have a right answer. 

just b/c the Post says Obama is doing a good job, you believe them too right?  8)

why sooooo dense = mathguy

Offline Bloo

#BringbackLannan

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
It's not a difficult decision or Rizzo wouldn't have made the decision months ago.  He would have waited to see Strasburg perform before making a decision if he had any doubts.  There was only one decision to make in terms of how long into the season Strasburg would pitch.  It was based on medical advice and having a database of past performers who both were limited and not limited.

Tom Boswell has been writing on baseball for over 30 years and my Red Sox & Yankee friends up north know him as an expert baseball writer.

We better not get into politics here, for Tom & JCA will only remove anything.

ummm most nats fans are sticking up for the club on this decision.  but most of us can see that it's a two way street and that it's an extremely difficult decision that may not have a right answer. 

just b/c the Post says Obama is doing a good job, you believe them too right?  8)

why sooooo dense = mathguy

Offline hammondsnats

:lmao: at that it's not a difficult decision.  it weren't a difficult decision, you wouldn't hear a peep from fans/media/people in the industry.  we have almost 40 pages dedicated to the topic alone plus tons of other threads regarding it.

now i think shutting down strasburg isn't the major storyline of the year, it should be how well the nats have played and coped with major injuries to key players ... but to call it an easy decision and it being the only call ... c'mon man. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

Tom Boswell has been writing on baseball for over 30 years and my Red Sox & Yankee friends up north know him as an expert baseball writer.

If they were Padres fans would their opinion on Boswell not matter as much?

Offline hammondsnats

If they were Padres fans would their opinion on Boswell not matter as much?

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
Then he should be re activated to be our dh in the world series

Offline HalfSmokes

if we want to appeal to authority, Leo Mazzone is considered one of the greatest pitching coaches ever.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
It's not a difficult decision or Rizzo wouldn't have made the decision months ago.

There was always a discussion of an innings limit but it was never clear what the magic number would be. It was always thought to be the same number that Jordan Zimmerman had. Only recently was it cleared up which has started this entire discussion.

The fact is this: Strasburg is on an innings limit. There are ways around it, though, which could help him pitch in the postseason.

It is obvious that Strasburg in the playoffs give us a better chance at succeeding. I think our pitching rotation is deep enough to handle the playoffs without Stasburg but I would LOVE to see him there. I want us to win it all and he gives us that chance. I would want us to skip some of his starts / hold him off enough to save his innings for the playoffs. But that's me.

You can call me an idiot all you want but that thinking is pretty obtuse.

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
Shut him down. Protect his arm.

I have suffered longer than most with bad baseball in Washington, and I still say the team should do as they plan, and as they have been advised by doctors. Shut him down.

If this is the ONLY chance the Nats will have, then the management should be fired in a few years. Meanwhile, shut him down.

Offline expos1994

He's paid to pitch. If he's healthy he should pitch the whole season... even it means into the playoffs.
He's not made out of glass.
He'd probably tell you the same thing.
Stephen Strasburg does not want to watch his first time in the playoffs from the bench.
He helped get us here... let him finish it.

Offline GSW

He's paid to pitch. If he's healthy he should pitch the whole season... even it means into the playoffs.
Stephen Strasburg does not want to watch his first time in the playoffs from the bench.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

What pitchers aren't paid to pitch?  Similarly, do you have a list of the ones made of glass versus not?  This would be good intelligence for Rizzo in his future signings.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
What pitchers aren't paid to pitch?

HRod.

Online blue911

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
What pitchers aren't paid to pitch?  Similarly, do you have a list of the ones made of glass versus not?  This would be good intelligence for Rizzo in his future signings.

There you go again, Terp.  Rational thinking.  It'll get you every time.

P.S. Those glass pitchers need to really be careful on comebackers through the middle.  Also, when they get injured, it's tough - shards everywhere.

I put my long thoughts on this in the other thread.  I'm for shutting him down, but I get (and could probably argue) the other side.  In no way is it a no-brainer.  If anything, it's gotten more complicated and I think Rizzo is helped by the fact that he announced his intentions so early, because it's much more complicated now that we're outperforming expectations.  I think, had you run this poll in March, it would have been overwhelmingly in favor of shut him down - it's only now that we're so clearly going to be in the playoffs that it gets harder.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I voted "For the love of god shut him down already so we don't have to hear one more bloody media report about it."

Yeah, not an option, but it should be.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
I wonder if the results so far are any indication of how the general fanbase feels. One of the arguments I've heard is "the long suffering baseball fans of DC will be tar and feather Rizzo if he denies them the opportunity to win the first WS ring since 1924." And I have not bought it. I think most fans support the decision because it's the right thing to do.

Offline spit

You're making it sound like we're shutting him down to punish him or something.  :smh:

It's not like our #2-5 are really crapting the bed. Even if the doctors who say it won't do any good to shut him down are right, the risk/reward ratio is way off. If they are wrong, the potential negative fallout is FAR greater than if the doctors who are informing Rizzo are wrong.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Screw the doctors, mine tells me to cut down on the beer, do I listen, hell no, doctors always err on the side of caution, they don't know crap, they're just guessing, they could care less about winning a WS, they just want their patient to feel better.

Sad, but not surprising. to see how many apologist sheep are voting to shut Stras down.  No killer instinct to close the deal, always happy to be a year away.  My dire prediction is that soon after Rizzo makes this screwball move one of our other starters gets hurt and we hobble into an early exit.

Offline spit

Screw the doctors, mine tells me to cut down on the beer, do I listen, hell no, doctors always err on the side of caution, they don't know crap, they're just guessing, they could care less about winning a WS, they just want their patient to feel better.

yeah man, doctors don't know ANYTHING. they just go to medical school for four years, and then do residencies for 2-4 more years, and then work as an assistant or an apprentice for 40-90 hours a week until they're fully qualified, often eschewing social and familial lives in pursuit of their dream, but then they arrive at their offices at the first day of work and just start making crap up and asking about your feelings

Online welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball

Sad, but not surprising. to see how many apologist sheep are voting to shut Stras down.  No killer instinct to close the deal, always happy to be a year away.  My dire prediction is that soon after Rizzo makes this screwball move one of our other starters gets hurt and we hobble into an early exit.

My guess is that the Nats contend for many years. This is not once-in-a-lifetime. The organization is deep: we can joke about having so many good players that it's hard, now, to decide on a starting lineup. Depth keeps winning.

(Patient with losing? Consider: I started knowing that the Nats were our team when Mickey Grasso was the catcher. Look at the players the team got when it traded Jackie Jensen, Mickey Vernon, Pete Runnels, and Eddie Yost. That's how hungry we are for wins.)