Author Topic: Magic Number: Angelos can suck it and like it  (Read 27687 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Anyone have a guess as to when playoff invoices will be sent out?  Based on my limited knowledge of how this works, there are two primary options for season ticket holders to purchase tickets.  First we will be offered an option to buy tickets to cover every playoff game assuming that every series goes the distance for premium prices, a significant amount of cash.  Then any unsold tickets will be made available as a pre sale in limited numbers.  Full season plan holders will get to keep their regular seats while partial plan holders will be bumped back. 

I'd like to know early because our ticket group has never had to define exactly how tickets will be distributed.  I know that the head of our group will want to attend every game so I'm just hoping to get invited to a few games in the good seats and then i'll get my own tickets for the other games via my own plan.

Online HalfSmokes

Re: 2012 Playoff Invoices
« Reply #1: June 22, 2012, 12:31:49 PM »
If I ran this board, which thank your personal god I don't, I would ban anyone posting the word "playoff" in an thread prior to September 28th.  It's still June people.

Offline Count Walewski

« Reply #2: June 22, 2012, 12:38:00 PM »
When the Tampa Bay Rays made the playoffs for the first time, they had to put detailed guidance on their website as to how to MLB playoff format worked. It was amusing, and something I hope we get made fun of for later this year.

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #3: June 22, 2012, 12:40:09 PM »
I vaguely recall back in 2005, with the Nats still theoretically within reach of a playoff berth, they sent out invoices with perhaps a month left in the season - again that's if I remember correctly. After the Nats were mathematically eliminated, incumbent STH who were renewing for 2006 were allowed to use the money paid as a down payment on their 2006 season tickets.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #4: June 22, 2012, 12:40:22 PM »
When the Tampa Bay Rays made the playoffs for the first time, they had to put detailed guidance on their website as to how to MLB playoff format worked. It was amusing, and something I hope we get made fun of for later this year.

Any chance you have a link to that guidance or even comments about it?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #5: June 22, 2012, 12:42:54 PM »
I vaguely recall back in 2005, with the Nats still theoretically within reach of a playoff berth, they sent out invoices with perhaps a month left in the season - again that's if I remember correctly. After the Nats were mathematically eliminated, incumbent STH who were renewing for 2006 were allowed to use the money paid as a down payment on their 2006 season tickets.

I need to do an email search to look for that, I do recall receiving something. Of course with new ownership and possibly new MLB policies things may have changed.

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #6: June 22, 2012, 01:02:45 PM »
MDS - you are so demanding.  You're worse than a woman
If the Nationals wait until September, there isn't enough time to get all the logistical tasks completed

_______________________________________ _______________________________________ _______________________________________ _________
If I ran this board, which thank your personal god I don't, I would ban anyone posting the word "playoff" in an thread prior to September 28th.  It's still June people.

Offline MorseTheHorse

« Reply #7: June 22, 2012, 01:50:22 PM »
I'm so tempted to start a poll along the lines of "Most likely NLCS opponent" just to troll MDS. 

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #8: June 22, 2012, 01:57:17 PM »
I'm so tempted to start a poll along the lines of "Most likely NLCS opponent" just to troll MDS. 

If you do it, I'll start one for the World Series :lol:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #9: June 22, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
So I just checked the MLB board for info from 2005.  In August the team offered up partial plans for September that included the rights to purchase a set number of payoff tickets.  By September people knew where their seats were and surprisingly the partial plan holders were pissed about being significantly down graded in their seat locations.  There was some talk about whether a 20 game plan in the expensive seats should give higher priority over a 41 game plan in the cheap seats.  No mention at that time of preference based on seniority.  Also there was speculation about whether committing to buy tickets for 2006 would guarantee good payoff tickets.  Finally there were a number of rude fans of other teams scoffing at the idea that Nats fans were even discussing playoff tickets.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #10: June 22, 2012, 06:01:17 PM »
It should take seniority into account!  Ive been a Season ticket holder since O5.  I think I should have priority of GETTING tickets over someone who just joined THIS YEAR REGARDLESS OF PLAN.

