Author Topic: One RF thread to rule them all  (Read 19860 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: One RF thread to rule them all
« Reply #325: May 06, 2010, 01:29:34 PM »
So you are saying team up Jesus with DeJesus second half of the year?  Does he have the arm for right?

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #326: May 06, 2010, 01:36:53 PM »
If it does happen, we could have Jesus, Jesus and DeJesus all on the same team.  Whoever the team chaplain is might be feeling a squeezed out.

Not sure about his arm, but with Ankiel and Pods in the KC outfield, he's been playing RF all year.  He's a good defensive outfielder and is decent offensively.  He's struggled to meet his 2008 numbers last year and so far this year. 

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #327: May 06, 2010, 02:28:05 PM »
Ryan Church is batting .288 with 2 HR, 7 RBI, 4 2B and .834 OPS.  Just dropping his line here.

Where's Church right now anyway?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #328: May 06, 2010, 02:33:26 PM »
With the Pirates.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #329: May 06, 2010, 02:37:03 PM »
With the Pirates.

Can we trade them Batista for Church?

Offline daveb32

« Reply #330: May 06, 2010, 02:41:16 PM »
Can we trade them Batista for Church?

Can he hit breaking balls now?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #331: May 06, 2010, 02:52:01 PM »
Can he hit breaking balls now?

If he was that vulnerable to breaking balls, why would anyone throw him anything else?  His numbers are achieved with full disclosure of any weaknesses he may have, and the full concerted effort of every pitcher in MLB to find and exploit same.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #332: May 06, 2010, 02:54:22 PM »
If he was that vulnerable to breaking balls, why would anyone throw him anything else?  His numbers are achieved with full disclosure of any weaknesses he may have, and the full concerted effort of every pitcher in MLB to find and exploit same.

I'd take him as our RF!

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #333: May 06, 2010, 03:47:08 PM »

Get a room!   ;)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #335: May 07, 2010, 12:04:54 PM »
Bernadina / Maxwell / Taveras better start making the most of their playing time.  Mike Morse is now batting .276 with a homer, double and 4 rbi.

Another candidate to keep an eye on is Kevin Mench.  He has played LF and RF (I don't know if he's played CF at all this year), he's batting .315, with a homer, 5 doubles and 15 rbi.  But here's the capper ... he's walked 10 times and only has struck out TWICE!  2004 and 2005 were his best years, while 06/07 were just so-so.  But maybe he's found his way back? 

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #336: May 07, 2010, 04:59:43 PM »
In the spring, I thought a Mench /Duncan platoon might beat out Dukes.  Maybe I can eventually be half right.  Mench I think historically is a platoon player.  I'm not sure I see him playing ahead of JMax unless he just stops hitting.  don't know the D, either. My impression was that he's bulky and therefore can't field, but maybe I'm just a judgmental bigot who dislikes large headed people.

Offline blue911

« Reply #337: May 07, 2010, 05:50:50 PM »
In the spring, I thought a Mench /Duncan platoon might beat out Dukes.  Maybe I can eventually be half right.  Mench I think historically is a platoon player.  I'm not sure I see him playing ahead of JMax unless he just stops hitting.  don't know the D, either. My impression was that he's bulky and therefore can't field, but maybe I'm just a judgmental bigot who dislikes large headed people.

:'(

:nono:

:razz:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #338: May 07, 2010, 11:05:12 PM »
I just watched Mench run the Chiefs out of the first inning in Stras's start. I'm ready to go all SF/AC on him.

Actually, I like his bat a lot.  But, if Max is being sent down, then I suspect Morse will get a call up when Chico gets sent down.

I actually do not mind rotating a few players through the 25th man slot.  While I don't think Taveras deserves roster space and would prefer he was gone, I don't mind Rizzo and Riggs looking at the schedule and pitching needs and rotating guys with options on and off the 25 man (Max, Bernie, Morse, English, Chico, etc...).

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #339: May 07, 2010, 11:06:30 PM »
I can't believe I used actually twice in the first sentence of consecutive paragraphs.  Actually, I can.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #340: May 09, 2010, 11:43:49 AM »
Cafardo mentions DeJesus in his weekly:
http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2010/05/09/at_fenway_seats_are_full_but_something_is_missing/?page=4
David DeJesus, OF, Royals — He is more than available for teams needing a lefthanded-hitting outfielder. In return, the Royals would want bullpen help and some sort of a positional prospect. DeJesus gets on base and can drive in the tough run, can play all three outfield positions, and is still young enough (31) to be incorporated in either short- or long-term plans. He earns $4.5 million this season and has a $6 million option for next year.

