Author Topic: Linux Thread  (Read 20449 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Linux Thread
« Reply #400: September 05, 2013, 07:15:21 PM »
For even more speed, you could try some lighter DEs from the software repos (like xfce).  It's easily changeable as far as which one you wish to use by default.  I figured KDE would still be kind of slow on an old netbook.

Here's a little list of some of the more well known ones:

http://www.howtogeek.com/163154/linux-users-have-a-choice-8-linux-desktop-environments/

Thanks. I'll keep playing as I go along.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #401: September 05, 2013, 10:07:31 PM »
And now I have Chrome installed (for Google Drive). This is okay.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #402: September 05, 2013, 11:18:52 PM »
Is that in the repos?  I don't know if you've looked yet, but the software management package in most distros makes installing a lot of things super easy.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #403: September 06, 2013, 08:26:58 AM »
Is that in the repos?  I don't know if you've looked yet, but the software management package in most distros makes installing a lot of things super easy.

Yep. That's how I installed it.

"This is okay" was high praise.

Offline PC

« Reply #404: November 25, 2013, 04:27:32 PM »
As diehard a Microsoft fanboi as I am, I'm always looking for a good (ie Windows-like) Linux distro.  Ubuntu has been my goto since 9.10 though lately I've gotten to iike Mint more and more.  Mint is more Windows-like than Ubuntu.

While on my quest, I stumbled across Pear Linux.  Needless to say, this is not very Windows like! :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #405: November 25, 2013, 06:38:49 PM »
:lmao:

That's the most blatant ripoff OF ALL TIME /kanye

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #406: November 26, 2013, 07:28:39 PM »
:lmao:

That's the most blatant ripoff OF ALL TIME /kanye

Maybe not more blatant than when Jobs ripped of Xerox...

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #407: November 27, 2013, 09:05:46 AM »
Maybe not more blatant than when Jobs ripped of Xerox...

;)

or the LG Prada

Offline PC

« Reply #408: March 22, 2014, 09:21:41 AM »
As diehard a Microsoft fanboi as I am, I'm always looking for a good (ie Windows-like) Linux distro.  Ubuntu has been my goto since 9.10 though lately I've gotten to iike Mint more and more.  Mint is more Windows-like than Ubuntu.

While on my quest, I stumbled across Pear Linux.  Needless to say, this is not very Windows like! :lol:

Remember this distro?  It's dead and Apple may have killed it!

http://www.linuxinsider.com/story/79861.html

I was running it from a VM and hadn't run it in a while, the other day, so I did and found there were no updates.  I manually checked for updates two or three times and still none.  I went to distrowatch and found out it had been discontinued.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #409: March 22, 2014, 12:56:13 PM »
Is there an Apple-like Linux distro? Mint/MATE is working just fine for me, but I have another old laptop to 'speriment with.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #410: March 22, 2014, 01:43:42 PM »
Elementary OS is sort of Apple-y, but not as blatent a copy as Pear was.  The page makes it look like it costs money, but you don't have to donate anything to download.

http://elementaryos.org/

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #413: September 25, 2014, 12:57:10 PM »
Not that OS X isn't affected by this since it does have bash, but it doesn't use a linux kernel, it uses its own kernel based off of BSD and the mach kernel.

Offline PC

« Reply #414: March 05, 2015, 03:51:14 PM »
I recently started using lxle, a lightweght (supposed) Ubuntu derivative.  It has all the features including a mock Unity/Charms bar on the right.  What I like most about it, though, is the look and feel.  It is the most beautifully clean linux distro I've ever seen.

http://lxle.net

Offline Nathan

« Reply #415: March 05, 2015, 05:34:30 PM »
Lubuntu is another variant of Ubuntu that uses LXDE.

Online Mattionals

« Reply #416: July 11, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »
Bump from the grave. So I have been on the fence about my next computer (Mac Mini late 2012 currently) and made the following decisions:

1. I want at least a machine that can display 4K at 60 Hz. 5K is preferred (It gives space for dock/menu bar at the bottom of the screen while still watching full 4K video)
2. I would like something with at least a quad core for multi threaded programming (not a gamer, but I do lots of multitasking)
3. I want something compact, as space is always a consideration.

Given the requirements and since I am an OSX user for years, I looked into the Mac Pro and iMac retina. Even after using Mac exclusively for years, I decided that the price premium was not worth it to me anymore, and the inability to get just what I wanted was troublesome.

I will never go back to Windows. I use Windows on my work tablet and workstation laptop, and I am honestly tired of Windows entirely. I do have plenty of experience building PC's for many years, but gave it up when I decided to run dedicated Apple all the time. I was then planning on doing a Hackintosh, but the issues with stability, lack of upgrades, and very particular component selection made this not an option.

That brings me to now. I have decided to give Ubuntu a shot after not using it since around the 2008 time frame. I was still in college, and given my needs at the time (Engineering Student), I ultimately gave it about one week and then deleted the partition and moved to Windows (bad move). So I have started to purchase parts of my new system build, and I decided that I should get used to Ubuntu so I dual booted my Mac Mini.

All I have to say is I am making the right choice. Vivid Vervet is a pretty slick OS, and the support on the internet is pretty awe inspiring. I'm not afraid of Terminal, so I have found that I am comfortably able to strike a happy medium point between a smooth experience and just enough Terminal usage that usually deters many.