4 (17.4%)
Rays
0 (0%)
Twins
2 (8.7%)
Rangers
6 (26.1%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: 2010 MLB Playoffs Discussion & Predictions  (Read 12263 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
He was the Ranger's largest unsecured creditor in their chapter 11
Really?  I thought they were off the hook once he opted out in 2007 and resigned with the NYY?  Deferred payments?

Offline houston-nat

The possibility of a Rangers/Giants series has me superexcited.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
 :mg:
The possibility of a Rangers/Giants series has me superexcited.

Me too!   :mg:

Offline DPMOmaha

FOX isn't so much though...not that I'm overly concerned about that.

Offline Sharp

Eh... it's not like SF and Dallas are small markets.  Hell, Dallas is the fourth-largest in the country.  Admittedly it's not much of a baseball market traditionally, but it's also never had a good baseball team before.  It certainly isn't the ratings disaster something like Reds/Twins would be.

Offline DPMOmaha

Eh... it's not like SF and Dallas are small markets.  Hell, Dallas is the fourth-largest in the country.  Admittedly it's not much of a baseball market traditionally, but it's also never had a good baseball team before.  It certainly isn't the ratings disaster something like Reds/Twins would be.
Yeah, it's pretty close.  If the Yanks, Dodgers, Red Sox or Cubs aren't involved, the ratings are pretty much awful across the board.  They'll be up in SF and Dallas, but WAY down everywhere else.  There's also no real compelling super star that America's familiar with to pull anyone in either.

Offline Sharp

Yeah, it's pretty close.  If the Yanks, Dodgers, Red Sox or Cubs aren't involved, the ratings are pretty much awful across the board.  They'll be up in SF and Dallas, but WAY down everywhere else.  There's also no real compelling super star that America's familiar with to pull anyone in either.
Lincecum is as well-known as any pitcher, I'd say (and Cliff Lee is getting there).  Posey and Guerrero are known to most people who follow baseball more than extremely casually.  You're right, though, that it doesn't have the star power that a Phillies / Yankees series would.

Offline DPMOmaha

Lincecum is as well-known as any pitcher, I'd say (and Cliff Lee is getting there).  Posey and Guerrero are known to most people who follow baseball more than extremely casually.  You're right, though, that it doesn't have the star power that a Phillies / Yankees series would.
Pitchers bring a very niche crowd to watch a game, even well known ones.  What Strasburg did this summer is the extreme exception.  People who follow baseball will likely be watching regardless of who's playing in the WS.  There's no one on any roster (other than NYY) that will draw anyone outside of that core group and even then the worst MNF game of the season blew out Cliff Lee vs. the Yanks out of the water last night.

Offline Sharp

Pitchers bring a very niche crowd to watch a game, even well known ones.  What Strasburg did this summer is the extreme exception.  People who follow baseball will likely be watching regardless of who's playing in the WS.  There's no one on any roster (other than NYY) that will draw anyone outside of that core group and even then the worst MNF game of the season blew out Cliff Lee vs. the Yanks out of the water last night.
Considering the vast difference in popularity between football and baseball it didn't really "blow it out of the water."  The ALCS rating was actually really, really good for a game three.  I find it hard to believe that Cliff Lee didn't have anything to do with that.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
Rangers in 5.

Offline HalfSmokes

gotta feel sorry for fox, they had a shot at Yankees Phillies and ended up with Rangers Giants

Online imref

gotta feel sorry for fox, they had a shot at Yankees Phillies and ended up with Rangers Giants

I'd guess the ratings for Lincecum vs. Lee will be very good.  Wilson vs. Sanchez - not so good.

Offline DPMOmaha

I'd guess the ratings for Lincecum vs. Lee will be very good.  Wilson vs. Sanchez - not so good.
No games will be rated well unless there's a game 6 or 7.  These are not the sexy teams in MLB.  It will be hard core fans and the Dallas / San Francisco markets.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
No games will be rated well unless there's a game 6 or 7.  These are not the sexy teams in MLB.  It will be hard core fans and the Dallas / San Francisco markets.

I'm guessing that game 1 draws less than a 4 unless Yankee fans tune in to watch the future ace of their staff (Lee).   :?

Offline DPMOmaha

That's about what I'd guess.

Offline PatsNats28

Rangers have Josh Hamilton too, isn't he fairly marketable? He's a top MVP candidate...

Online imref

and the kids will tune in to see Kung Fu Panda. :)

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I really don't care if it's the highest rated World Series of all time, or the worst.

In fact, I'm not sure why any of us care unless we work for Fox.

I just want the best World Series, and I think we got that.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
I'm actually rooting for a terrible turnout (ratings-wise).  If more WS had terrible ratings then FOX wouldn't re-up when the contract expires.

I can't stand FOX's sports coverage.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
They could have done a lot worse.  And the San Francisco market is pretty much all of northern California, which includes places like San Jose, Sacramento, and Fresno.  Plus it punches well above its weight in terms of mean household income. 

Offline PatsNats28

Are the Rangers popular outside of the Dallas/Fort Worth area?

Offline DPMOmaha

No.  At least not yet.  They could be if they can sustain their success for 3-5 years.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday

They aren't even on TV in Houston from what I remember.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
better question is whether they are popular in the DFW area.  If Troy Aikman throws out a first ball and gets a bigger hand than Nolan ryan, then you'll know the answer.

Offline Sharp

better question is whether they are popular in the DFW area.  If Troy Aikman throws out a first ball and gets a bigger hand than Nolan ryan, then you'll know the answer.
Apparently they're really popular right now, especially with the Cowboys floundering.  The ALCS got pretty high local ratings, 25-30 IIRC.