Author Topic: One RF thread to rule them all  (Read 20203 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: One RF thread to rule them all
« Reply #200: April 17, 2010, 10:53:21 AM »
the pick off wasn't pretty, but harris got on 2 out of the 4 times he was up.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #201: April 17, 2010, 07:59:17 PM »
Justin Maxwell. Give him a good solid run of starts.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #202: April 17, 2010, 08:34:35 PM »
Justin Maxwell. Give him a good solid run of starts.
I've checked this few times, because I've goofed this up before, but I think the guy he hit his homer off of was a lefty (Wolf).  That was his left arm he was throwing with, correct?  Isn't that the whole idea of a platoon?

Let me flip this around - who out there thinks Maxwell will do better against righties than Willie H?  Harris has been a > .355 OBP guy the past 3 years with nearly 1000 PAs against RHP. He's SLG'd over .400 each year.  Who out there thinks Max's OPS against righties would be over .750?  Who thinks he could maintain that over 300 plate appearances?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #203: April 17, 2010, 08:48:39 PM »
Check Christina's piece on the matter. Maxwell will be a good platoon guy. No doubt about it. But what if he can be a star player, or a Willingham level player? Let's find out. Willie Harris will be there.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #204: April 17, 2010, 08:53:37 PM »
I just think you start small. Platoon him for a few months. Then, if he's tearing the cover off the ball, start giving him chances to start v RHP when you give Willingham or Zimmerman a day off (Willie moving over).  Eventually, if we drop out of contention, Harris gets traded as bench strength. If J-Max is cutting it by then, you'll see what you have. 

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #205: April 17, 2010, 08:57:05 PM »
I just think you start small. Platoon him for a few months. Then, if he's tearing the cover off the ball, start giving him chances to start v RHP when you give Willingham or Zimmerman a day off (Willie moving over).  Eventually, if we drop out of contention, Harris gets traded as bench strength. If J-Max is cutting it by then, you'll see what you have. 

Christina was worried about the ego of the prospect. Platooning him is a demotion . . .

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #206: April 17, 2010, 09:05:39 PM »
Christina was worried about the ego of the prospect. Platooning him is a demotion . . .
Well, I'll trust the team to have an idea about his psyche at this point in his career.  Certainly, ROY/MVP types have had a slow start, so maybe she is right. But for others, I think you look for a chance for the guy to succeed.

And, by the way, I take it you'd not be expecting better performance out of Max alone than a Max / Harris platoon.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #207: April 17, 2010, 09:08:31 PM »
[quote

And, by the way, I take it you'd not be expecting better performance out of Max alone than a Max / Harris platoon.

If it were possible, every team would have a platoon at all 3 outfield positions. But there has to be a value in an everyday guy, too. I want to see his power develop, and the starter rarely goes 9 innings. If they are a suitable platoon, great.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #208: April 17, 2010, 10:03:12 PM »
If we throw Maxwell and Harris out there every game its kind of pointless IMO when we could have someone that contributes alot more. Willingham for 2011 IN LF!!

J-Max was getting it done today.  Slick D, and had a little pop. :)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #209: April 18, 2010, 11:59:33 AM »
If it were possible, every team would have a platoon at all 3 outfield positions. But there has to be a value in an everyday guy, too. I want to see his power develop, and the starter rarely goes 9 innings. If they are a suitable platoon, great.
I don't think so.  It all depends on your personnel.  You only have a limited number of roster spots, so I don't think carrying 6 OFs simply to platoon makes sense.  However, it does help where your 3d and 4th OFs show big splits (certainly Willie does) and you can take advantage of those splits to get above average play out of a combination that is, individually, average, below average, or limited in durability.  A guy like Willingham hits righties very well.  You would not platoon him.  Morgan is so good defensively that you keep him out there most every day, but I'll bet that when he does get a day off, it'll be against a tough lefty and Taveras will be out there. 
J-Max was getting it done today.  Slick D, and had a little pop. :)
Very happy too. I want to see him work out.

