Poll

Should Strasburg be shut down for the 2012 season before the playoffs?

Stras should be shut down when he's reached the limit determined by management and consistent with his doctors' recommendations.
84 (65.1%)
This may be our best shot at going deep into the playoffs, you can't shut our ace down.  Let him pitch.
26 (20.2%)
I can't decide.
9 (7%)
Shut up. It's a done deal.  Move on already.
10 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 129

Author Topic: Poll: Should Strasburg be shut down before the playoffs?  (Read 30470 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Okay, you've done your homework - you've read the outstanding and detailed Stark analysis, the opinions of Boz, Kilgore, Zuckerman, other local and national media, and the learned opinions of WNFF lifers.  You've considered the arguments around the risks to his shoulder and elbow related to innings pitched and pitcher "stress".  You've read the comments by members of the medical community, of managers, coaches, scouts, former players, baseball lifers.

You're a hard core Nats fan.  You've suffered the indignity of 100 loss seasons.  Of "Natinals".   Having our home park sold out to the Philthies on our opening day.  It's been painful at times, but a new Natitude has emerged.  This team is good, really good.  It looks every bit a playoff contender.  And Stras is "the Man" in an outstanding rotation.  He's lived up to the hype.  He's a warrior.  Having a healthy Strasburg at the head of a quality rotation gives the Nats a formidable collection of starters that can scarcely be matched by other contenders.  There's little doubt that this pitcher could help us.

You've even considered arguments around the periphery of the issue - that Rizzo can look a draftee's parents or an agent in the eyes and say "I will do the best possible to develop your son to his greatest potential, I will not sacrifice him for short term gain" - the weighing of long term franchise benefit versus "go for it all now".  That Strasburg is an integral component of a tight clubhouse and that morale may be impacted by the loss of such a talent from the active roster.  That the medical community is watching closely, this benchmark example of the health of the individual pitted against a "win at all costs" sports mentality.

So where do you stand, my fellow WNFF'ers?

Offline HalfSmokes

I voted for shutting him down, more because he appears to be fatiguing that because of the rehab plan. If he was pitching seven strong and looked like he did early in the season, I'd say keep on pitching him

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I voted I can't decide.

I'm a rebel, clearly.

Offline Hogie

I want him shut down.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I voted for shutting him down, more because he appears to be fatiguing that because of the rehab plan. If he was pitching seven strong and looked like he did early in the season, I'd say keep on pitching him

It could be they have an upper limit in mind based on pitcher "stress points" but I think they'd have to factor in how he's actually pitching.  Velocity and control being data points to consider when evaluating fatigue.

Offline NatsDad14

Limit his innings, skip starts, then pitch him in the postseason after he pitched 170-175 IP in the regular season. If the White Sox can skip starts for Sale, The A's skip Milone's starts, then the Nats can skip a few Strasburg's starts.

Offline Obed_Marsh

I'd shut him down but it would lean heavier on range provided by the medical team and Strasburg's informed decision. I know "old school" basically says let him pitch, Rizzo basically says "I will shut him down" but in the end we are all accountable for our own health. There is a range, based on medical measures, which the team will tolerate and within that I'd leave it to the discretion of the player in most cases. Putting people first tends to work out in the long run.

In the end, I don't think that takes him into the postseason but that kind of medical detail isn't available to the general public nor is any reliable degree of detail regarding how the decision is actually being made.

So I reuluctantly vote, shut him down although I'd focus more on a informed decision by the relevant stakeholders.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Just make up a bullcrap DL problem, then have him pitch the postseason lol

Offline RL04

I've stated many times that there is a middle ground ... watch his innings with a creative approach.

Wash Post writers and posters here have said it can't be done ... still has to throw between starts ... can't pitch after taking a rest, etc. etc.

That's BS.

The Rangers team doctor (Meister) is quoted in the Post that they skip starts, move to the back of the rotation, etc.
It can be done.
If Rizzo chooses not to do that, fine.
It's his decision.
But no one should make up stuff and say it's impossible to handle this another way.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I'd leave it to the discretion of the player in most cases.

While this is reasonable in one sense, the reality of sports culture demands the individual give 100% all the time, ignore injury and fatigue, and basically pitch till the arm falls off.  He's have the Dibbles/SF's of the world all over him if he were to be honest with himself and us.  No, he's not allowed to be honest, he has to toe the line which is to disclaim any pain, discomfort, or fatigue, regardless of what he really feels.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I've stated many times that there is a middle ground ... watch his innings with a creative approach.

Wash Post writers and posters here have said it can't be done ... still has to throw between starts ... can't pitch after taking a rest, etc. etc.

That's BS.

The Rangers team doctor (Meister) is quoted in the Post that they skip starts, move to the back of the rotation, etc.
It can be done.
If Rizzo chooses not to do that, fine.
It's his decision.
But no one should make up stuff and say it's impossible to handle this another way.

Then you fall under the very broad category of "let him pitch", which means into the playoffs.    Those who believe that there are tricks or tactics to manage his workload such to facilitate October pitching should vote accordingly - against the shutdown option.

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Shut him down according to the rehab plan they have in place. I trust the doctors in this instance.

Online blue911

Shut him down according to the rehab plan they have in place. I trust the doctors in this instance.

