Author Topic: Billy Crystal to don pinstripes  (Read 2479 times)

natsfan1a

Offline ronnynat

Re: Billy Crystal to don pinstripes
« Reply #1: March 11, 2008, 10:53:32 AM »
That's awesome.

« Reply #2: March 11, 2008, 10:55:17 AM »
Do the Yanks really need that publicity stunt?  I thought they were trying to regain a dynasty and not make the sport more like the WWE.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: March 11, 2008, 12:03:47 PM »
What a joke.  Of all teams you'd think the Yankees would have a single shred of dignity left, but apparently not.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #4: March 11, 2008, 02:21:15 PM »
God, y'all take this stuff too seriously. Letting Crystal wear the jersey doesn't hurt anyone.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #5: March 11, 2008, 02:25:18 PM »
I think it's a wonderful recognition of one of their biggest supporters. No upset from this seat.

« Reply #6: March 11, 2008, 02:29:33 PM »
God, y'all take this stuff too seriously. Letting Crystal wear the jersey doesn't hurt anyone.

Yeah, we'll see what you'll be saying when the Nats sign Cedric the Entertainer to a minor league deal and try to put him at first base.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #7: March 11, 2008, 02:34:27 PM »
Yeah, we'll see what you'll be saying when the Nats sign Cedric the Entertainer to a minor league deal and try to put him at first base.

I haven't seen Cedric boosting the Nats for years, using his performances to extoll great Nats history, etc. Lighten up.

« Reply #8: March 11, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »
I haven't seen Cedric boosting the Nats for years, using his performances to extoll great Nats history, etc. Lighten up.

Billy Crystal = Yankee Championships?  That is almost as hilarious as last year's:

Dmitri Young's Smile = 20 Extra Wins

I've talked to all of my Yankee fan friends and none of them are laughing or thinking this is lightening anything up. I just don't see the point in this and nor does the NY Post who fried the Yanks on this stunt.

Offline blue911

« Reply #9: March 11, 2008, 02:47:37 PM »
Yeah, we'll see what you'll be saying when the Nats sign Cedric Bacsik the Entertainer to a minor league deal and try to put him at first base on the mound.

There you go all fixed.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: March 11, 2008, 04:20:55 PM »
I wonder what the Pirates think about the team the Yankees will be putting on the field. 

Crystal should be playing in a fantasy camp, not real spring training games.  Or maybe the Yankees pretty much figure they have the AL East sewn up and don't need to prepare their (real) players for the regular season.

Okay so he's a Yankees fan, big whup.  So he's rich, I'm happy for him.  People tell me he's famous, but I could not tell you what for.  I guess money and fame buys you a place in the field these days.  The whole thing just reeks.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: March 11, 2008, 04:32:16 PM »
http://www.nypost.com/seven/03112008/sports/yankees/comic_disbelief_101441.htm

COMIC DISBELIEF

NO FOOLING: CRYSTAL TO DON PINSTRIPES

By Kevin Kernan, New York Post

March 11, 2008 -- TAMPA - The YankeesNew York Yankees  gave new meaning to the term "Billy Ball" last night - and you can be sure Billy Martin is turning over in his grave.

The Yankees announced they have signed Billy Crystal. He's going to work out with the team Wednesday and play in Thursday's game against the Pirates. No word if he's taking Alex Rodriguez's spot in the lineup.

I would have no problem if Crystal signed with one of his other favorite teams, the Knicks. They're a joke anyway and need the publicity. Or if the Yankees were to use him Wednesday against those hard-charging Rays. Who wouldn't want to see Billy and Don Zimmer in a brawl?

The Yankees and Bud Selig have joined hands here to make a mockery of the game. Doesn't Selig have more important things to do? Yes, baseball is entertainment, but the Yankees don't need to be fulfilling Crystal's baseball fantasy or granting his birthday wish. Let Crystal play in an Old-Timer's game if he needs to put on the uniform.

You could make the argument that the Yankees have been too business-like through the years and need to lighten up, but who's next? Bruce Springsteen? Britney Spears? Instead of "Dancing With the Stars" there could be "Baseball With the Stars."

I saw Spike Lee at a game in Dunedin, Fla., last week. I'm sure he would have jumped at the chance to play shortstop and bat leadoff.

Derek Jeter said he is happy to have Crystal as a teammate.

"Good for him, he's really excited, and he's really nervous," Jeter said last night on his way out the door as the Yankees beat the Reds, 4-0, on a night when Joba ChamberlainJoba Chamberlain  and Ian Kennedy were lights-out.

Noted Joe Girardi, who promised to make Crystal run and run and run: "Billy Crystal's done a lot for this organization. It's ownership and our way of rewarding him, saying thanks for everything you've done."