Lets' see, Bruney plus Bernardina?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #342: May 10, 2010, 11:16:21 PM »
Kilgore:

Mike Rizzo on the Nationals right field situation
For the most part this season, the Nationals have used Willie Harris, Justin Maxwell and Roger Bernadina to replace Elijah Dukes in right field. While the Nationals have received minimal offensive production from their right fielders this season, General Manager Mike Rizzo said he is content with the position and expressed his hope to find out what, exactly, the Nationals have in Bernadina and Maxwell, who was just sent down to Class AAA. Rizzo expressed no desire to upgrade the position through an acquisition from outside the organization.

"We're certainly going to give our young players a chance to win the job on an everyday basis," Rizzo said. "We've seen a lot of good things in Roger. [Maxwell], when he was up here had flashes of good stuff. We feel good about the position. We're going to find out what these players can do, not only for the rest of 2010, but for beyond."

Nationals right fielders have hit .167 this season with a combined .630 on-base plus slugging percentage, which ranks them last and 28th, respectively. Their defense has been improved, particularly when Harris or Maxwell play. Harris has a 24.3 UZR/150 as a right fielder, while Maxwell had a 31.5 UZR/150 before being sent down.

"From where we came from, we think we have a better chance of winning games with the outfield situation that we have now than we had in the past," Rizzo said. "We play much better defense, and the productivity hasn't fallen off."

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #343: May 10, 2010, 11:22:13 PM »
please send down roger

Offline greven

« Reply #344: May 11, 2010, 07:43:21 AM »
In all seriousness,

what about trading for micah owings and converting him to RF? He sure has a goddamn awesome bat even with his irregular at-bats

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #345: May 11, 2010, 08:44:39 AM »
I saw Micah play for Tulane, that kid was a  talent and I was always hoping he would be an everyday player instead of a pitcher.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #346: May 11, 2010, 08:55:11 AM »
OK, I'm dumb as a rock. please look at my avatar and signature line, but humor me and tell me what is wrong after you look at what Willie's OBP and SLG for the past 3 years (2007, 2008, 2009[/color]) and this year v. RHP and look at the same for J-Max this year.  The best I've heard so far is that J-Max cannot keep drawing walks once people figure out they can get him out in the strike zone and that he is willing to take a walk.  I can buy that J-Max isn't for real yet. But to make it real simple for those who don't even like OBP - he's 0-11 against righties, which is why his average stinks. Against lefites, he's hit .267, geting on half the time, and chipping in some power.

SO PLAY WILLIE AGAINST RIGHTIES, AND PLAY J-MAX AGAINST LEFTIES, and our right field problem disappears.  What is so difficult about this?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #347: May 11, 2010, 09:09:50 AM »
One difference between 2005 and this year besides the bats are much better, is that after the all-star break the Nats kind of fell off or tired out. This year we will be looking to add Jesus and hopefully Wang in June, with Detweiler and Zimm coming behind them. We will actually be improving the team! OMFG this is so awesome, I love this year's squad. It's so nice to finally be winning again.
You are on to something.  We were not allowed to bring in reinforcements when we were contending for the WC in 2005. Really, just Zimmerman on the early call up.  This year, the reinforcements are in the system, some are clearly ready, others are getting well first.  We should have majors leaguers to run out there in the second half when the first group tires.

Also - Kudos to the "other ones" in the bullpen.  It was like seeing the Dead without Jerry.

Offline CJames0569

« Reply #348: May 11, 2010, 09:16:48 AM »
You are on to something.  We were not allowed to bring in reinforcements when we were contending for the WC in 2005. Really, just Zimmerman on the early call up.  This year, the reinforcements are in the system, some are clearly ready, others are getting well first.  We should have majors leaguers to run out there in the second half when the first group tires.

This is part of the reason why I don't think we need to, nor will we, make a move at the deadline if we are in contention for the wild card/division. When we add these guys, we can send Stammen, Lannan, etc. to the bullpen and revamp it for the second half. Hopefully by that time we will have the RF situation figured out because unfortunately I don't see Rizzo adressing the issue until the offseason.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #349: May 11, 2010, 09:19:09 AM »
This is part of the reason why I don't think we need to, nor will we, make a move at the deadline if we are in contention for the wild card/division. When we add these guys, we can send Stammen, Lannan, etc. to the bullpen and revamp it for the second half. Hopefully by that time we will have the RF situation figured out because unfortunately I don't see Rizzo adressing the issue until the offseason.
If we're still in the race after the break, I think he'll make a move to address at least the RF spot.