Author Topic: Beer, Beer, and More Beer (2008-2013)  (Read 158075 times)

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Re: Beer, Beer, and More Beer
« Reply #2500: January 18, 2013, 11:56:09 PM »
I'm definately looking forward to Blue Jacket opening in May.  Does anyone know who will be the brewer ?
Megan Parisi. It's discussed over in the Ballpark News thread.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2501: January 23, 2013, 08:25:48 PM »
New Belgium Snow Day. Been saving it for the cold. Had some last year. Had some earlier this year. Began to really like it while in Breckenridge. Thought it might just be because I was in Breckenridge and wanting to like everything. Having one now. I would have to put it in my top 3. Kinda like a lite porter but hoppier. I just keep gulping it

Those nerds on beeradvocate make a big deal about lacing. Not sure if it adds to the taste but this crap has a lot of lacing and the head sticks around longer than any other beer I can think of

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #2502: January 23, 2013, 08:59:33 PM »
Have you found it on tap at any of the places with good beer taps ?

New Belgium Snow Day. Been saving it for the cold. Had some last year. Had some earlier this year. Began to really like it while in Breckenridge. Thought it might just be because I was in Breckenridge and wanting to like everything. Having one now. I would have to put it in my top 3. Kinda like a lite porter but hoppier. I just keep gulping it

Those nerds on beeradvocate make a big deal about lacing. Not sure if it adds to the taste but this crap has a lot of lacing and the head sticks around longer than any other beer I can think of

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2503: January 23, 2013, 09:50:44 PM »
Double take may be the worst swill ever made- my wife thought it was a great deal $6.99 for a six pack of ipa- don't get suckered by the price- the stuff is just awful- I'd rather achieve the abv by adding rubbing alcohol to bud light

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2504: January 23, 2013, 10:01:44 PM »
Beer is the only thing getting me through this cold front.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #2505: January 23, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
Have you found it on tap at any of the places with good beer taps ?

Only in Breckenridge. I would say there isnt much difference between bottle and tap, if any. Harris Teeter had tons of it until a couple weeks ago. Might have a little bit left over. I noticed goddam spring beers on the shelves on Monday

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #2506: January 25, 2013, 12:53:42 PM »
Only in Breckenridge. I would say there isnt much difference between bottle and tap, if any. Harris Teeter had tons of it until a couple weeks ago. Might have a little bit left over. I noticed goddam spring beers on the shelves on Monday

I have a general beer question.   Do breweries stop producing certain beers during the year?    I ask because I've found Leinie's Sunset Wheat difficult to find on occasion.   I don't believe it's a seasonal beer.    I find their Lemon do-dad or other all the time but not Sunset Wheat.   I found some at Shopper's the other day for the first time in almost a month.   Wife wise cracked it's because I drank it all.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2507: January 25, 2013, 01:20:16 PM »
I have a general beer question.   Do breweries stop producing certain beers during the year?    I ask because I've found Leinie's Sunset Wheat difficult to find on occasion.   I don't believe it's a seasonal beer.    I find their Lemon do-dad or other all the time but not Sunset Wheat.   I found some at Shopper's the other day for the first time in almost a month.   Wife wise cracked it's because I drank it all.
Depends on the brewery and the style of beer.

In the summer, you'll see breweries producing lighter beers, wheat beers, etc. Come fall and winter, you see breweries producing porters and darker stouts.

Not many people want to reach for a cold Porter on a 90 degree day. Conversely, a thin, lemony beer isn't the answer for shaking off a cold winter chill. But... to each their own.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2508: January 25, 2013, 01:24:07 PM »

sunset wheat should be year round

https://leinie.com/Default.aspx#beers

try asking a manager at the grocery store- I've had luck doing that at Giant

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2509: January 25, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »

I find all of the Leinie products to be too thin and too sweet for my tastes.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2510: January 25, 2013, 10:05:37 PM »
had a morimoto soba beer at a japanese place tonight, very nice.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/31282

Online Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #2511: January 26, 2013, 03:02:47 AM »
IIRC they have that on tap from time to time at Kramer Books (Dupont Circle).  Good stuff, though personally I like the light lagers with Japanese food, especially if wasabi is involved.  Oh, and sake.  Duh.

had a morimoto soba beer at a japanese place tonight, very nice.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/132/31282

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2512: January 26, 2013, 12:49:01 PM »
Have you tried looking in Total Wine or other stores that have a large beer selection ?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2513: January 26, 2013, 12:53:51 PM »
Have you tried looking in Total Wine or other stores that have a large beer selection ?