Isn't this the kind of stunt the Rays or the Padres usually pull? I was there the night they handed out the press release that Roseanne Barr was going to sing the National Anthem. That didn't go over so well if you remember Miss Barr's antics, but she was Padres owner Tom Werner's meal ticket and he let her on the field. But at least he didn't let her play. Country singer Garth Brooks has been down this road before, playing in the spring with the Padres and the MetsNew York Mets  and raising money for his charity.

"I've been waiting 50 years for this call," Crystal said in a press release.

It seems like Crystal has been hanging around the Yankees that long, trying to get close to the players. Now he is a player. He will wear the same uniform as Babe Ruth, Mickey Mantle, Joe DiMaggio, Lou Gehrig, Jeter and Rodriguez.

Isn't this why they created Fantasy Camp?

I guess this tells you that spring training shouldn't be taken that seriously. Sure, it's only a few days of fun, but these are the Yankees. I'm sure this is their way of giving Crystal a birthday gift. He turns 60 on Friday, but there are other ways to sing Happy Birthday Billy.

Crystal will turn on his charm, charm sports reporters rarely see, although he was nice when he was promoting "61*," his Roger Maris movie.

"The Yankees are excited to welcome the newest member of our team known for his humor and wit as well as his undying love for the Yankees," said Lonn Trost, Yankees chief operating officer.

All that is true, but the Yankees don't need to do this. They already have the stars. They have the name. This isn't the start of camp; this is the middle of the spring season. Maybe the Yankees just need some Comic Relief.

Billy was captain of his Long Beach (N.Y.) High School team and batted .348 his senior season. They say he's one of the best baseball players in Hollywood today, which isn't saying much. The fans will probably give Crystal a standing ovation.

"I'm looking forward to helping the younger players, which by the way, is all of them," Crystal added. "Oops, I have to go, Scott Boras is on the phone."

The joke's on the Yankees.

« Reply #12: March 11, 2008, 04:33:10 PM »
People tell me he's famous, but I could not tell you what for. 

Probably because of this and Meg Ryan.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #13: March 11, 2008, 04:43:10 PM »

:rofl:

Is that from a movie? 

natsfan1a

« Reply #14: March 11, 2008, 05:26:32 PM »
When Harry Met Sally (Oops, wrong thread! :) )

« Reply #15: March 11, 2008, 05:27:33 PM »
Yep, the famous fake orgasm scene from Harry Met Sally.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #16: March 11, 2008, 05:32:30 PM »

Offline saltydad

« Reply #17: March 11, 2008, 05:45:21 PM »

At the end of the scene, the woman who says "I'll have what she's having" was Crystal's mother. My 87 year old Mom laughed her tuchas off when she saw this for the first time. And Katz's Deli, where this was filmed, makes the best hot pastrami sandwich in the world!

natsfan1a

« Reply #18: March 11, 2008, 05:46:19 PM »
That line was the best part of it. :lol:

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #19: March 12, 2008, 12:24:38 AM »
I wonder what the Pirates think about the team the Yankees will be putting on the field. 

Crystal should be playing in a fantasy camp, not real spring training games.  Or maybe the Yankees pretty much figure they have the AL East sewn up and don't need to prepare their (real) players for the regular season.

Okay so he's a Yankees fan, big whup.  So he's rich, I'm happy for him.  People tell me he's famous, but I could not tell you what for.  I guess money and fame buys you a place in the field these days.  The whole thing just reeks.

Didn't Garth Brooks do this a few years back with the Padres or something? 

I think this demeans the game.  If I was a Yankees fan traveling to Florida to watch Spring training games, I'd be p****d off.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #20: March 12, 2008, 04:17:44 AM »

I think this demeans the game.  If I was a Yankees fan traveling to Florida to watch Spring training games, I'd be p****d off.

That's what I was thinking.  I think there were other celebrities that I think took batting practice with a team in Spring Training but I don't think they played in an actual game.

« Reply #21: March 12, 2008, 10:05:13 AM »

I agree.  And in the posted NY Post article:

Isn't this the kind of stunt the Rays or the Padres usually pull? I was there the night they handed out the press release that Roseanne Barr was going to sing the National Anthem. That didn't go over so well if you remember Miss Barr's antics, but she was Padres owner Tom Werner's meal ticket and he let her on the field. But at least he didn't let her play. Country singer Garth Brooks has been down this road before, playing in the spring with the Padres and the MetsNew York Mets  and raising money for his charity.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #22: March 12, 2008, 10:31:09 AM »
At least Garth was raising money for charity.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #23: March 14, 2008, 02:41:50 AM »
I thought it was awesome seeing him take an at-bat like that.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #24: March 14, 2008, 09:42:47 AM »
At the end of the scene, the woman who says "I'll have what she's having" was Crystal's mother. My 87 year old Mom laughed her tuchas off when she saw this for the first time. And Katz's Deli, where this was filmed, makes the best hot pastrami sandwich in the world!

I think the woman was actually the director's (Rob Reiner's) mother - not Billy Crystal's.