Well I think the doctors know a hell of a lot more than I do. It's like having a hunting guide,then totally ignoring their advice.

Offline Obed_Marsh

While this is reasonable in one sense, the reality of sports culture demands the individual give 100% all the time, ignore injury and fatigue, and basically pitch till the arm falls off.

If you are going to look to sports medicine to tell you when to you shut him down than the patient is going to be a intrinsic part of it. If Stephen and the medical staff don't have honest communication it will skew many of the results anyway. Like I said, I'd give him an informed range via the medical staff confidentially and let him choose. As an organization you can communicate the priority is his well being and let the chips fall where they may.

I don't think that changes much with the managers and coaches but while it upends a lot of baseball tradition, if Rizzo wants to follow the principals he seems to be professing, you might as well go all in and make it a medical decision not a baseball decision and structure the organization appropately.

Is it tradtional? Hell no but neither is the shutdown as the media macaws illustrate.

Offline sportsfan882

This is truly a landmark decision. We could look back 20 years from now and shake our heads in disgust that we blew a chance to win the world series by shutting down our ace. Or Mike Rizzo and the Nationals could be looked at as one of the great franchises/dynasties as we keep Stras healthy and he wins a crap load of games and takes us to other world series.

It's such a big dilemma. I am starting to get terrified that we will regret the decision as Edwin Jackson and someone like Detwiler is getting their ass ripped apart in the playoffs this year and we go home in NLDS round.

With all this being said, I think it's the right decision to shut him down though I hate to hurt our chances this year when he have such a golden opportunity to win it all. Do you really think we will have the best record in baseball next year and be kicking ass like this? Things will go wrong, players will get injured, etc. Who knows, 2012 could be our best chance to win the World Series for the next 10 years. You'd hope not but you never know.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
Anyone who thinks it is perfectly fine for Strasburg to pitch through the World series or thinks Strasburg should take a break now and pitch later is erroneous in his / her opinion.

(edited by mod)

Offline hammondsnats

Anyone who thinks it is perfectly fine for Strasburg to pitch through the World series or thinks Strasburg should take a break now and pitch later is erroneous in his / her opinion

there is no right decision.  anyone who thinks there is, is erroneous in his / her opinion.

it's not as cut and dry as you think. 

both sides have an argument.  glad none of us are making the call. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Anyone who thinks it is perfectly fine for Strasburg to pitch through the World series or thinks Strasburg should take a break now and pitch later is an erroneous in his / her opinion

Just because you disagree with someone doesn't make them an idiot. I believe he should be shut down, but those who say he shouldn't also have valid arguements, ones I just happen to disagree with.

Offline hammondsnats

i wonder if the team plays great baseball over the next few weeks and locks up a spot with a couple weeks to go and the club tries to rethink their strategy.  maybe employ a 6-man rotation for a couple weeks.  or have strasburg throw few innings and have lannan come in after him.  or let him skip a start (w/ lannan replacing him) then making a start, then repeating that step. 

i'm sure they've thought it all and rizzo is still set on shutting him down.

Offline Jordanz Meatballz

That everyone is entitled to an opinion does not make them all valid.

You can hold an idiotic opinion and not be an idiot overall.

We should all recognized that our opinions are not informed, while Rizzo's is.  No one wants the Nationals to win more than he.

Online blue911

Ben McDonald (Stephen Strasburg V1.0) was on Thom Loverro's show yesterday. It's worth hearing his opinion.

http://www.stationcaster.com/player_skinned.php?s=65&c=428&f=677331

Offline sportsfan882

i wonder if the team plays great baseball over the next few weeks and locks up a spot with a couple weeks to go and the club tries to rethink their strategy.  maybe employ a 6-man rotation for a couple weeks.  or have strasburg throw few innings and have lannan come in after him.  or let him skip a start (w/ lannan replacing him) then making a start, then repeating that step. 

i'm sure they've thought it all and rizzo is still set on shutting him down.
Yup, Rizzo is standing dead pat in shutting him down. They will not skip his starts or go to 6 man rotation.

And the team is not going to clinch with weeks left. Will likely go down to the last series vs, gulp, Philly.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
The situation is cut and dry.  There have been numerous articles in the Post stating statistical evidence of past performers and expert knowledge from the medical community.

it's not as cut and dry as you think. 

Offline Terpfan76

• ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The situation is cut and dry.  There have been numerous articles in the Post stating statistical evidence of past performers and expert knowledge from the medical community.

Who aren't Strasburg's doctors nor do they have both the team and players best interests at heart. It's easy for them to spout off any rehtoric they wish when they don't have to answer for failure/re-injury. Rizzo's made it pretty clear that he's willing to take the heat for the decision and he alone.

Offline hammondsnats

dude what's your deal?

how one-sided are you? 

you do realize there are tons of other reports coming from medical people saying there is no evidence that shutting him down will help anything.  just b/c you read three post articles doesn't mean they are right.  there's plenty of fuel for both sides. 

don't get me wrong, you shut him down, you play it safe and there's a chance he comes back even stronger next year and what not.  but you never know, maybe you keep him in rotation, he pitches through the world series and wins us a championship.  i guess we won't know.