I have ...  and I even find they are out.   Either that or they're moving it around to confuse me.   :)    Maybe I'm spoiled but I like to buy my beer cold so I try to stay away from Total.     Plus, the wine people drive me nuts.   It's like going to Wegmans.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2514: January 26, 2013, 03:13:00 PM »
I have ...  and I even find they are out.   Either that or they're moving it around to confuse me.   :)    Maybe I'm spoiled but I like to buy my beer cold so I try to stay away from Total.     Plus, the wine people drive me nuts.   It's like going to Wegmans.
that is spoiled, you want an out of season beer, and you want it to be in the cooler...

http://greatbrewers.com/product/leinenkugels-sunset-wheat

Then click "find this beer" and type in your zip, alas, it won't tell you if they stock it cold or not....

Offline mitlen

« Reply #2515: January 26, 2013, 03:40:24 PM »
that is spoiled, you want an out of season beer, and you want it to be in the cooler...

http://greatbrewers.com/product/leinenkugels-sunset-wheat

Then click "find this beer" and type in your zip, alas, it won't tell you if they stock it cold or not....

HalfSmokes indicated it's not seasonal.    Ya know, up until this summer, I was able to find it everywhere.   All of a sudden in the fall  ...  poof  ...  it's gone from the shelves.    Every once in a while I'll spot something that looks interesting that's not in the cooler.   I'll buy it but I make sure I have cold beer at home to hold me over until the warm beer chills in the fridge.   Yeah, I know   ...   pitiful.   :)

PS   First time I ever drank or even heard of Leinies was at a Nats' game.    They had a place in a corner along the left field line.   My neighbor is a WI native and suggested we try it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #2516: January 26, 2013, 04:57:37 PM »

Total Wine in Chantilly has it listed as being in stock.

http://www.totalwine.com/eng/product/leinenkugels-sunset-wheat/16963126

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
« Reply #2517: January 31, 2013, 10:01:38 AM »
Swung by Total Wine at Landmark on my way in to the office today (quicker than hitting it on the way home)... they had the leinie's Sunset Wheat on the shelves.

Offline mitlen

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2519: January 31, 2013, 01:26:11 PM »
Had a St. Arnold's beer dinner last night, five courses and five beers at a local gastropub. All the beers had been aged by the pub to varying degrees, including a double IPA aged for a year or so but, most impressively, their typically meh Pumpkinator aged for a couple years and now very nutmegy and very spicy. A St. Arnold's rep was on hand to tell us we should all replicate the effect by grabbing cases and stashing them in a closet.

Unfortunately, she then told us that they only send four cases of Pumpkinator to Dallas every year. CURSES

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2520: February 02, 2013, 12:16:33 AM »
Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale

I forgot how utterly amazing this stuff is.  Holy freak!

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #2521: February 02, 2013, 12:40:25 AM »
Bought sixes of two beers I had somehow never had, Anchor Steam and New Belgium 1554. Anchor Steam tastes like the ideal beer for a ballgame at Arlington: when it's stinking hot out and you need something sweet and light to feel better about how much you're sweating to watch baseball. I will keep it till it gets warmer outside. 1554 on the other hand... flat-out awesome. A bit of a poor man's St Bernardus, but then again, I am a poor man, and St Bernardus doesn't come in six-packs.

Offline Mathguy

« Reply #2522: February 02, 2013, 06:23:32 AM »
Rogue has been some of my favorite beer - particularly the Chocolate Stoudt

Rogue Hazelnut Brown Ale

I forgot how utterly amazing this stuff is.  Holy freak!

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2523: February 02, 2013, 09:31:30 AM »
anyone try the SA Alpine Spring yet?

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #2524: February 02, 2013, 01:56:58 PM »
If you go to Costco the sam early spring thaw variety pack is really good