Author Topic: Pitching Plaudits: K Street appreciation thread  (Read 7130 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
I love Gio's personality. So glad he's on our squad

Offline Obed_Marsh

Funny. So long as he doesn't show up late when he is starting.

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
I'm spoiler-tagging my answer. No peeking, fellow guessers!!!!
Edwin Jackson is from Germany. I'd kind of guess Gio is USA-born but that's blind ignorance talking. So 1.

Edwin is an Army Brat, his dad was military. New Ulm, Germay was the site of 36 Pershing missiles during the Cold War

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
gio now leads the NL in k's with 41 but if hamels can get 6 or more strikeouts against us then he will move ahead of natgio

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Half_Street #Nats Stats: In addition to leading #MLB in ERA, WHIP, OpBA & QS, Nats’ pitchers are 1st in Avg. (.193) & 2nd in OPS (.439) at the plate

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Our pitchers out hit left field......

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
What's our starters combined BA?

Offline spit

http://www.baseballanalytics.org/baseball-analytics-blog/2012/5/21/highest-whiff-rates-by-pitch-type-for-starters.html#entry16372421

Of note: Det in top 10 sinker whiff%, EJax #1 slider whiff% (by FAR!), Gio top 5 fastball whiff%, Stras #1 changeup whiff%.

These guys freaking rule

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
stras easily has the best change in the game

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
I read somewhere we are on pace to shatter the staff strikeout record of 1404 (I think that's the number) held by the Cubs

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Overthinking It

Gio Gonzalez and Max Scherzer are Striking Out Everyone

Ben Lindburgh, Baseball Prospectus

Gio Gonzalez
 So far, Gonzalez going from the AL to the NL has worked something like Superman going from Krypton to Earth. Last winter, knowing that the A’s odds of survival were slim and the Coliseum’s days were numbered, Billy Beane sent Gonzalez away in search of a new existence in the DC Universe.  Outwardly, Gonzalez is still the same mild-mannered pitcher he was in Oakland’s atmosphere. But as soon as he escaped his doomed former ballpark, he began to display previously unsuspected powers. If phone booths still existed, he’d be using one to change into his uniform.
Against Gonzalez, with two strikes, right-handed batters this season are striking out more 56 percent of the time and hitting .056/.143/.090. Not only is that .233 OPS lower than any other lefty starter’s with two strikes against righties, it’s lower than any righty starter’s with two strikes against righties. Most righties facing Gonzalez haven’t thrown their bats into the stands and walked slowly back to the dugout, but they might as well have. If they’d all done that before the pitch, they wouldn’t have hit much worse.

Article is available to the non-subscribing general public.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17118

Offline Sharp

stras easily has the best change in the game
Remember how leading up to him being drafted the one knock on him was that his changeup wasn't that great?  Yeah.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
LOL

This gif is slaying me

Offline PC

Edwin Jackson is the new John Lannan. :shock:

His final numbers, like Lannan's, are always much better than they appeared they'd be while actually watching him pitch.  Yesterday, he pitched 7 innings, giving up three runs.  His pitch count was a phenomenally low 89.  That's incredibly good pitch efficiency that you never would have imagined while actually watching him pitch.  Hamel's pitch count was 114 and he pitched just one more inning.

This comparison is clearly not drawn to scale as Jackson is a much better quality pitcher than Lannan but I'm talking about how they look while pitching and what their final numbers end up being.

And Jackson is black and right handed and Lannan is white and left handed.  Other than that...

Offline hammondsnats

LOL

This gif is slaying me

(Image removed from quote.)

yeah i was :lmao: all tuesday night long.

i don't know what's funniest:

a) douche chooch walking to the dugout without a bat
b) flores standing up, revealing the ball in his glove and staring at where the bat was
c) gio glancing over to the section for a half a second, not surprised at what happened and calling for the ball.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!

And Jackson is black and right handed and Lannan is white and left handed.  Other than that...

Sorry to go PA...

But what does that have to do with anything at all?

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
yeah i was :lmao: all tuesday night long.

i don't know what's funniest:

a) douche chooch walking to the dugout without a bat
b) flores standing up, revealing the ball in his glove and staring at where the bat was
c) gio glancing over to the section for a half a second, not surprised at what happened and calling for the ball.

It's all GOLD

Offline PC

Sorry to go PA...

But what does that have to do with anything at all?

Levity.

Offline Sharp

I would hate for Jackson to hear himself being compared to Lannan...

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Edwin Jackson is the new John Lannan.

His final numbers, like Lannan's, are always much better than they appeared they'd be while actually watching him pitch.
A huge difference is that Jackson has always often had better peripherals than his ERA, while Lannan has always had a much better ERA than his K rate, walk rate, WHIP, HR/FB, velocity, etc... would suggest.  Lannan was always the guy the stat geeks would say was a mirage, while Jackson was always their superstar camouflaged by his ERA.

Note the significant edit after I went and looked at his fangraphs page.

Offline spit

LOL

This gif is slaying me

(Image removed from quote.)

OMG. i'm dying in the library here

Offline houston-nat

Overthinking It

Article is available to the non-subscribing general public.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=17118

So on strike 2, righties are almost three times as likely to walk as get a hit against Gio.

Online HalfSmokes

A huge difference is that Jackson has always had better peripherals than his ERA, while Lannan has always had a much better ERA than his K rate, walk rate, WHIP, HR/FB, velocity, etc... would suggest.  Lannan was always the guy the stat geeks would say was a mirage, while Jackson was always their superstar camouflaged by his ERA.

he's actually at a wierd point where his era and xfip are perfectly matched at 3.38- I don't think I've ever seen that before

Offline loshjott

Overthinking It

Outwardly, Gonzalez is still the same mild-mannered pitcher he was in Oakland’s atmosphere.

Yes, I know he was making a joking reference to Clark Kent and Superman, but Gio...mild-mannered?

Hardly.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
edited reply #69 for reality, which is this