I'll admit I'm coming at this to maximize short term performance.  I can see the argument that, this team is going nowhere, that 65 - 70 wins would be the right direction, that we need to see if J-Max is the next Mike Cameron or Jason Werth, and that we will not know until we try. 

I/M/O, I think a Willie H / J-Max platoon will be worth 10 - 15 runs above average, produce 0 - 5 runs above average, and end up being worth about 3 - 4 WAR. That is very good.  Among NL RFs in 2009, Only Upton and Werth produced more than that individually.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #210: April 18, 2010, 12:00:45 PM »
I don't think so.  It all depends on your personnel.  You only have a limited number of roster spots, so I don't think carrying 6 OFs simply to platoon makes sense.

Hence, "if it were possible."

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #211: April 28, 2010, 08:54:13 PM »
Boil Lidslick says that the new RF platoon will be the young'ens -the Bernie Max Show.  Harris reverts to his former role as SuperWillie, flying in to rescue positions in need of a true American hero.  Needless to say, my signature line objects.

The Nationals have a new platoon system in right field. Manager Jim Riggleman announced Wednesday that Roger Bernadina and Justin Maxwell will split the duties, while Willie Harris and Willy Taveras will go back on the bench.

Riggleman went so far as to say that he wants Bernadina or Maxwell to one day take over the position on a regular basis. With the Nats facing four right-handed starters the next four games, including Wednesday's contest against the Cubs, Bernadina will get the starts.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #212: April 28, 2010, 09:06:33 PM »
Roger looked pretty good today, especially on that throw to 3rd.  Hopefully one of those guys steps up.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #213: April 28, 2010, 09:10:50 PM »
Boil Lidslick says that the new RF platoon will be the young'ens -the Bernie Max Show.  Harris reverts to his former role as SuperWillie, flying in to rescue positions in need of a true American hero.  Needless to say, my signature line objects.

Willie won't complain.  He'll always be there when America needs him.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #214: April 28, 2010, 09:44:14 PM »
If I liked Harris in right for his defense, then I can't have a problem with giving Bernie a shot.  If Bernie maintains a decent OBP, then it will be nice to get his speed in the line up.  The one thing I think I have a problem with is that this seems to be more of a "let's see what we have" move than a move to get the most out of the roster.  I don't like doing that when we are over .500.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #215: April 28, 2010, 09:51:24 PM »
If I liked Harris in right for his defense, then I can't have a problem with giving Bernie a shot.  If Bernie maintains a decent OBP, then it will be nice to get his speed in the line up.  The one thing I think I have a problem with is that this seems to be more of a "let's see what we have" move than a move to get the most out of the roster.  I don't like doing that when we are over .500.

If Jermaine Dye wasn't being so greedy and wasn't such a crappy defensive outfielder, he'd be the guy.  I'm still hoping Maxwell can get going.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #216: April 29, 2010, 12:27:45 AM »

Bloob Joobson passed my suggestion on to the wise Jorm Rogalation and they platoon my boys Rogearvin Bornodono and Jason Muxwhile.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #217: April 29, 2010, 12:33:20 AM »
the Bernie Max Show.  

God Bless his funny-ass soul.

a real American hero.  

fixed.

Photoshop. Now.

Offline UMDNats

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #219: April 29, 2010, 02:41:07 AM »
Play the Kids!

I like it.

Offline imref

« Reply #221: April 29, 2010, 09:27:47 AM »
You know, if one of the kids can't step up maybe we could trade for jose guillen?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #222: April 29, 2010, 01:40:40 PM »
You know, if one of the kids can't step up maybe we could trade for jose guillen?

Not sure if you are being serious or not ... but honestly the "gui" is having a solid season.  I know his attitude/clubhouse presence has been questioned, but wasn't he somewhat decent in DC?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back

Offline imref

« Reply #224: April 29, 2010, 02:36:36 PM »
Not sure if you are being serious or not ... but honestly the "gui" is having a solid season.  I know his attitude/clubhouse presence has been questioned, but wasn't he somewhat decent in DC?

yeah, was being serious, he's going to get dealt to a contender before the trading deadline, perhaps that will be us.

.317 / 7HR / .980 OPS / .635 SLG