The Os only allowed so many games per round based on SENIORITY and type of plan.  Ie.  13 Sunday plan would have 1 Ds, 2 ALCS and 2 Ws tickets. 

I agree though, no talk of playoff and tucket until later. 

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #11: June 22, 2012, 06:16:28 PM »
It should take seniority into account!  Ive been a Season ticket holder since O5.  I think I should have priority of GETTING tickets over someone who just joined THIS YEAR REGARDLESS OF PLAN.[...]

Absolutely - charter STH who stuck with this team through thick and thin (lots and lots of thin) should get precedence over the Johnny-come-latelies who just climbed aboard when the team started winning. To let newbies crowd in the queue is unconscionable.

If we do make the post-season, I'd better get first crack at TBSITH....

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
« Reply #12: June 22, 2012, 06:18:58 PM »
Absolutely - charter STH who stuck with this team through thick and thin (lots and lots of thin) should get precedence over the Johnny-come-latelies who just climbed aboard when the team started winning. To let newbies crowd in the queue is unconscionable.

Money is still money, no matter who it comes from

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #13: June 22, 2012, 06:44:43 PM »
Money is still money, no matter who it comes from

Right, I think that is the more likely scenario, seniority is of much lower value than money spent this year and money committed for next year.  If they follow the 2005 model we'll be given the chance to buy tickets to every game as long as we are willing to write a huge check for downgraded seating, count me in on that.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #14: June 22, 2012, 06:50:59 PM »

If we do make the post-season, I'd better get first crack at TBSITH....

Forgive me for being a moron and too lazy to look it up, although I suspect each team differs. But if I'm an 81 game ST holder, I get my seat assuming I fork over the $$$? If that's not the case, I'm going to murder the FO and whoever is sitting in *my* seat.

Same better apply to the All-Star game, and again, curious if anyone knows that answer. Likewise, any STH since 08 better get first dibs at extra tickets, regardless of  number of games.

Btw, seriously, if playoffs mean even full STH get downgraded, and you somehow get section 129, Row E, Seat 15, watch your back. I'll be coming for you.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #15: June 22, 2012, 06:59:23 PM »
Forgive me for being a moron and too lazy to look it up, although I suspect each team differs. But if I'm an 81 game ST holder, I get my seat assuming I fork over the $$$? If that's not the case, I'm going to murder the FO and whoever is sitting in *my* seat.

Same better apply to the All-Star game, and again, curious if anyone knows that answer. Likewise, any STH since 08 better get first dibs at extra tickets, regardless of  number of games.

Btw, seriously, if playoffs mean even full STH get downgraded, and you somehow get section 129, Row E, Seat 15, watch your back. I'll be coming for you.

Full season ticket holders will get their same seats for the playoffs.  You will have to pay about double the regular season ticket price and you will have to pay for all of the games in early September with the assumption that the team plays the maximum number of games in every round, so as long as you are willing to write that check you're golden.

As far as the ASG goes you will not get your same seats.  Depending on the STH base at the point that we get the game you should be able to get tickets, but they will be no where near the dugouts.  MLB reserves all of the best seats for VIPs.  Full season ticket plan holders will be getting their first glimpse of the 400 level.

Offline OldChelsea

« Reply #16: June 22, 2012, 07:06:25 PM »

At the Capitals, DC United, Mystics and Wizards, STH get their regular seats (provided they pay, as you state).

I think the commissioner's office controls ASG seats (because I think every club gets at least a few seats - host club gets more of course but...)

No chance of my sitting there (never heard of being able to 'upgrade' to a higher price tier, and I wouldn't want to sit there anyway). As stated earlier, it had better be TBSITH for yours truly.

Offline Coladar

« Reply #17: June 22, 2012, 08:31:37 PM »
At the Capitals, DC United, Mystics and Wizards, STH get their regular seats (provided they pay, as you state).

I think the commissioner's office controls ASG seats (because I think every club gets at least a few seats - host club gets more of course but...)

No chance of my sitting there (never heard of being able to 'upgrade' to a higher price tier, and I wouldn't want to sit there anyway). As stated earlier, it had better be TBSITH for yours truly.

