Author Topic: Magic: The Gathering, and other geeky game crap.  (Read 754 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
So the guys at the comic and game shop taught me how to play Magic: The Gathering.

And they collectively got me a deck to start out with.

Should i be afraid of MTG?

Anyone..? Bueller?

Offline JMW IV

Also, it is not lost on me that I look severely out of place in a Comic/Game shop. Its kinda funny to me, actually.

Offline HalfSmokes

I played it in middle school, nice to know its still around

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
No idea how to play.  Seems like it might be over my head :lol:

Also, it is not lost on me that I look severely out of place in a Comic/Game shop. Its kinda funny to me, actually.

:spit: :lmao:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness

Just like me at a Paul Mooney show and mosque.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Fun but addictive game. Granted haven't played since college although I still the cards around someplace. Made a killing on the rare ones when it was crazy popular.

Offline JMW IV

:spit: :lmao:

yeah, imagine a room full of old fat white guys playing Magic or scrawny little white teenagers playing Warhammer 40k(with the little action figures and crap)....and in walks a 5'10 200 pound bald black guy walking with a bop, wearing a Strasburg shirt and blasting rap music in his headphones. in the middle of West Virginia.

lol..everyone in the place looked at me suspiciously..like..."ummm wtf is this guy doing here"....until we started talking about Ender's Game. then everyone settled down, and eventually I learned how to play Magic.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Imagine Starcraft set in the past and in some wizarding world instead of centuries into the future.

Now imagine that as a card game wherein the designers sucker you into paying hundreds of dollars just to have a diversified arsenal so you can stave off your enemies' attacks.

That's MTG.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I played D&D in college and for a short while afterward.  Never got back into it but I thought it was a good time...

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
Imagine Starcraft set in the past and in some wizarding world instead of centuries into the future.

Wouldn't this just be Warcraft? :shrug:

Offline captkirk42

• Curly W Cards
Until a few months back looking/lurking around Ebay I thought that MTG was over and done with about 10 years ago. Ditto for Pokeman and many of those other CCG games. I see that I was wrong though there still seems to be a niche for at least MTG.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Up until college I played an absurd number of roleplaying games (AD&D, Shadowrun, Marvel, Cyberpunk, Kult, Fringeworthy, Vampire/Werewolf/Mage, etc.) including a fantasy steampunk game I created using the Aria: Canticle of the Monomyth ruleset. I even went to a couple TwinCon conventions.

My claim to geek fame at TwinCon was sucessfully trapping a who's who of Dragonlance characters in an alternate universe as Raistlin Majere in a game run by Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weis through various plotting and subterfuge. In the end, they freed them in the name of story balance, but Hickman admited I outfoxed him and presented me with an award for character authenticity. I wonder if I still have that thing.

Online KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Wouldn't this just be Warcraft? :shrug:

Never played Warcraft so I wouldn't know.

Offline JMW IV

Changed the thread title, so that we can talk about D&D and war hammer n crap in this thread too.

That said, mtg has been around for almost 20 years, you would think that a legit competitor would come about.

Offline Nathan

I played Warhammer a few times, had some models and used different styles of dice and things to represent other units I didn't have.  Didn't like it too much.  DnD was fun the few times I played it.  I really liked some other game, dungeon quest or something?  You actually had a laid out cardboard map pieces and went through the dungeon slaying things.  I'd play that again, wish I knew what it was :lol:

Offline JMW IV

I Got my first deck put together, with help from one of the comic shop dudes.

Haven't had a chance to play it yet. Maybe on Friday.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
My cousin and I were talking about it yesterday and now he wants to get together and play D&D online.

Offline Obed_Marsh

Is the game any good? Aside from the name at a quick glance it just looks like another MMO.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
Is the game any good? Aside from the name at a quick glance it just looks like another MMO.

Not the online game but the old-school paper and dice game but using a means of mass communication (like Skype).

Offline hammondsnats

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
I played when I wad twelve then sold my cardd for cash cash money

Offline Nathan

I played Warhammer a few times, had some models and used different styles of dice and things to represent other units I didn't have.  Didn't like it too much.  DnD was fun the few times I played it.  I really liked some other game, dungeon quest or something?  You actually had a laid out cardboard map pieces and went through the dungeon slaying things.  I'd play that again, wish I knew what it was :lol:

Dammit, what was this game?  I can't remember the name and now it's bugging me.

Offline JMW IV

Commander is an awesome game mode! I got to finally play it tonight. Its a lot of fun.

My Commander Deck sucks though, i need to get more cards lol.