Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Watch  (Read 98634 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Stephen Strasburg Watch
« Topic Start: February 20, 2009, 10:20:10 AM »
I figured that Strasburg will probably be the center of many people's attention over the next few months and it would only seem right to have a thread dedicated to him.  Mods, if I missed a thread already created for a similar reason than please delete this.

Word is that Strasburg will have his first start of the year tonight, although there will be no tv or radio coverage.

The Strasburg Watch: 2009 Debut Is Today
Judging by the time stamp on Chico's post about the Ryan Zimmerman settlement, it was a rough night for our Nats beat writer. So I'll take the liberty of making the first post of the morning -- well, at least the civilized part of the morning.

Out in southern California this afternoon, the San Diego State Aztecs open their 2009 season against Bethune-Cookman, and according to this story, right-hander Stephen Strasburg, object of the Nationals desire, will be on the mound. We can assume the Nationals will have at least one representative there -- perhaps even Jim Bowden himself, given the fact he was already in Arizona for Zimmerman's scheduled arbitration hearing. But here's a bummer for the rest of us: According to the SDSU website (pdf file), there is no TV or radio coverage of today's game -- just postgame audio clips posted at GoAztecs.com. Strasburg generally pitches every Friday for the Aztecs, and several of his starts later this spring are listed as having radio coverage and/or live webcasts.

The San Diego Union-Tribune's website has no fewer than three stories about Strasburg and the Aztecs, including this fine feature, in which we learn of Strasburg's pre-weight-loss nickname: "Slothburg."

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/nationalsjournal/2009/02/the_strasburg_watch_2009_debut.html

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Stephen Strasburg Watch
« Reply #1: February 20, 2009, 10:21:31 AM »
SDSU's most recent postseason appearance was in 1991.

SDSU coach Tony Gwynn thinks about it all the time.

“Every day,” said Gwynn, whose team went 31-28 last season. “That's never going to change. Obviously, that's what you want to do. That's your goal.”

The Aztecs take the first step toward that goal this afternoon when they open the 2009 season against Bethune Cookman at the MLB Urban Youth Academy Invitational in Compton.

Junior right-hander Stephen Strasburg, the nation's top-rated pitcher, will get the start for SDSU.

“Obviously, having a guy like Strasburg on your staff is a huge thing,” Gwynn said. “But he's got enough pressure already. We're just asking him to lead our young guys and give us a chance to win.

“Everybody points the finger at Stephen being the savior, but we have to get production from everybody.”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/20/1s20azbase223515-aztecs-armed-and-ready-go/?zIndex=55711

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #2: February 20, 2009, 10:28:32 AM »
I'm surprised they aren't televising the game. Sucks.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #3: February 20, 2009, 10:29:27 AM »
Another article from yesterday:

No. 1, with a bullet

Aztecs' hard-throwing Stephen Strasburg, once considered too 'soft,' is now the consensus choice to be the top pick in June's major league draft

By Don Norcross
UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
February 19, 2009

Barely 10 minutes into his first conditioning workout at San Diego State, then-freshman Stephen Strasburg was sprawled in the ice plant, throwing up. The workout was still in its warm-up phase.

Demonstrating that a catcher always supports his ace, Aztecs catcher Matt Parker said, “It was a pretty tough warm-up.”

Strasburg was hardly the picture of fitness at the time. At 6 feet, 3½ inches, he weighed 249 pounds. His cheeks were pink, his stomach flabby.

Dave Ohton, the Aztecs strength coach, saddled him with a nickname.

Slothburg.

Two and a half years later, Strasburg stands 6-4¼. He weighs 225 pounds. His waist is so slender in contrast to his broad shoulders that if this pitching gig doesn't pan out he might try modeling.

His fastball has jumped from 90 mph as a senior at West Hills High to 101 mph. He struck out 23 in one game last April. He keeps a bronze medal stashed inside a safe at his mother's home, courtesy of being the only collegian selected to the U.S. Olympic team last summer.

Barring injury, Strasburg, 20, is expected to be taken first overall in the June amateur draft by the Washington Nationals. Having retained Scott Boras as his adviser, the Aztecs junior right-hander might become the second amateur to command a $10 million contract.

Watching Strasburg pitch in an SDSU scrimmage last month before official practice commenced, scouts huddled behind home plate at Tony Gwynn Stadium could barely contain themselves.

“You gotta put a cocoon around him.”

“The best amateur I've ever seen.”

“Pretty amazing, isn't he?”

Amazing, yes. Amazing that a guy who was not drafted out of high school, a guy whose toughness was questioned, who was told he should consider quitting SDSU's program as a freshman, is now the most talked about amateur pitcher in years.    The rap against Strasburg at West Hills was that he was soft. Soft physically. Soft mentally.

“We always felt if we hung in there with him, we were going to get him,” said El Capitan High coach Steve Vickery. “To be honest with you, most times we did. It might be a bad call by an umpire, a teammate booted a ball. Then he'd lay one over the plate, give up the big hit and we'd score several runs. He just got frustrated and distracted easily.”

Strasburg, though, had an advocate in SDSU pitching coach Rusty Filter.

“Rusty's the one who felt like he had a high ceiling,” Aztecs head coach Tony Gwynn said. “I was kind of skeptical when I saw him pitch in high school. . . . I didn't quite see the same thing (Filter) saw.”

Said Filter: “He was a big guy with a good breaking ball, good command, threw a lot of strikes. I thought he would help right away.”

First, Strasburg had to make it through the fall 2006 conditioning, which was not a pretty sight. He threw up early and often. Teammates had to hold him up after some running drills.