I figured that had to be the case, but likewise the tone of the thread was causing me to doubt it, although obviously discussing partial plans. The All-Star game, I would hope they offer them not randomly to STHs, but go by seniority. Hopefully we find that out one day.

From all your raves, you obviously have a great seat and got lucky. Likewise, for me, while obviously one row up would be ideal (Row E is the second row behind the dugout.), it's hard to discount how awesome it is to be able to chat with players between innings. We both got lucky the day seats were handed out. :)

Offline Displaced Bucco

• Atlanta delenda est - Davey the Elder & WT Sherman
« Reply #18: June 22, 2012, 11:25:23 PM »
I wonder how many partial season ticket plans the Nats have sold

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #19: June 24, 2012, 08:59:26 AM »
Coladar, prepared to be pissed off, according to Nats320, back in 2005 the people with the absolute best seats were the ones who got bumped back.  Based on this account it looks like they didn't just move everyone back the same amount, instead it was the guys down front who got moved back behind the other season ticket holders.  Nothing with MLB and the Lerner family would shock me greatly when it comes to mis-treatment of the fan base, but this does seem like it would be hard to believe. 

In any case it's clear that the process won't be pretty and it's a certainty that it will be poorly communicated from the FO.

Remember back in 2005--that Fabulous Inaugural Season for Our Washington Nationals? When Washington was still in the playoff hunt in September--Major League Baseball sent out Deposit Slips and Seat Locations if--by chance--Our Washington Nationals made the 2005 Division Series. Of course, MLB asked for the entire Kit & Kaboodle. The costs were exorbinant, (in fact, playoff tickets, for Sohna and I, were nearly as costly as Our Entire 2005 Season Ticket Package), but that's not my point to make here. Maybe, some other time.

And, MLB asked that EVERYONE PAY FOR EACH AND EVERY PLAYOFF and Potential World Series Game--even if Washington did not make it that far. Of course, you could not get a refund. That money would go to MLB's Coffers--as Future Purchases--forwarded to your 2006 Season Ticket Account. As bad as that seemed--fortunately, I never paid up--as it was CLEAR Our Nats were floundering too badly down the stretch to make the playoffs.

But, more importantly, and the gist of this post--MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL informed a few thousand Season Ticket Holders at RFK Stadium that their 2005 Playoff Seats--if Washington competed--would not be their regular seats. So MLB and their Corporate Sponsors could be TREATED to the playoff games. Our Washington Nationals Season Ticket Holders--with the highest price seats--would be TREATED to The Upper Deck at RFK! How Nice. How comforting that Major League Baseball cared so much.

http://nats320.blogspot.com/2007/10/post-season-sham.html
Man I miss this guy's blog, nobody covered the team like he did.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #20: June 24, 2012, 09:07:24 AM »
One thing 320 got wrong was that the Nats did allow fans to request a refund for games not played rather than requiring them to roll the money into 2006 tickets.

So if the maximum number of games is 12, I'd assume that the ticket prices are at least doubled on average (they would not be the same price for each round), so someone with a pair of tickets in the $60 section would be looking at a minimum of a $2.900 credit card charge.  Ouch, but I'd pay my share in a second considering that the only way I'm on the hook for the full amount would be if it included game 7 of the World Series.

Nats Will Start Mailing Invoices for Playoff Seats

By Thomas Heath
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, September 20, 2005

With less than two weeks left in the regular season and the Washington Nationals barely hanging on to their playoff chances, team officials this week will send invoices for playoff tickets to season ticket holders.

Nationals President Tony Tavares said he was waiting until the last minute so he could assess the team's chances before asking customers to pay for the tickets.

"I'm the holdup," Tavares said. "I didn't want people accusing me of being unrealistic by billing them for something we have no chance of and then saying, 'All you want is my money.' "

There are 14,000 season ticket account holders, who account for about 22,000 seats at RFK Stadium. All 14,000 will have the opportunity to purchase their seats for 11 potential postseason games, starting with a wild-card tiebreaker game on Oct. 3 at home, if necessary, according to a Nationals spokesman.

There is a potential of having up to three home games during the National League Division Series and then four home games during the National League Championship Series. If the Nationals make it to the World Series, the tickets will include three home games because the American League has home-field advantage after winning the All-Star Game.

The tickets will be priced higher than the regular season price and will increase if the Nationals advance through the playoffs toward the World Series.

If the Nationals don't make the playoffs or are eliminated during the playoffs, fans can indicate on the ticket form whether to have the balance returned to them or credited toward 2006 season tickets, according to a team spokesman.

Tavares acknowledged waiting until the last minute to issue order forms but said he didn't want to tie up fans' money.

"I've billed early and I've billed late, and what you get accused of when billing early is taking advantage of people in their enthusiasm," he said. "You get accused of holding on to people's money when it's better off in their pocket."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/09/19/AR2005091901501.html

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #21: June 24, 2012, 09:14:40 AM »
Did I write "at least doubled on average"?  Well this guy had his $13 a game seats increase to $79 per playoff game, and his location was moved five sections further away from the action.  This sort of treatment of long time Nats fans who have been loyal during the 100 loss seasons is an absolute outrage, it's just not right.

I have been scalped! September 21, 2005
Got my playoff ticket notice email yesterday. Linked in to look at the invoice after returning from last night’s loss to the Bonds. Yikes.

I have 2 seats for the 41 game plan, section 512, row 2, seats 13 and 14. Really sweet seats if you ask me (and everyone who has used them agrees). It provides a prime view of the whole field (minus that annoying far right field corner) while also allowing a close enough look at the pitcher’s and batter’s mechanics. Very happy at $13 a seat a game.

I don’t know what I expected when the playoff tickets came out. Of course, I knew they would be more expensive. I even expected to get different seats since the marketing text said only that I would be guaranteed the same number of seats for the playoffs.

So, first the invoice shows me that I will be moving 5 sections over towards the outfield. Section 507, row 2, seats 7-8. Not great but better than those really bad outfield seats.

Then the price. Bottom line: $1669. freak. There are two playoff related charges, one for a Playoff Handling Charge at $23 and another Playoff Surcharge for $66. That leaves $1580 for the price of the seats. If this covers 10 games as I have read, that is $79 dollars a seat a game.

The result: if the probability gods make an example of the Nationals and let them in the playoffs, I will be watching on TV. Some other soul, probably someone who thinks it is important to be seen at a big sporting event yet can’t name more than a couple of National players, will be sitting in Section 507, Row 2, Seats 7-8.

http://www.natsatbat.com/2005/09/

Offline Coladar

« Reply #22: June 24, 2012, 10:04:02 AM »
Did I write "at least doubled on average"?  Well this guy had his $13 a game seats increase to $79 per playoff game, and his location was moved five sections further away from the action.  This sort of treatment of long time Nats fans who have been loyal during the 100 loss seasons is an absolute outrage, it's just not right.

http://www.natsatbat.com/2005/09/

All this was when MLB owned the team, and not only not care about STH's but have incentive to give the best seats away ala all star games. Likewise, if it happened again, obviously my seat would be one of the first... in which case all I can say is whoever gets 129 E 15 better hire a security guard for the next year.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #23: June 24, 2012, 10:07:28 AM »
All this was when MLB owned the team, and not only not care about STH's but have incentive to give the best seats away ala all star games. Likewise, if it happened again, obviously my seat would be one of the first... in which case all I can say is whoever gets 129 E 15 better hire a security guard for the next year.

I'm sure you're going to risk a 3-5 year prison stint for aggravated assault over this.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #24: June 24, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »

Like the ASG, tickets for the World Series are to a large degree controlled by MLB, so the Lerners will only control a certain percentage of the seats available and with the increased demand there is certain to be a large number of angry fans.  I wonder how they handle seat locations for each round of the playoffs, great seats like yours would be highly likely to be claimed by MLB for the World Series, but less likely for the earlier rounds of the playoffs, so they might let you keep your seats for the first round or two.