After about five weeks, Strasburg finally completed a workout, although he failed to meet time deadlines on some runs.

“I really appreciate you staying on me and pushing me,” Strasburg told Ohton at the end of the session.

“No problem,” Ohton said. “That's what I'm supposed to do.”

“I think it's helped me,” Strasburg added.

Rather than compliment Strasburg on his perseverance, Ohton said: “You know what I think? I think you should quit.”

Ohton was serious.

“Very rarely have I had an athlete, in all the different sports, not be able to complete a workout after a month,” said Ohton, who's in his 24th season at SDSU.

“When he said that, maybe he was right,” said Strasburg, reflecting on his reaction to Ohton's statement. “But when I really thought about it, when I thought about what I wanted in life, what I wanted to achieve baseball-wise, I wasn't quitting.

“I knew I needed to face reality. If I was going to be successful at this level, I had to really get in shape.”

Besides, that “soft” label kept rattling around his brain.

“It (ticked) me off, a lot of people judging me, whether it was scouts or opposing teams,” Strasburg said. “It fuels a fire.”

Turns out the numbers on the scale created an inverse relationship with the numbers on the radar gun. As one decreased, the other rocketed. Ninety mph morphed into 94 mph as a freshman. The Aztecs' closer that season, Strasburg saved seven games, striking out 47 in 37 innings. Opponents' batting average: .141.

Then came his sophomore season, the fastball touching 101 mph, the 23 strikeouts against Utah, 133 K's in 97 1/3 innings, a trip to Beijing.

In an effort to find out what it's like facing Strasburg, a call was placed to the University of Utah. But on this occasion, Utes coach Bill Kinneberg wouldn't let his players meet the media.

“We gave him enough publicity that night,” Kinneberg said.

“The ball just comes out of his hand, and the next thing you know it's on you,” said USD third baseman Victor Sanchez, who went 0-for-3 with two strikeouts last year against Strasburg. “You have no time to think about it. He's the real deal.”

Strasburg sits on a leather couch inside the alumni lounge at Tony Gwynn Stadium after practice, his baseball cap pulled down over his near-buzz haircut. Framed jerseys of former Aztecs who made it to the majors line the walls – Tony and Chris Gwynn, Mark Grace, Graig Nettles, Bud Black, the late Dave Smith, Bobby Meacham.
Strasburg's hands are dirty, courtesy of yard work, having just yanked crab grass from the infield.

Strasburg is popular among his teammates because while he's months away from becoming a multimillionaire, he's still one of the guys. He lives with two teammates and two others who played baseball at SDSU.

“He won't talk about the draft unless someone asks him,” said third baseman Erik Castro, one of Strasburg's roommates. “He's focused on the team.”

Said Strasburg: “I owe everything I've done so far to the program. To the coaches, to my teammates. Without them, I wouldn't have been given the opportunities I've been given.”

Ask Strasburg about his 2009 goals, and wins, strikeouts, ERA or signing bonus don't enter the conversation.

“Get to the regional,” he said.

There will be much celebrating at Montezuma Mesa if that comes to pass. The Aztecs baseball team hasn't advanced to the NCAA Tournament since 1991.

“That does bother me,” Strasburg said.

He hasn't taken out an insurance policy to protect himself financially in case of injury.

“If God wants me to play baseball, it's going to happen,” he said. “If not, there's another path he wants me to follow.”

He's not consumed by the prospect of being the first player taken in the draft.

“My goal isn't to be the No. 1 pick,” he said. “My goal's to have a long, successful career in the major leagues.”

Padres General Manager Kevin Towers has not seen Strasburg pitch in person. He has seen him on video.

Asked his impressions, Towers said, “More than likely, a front-end-of-the-rotation starter in the big leagues, and probably in a hurry. He possesses an incredible fastball. He has great size. The kind of guy who could dominate a lineup.”

Towers said Strasburg has “excellent” command of his fastball, meaning he throws it for strikes throughout the strike zone.

A Phillies scout who requested anonymity describes Strasburg's motion as “nice and easy.”

About Strasburg's slider, the scout said, “It's got a good hard break on it. He's definitely a two-pitch pitcher.”

Towers said it's “doubtful” Strasburg will last to the No. 3 pick, where the Padres will be selecting.

“I find it hard to believe Washington and Seattle will pass on him,” Towers said. From the rumblings coming out of the nation's capital, Towers could have stopped at the Nationals. At baseball's general manager meetings in November in Dana Point, Nationals GM Jim Bowden said of Strasburg, “(He) looks like a National.”

In the Washington Post, Bowden called Strasburg “as good a pitcher as we've seen in the draft in 10 or 15 years.”

Strasburg isn't all brawn on the hill. His senior year at West Hills, he was a member of the Union-Tribune's All-Academic team with a 4.37 grade-point average. He said he transferred nearly 30 units to San Diego State based on advanced placement classes. He's on pace to graduate in 3½ years.

Baseball, though, is his passion. Five days into college he moved out of his dorm because the partying kept him from getting eight hours' sleep before morning practice.

As you would suspect from someone with a fastball that has reached triple digits on the radar gun, he loves the strikeout.

“It's mano-a-mano,” he said. “You got your guns blazing, they've got their guns blazing. It's the satisfaction of overpowering them.”

“If there's a knock on him,” Gwynn said, “I think it's that sometimes he's actually surprised when he gets hit.”

For a Saturday 1 p.m. home game, Gwynn arrives at the ballpark around 8, followed closely by Strasburg. After usually pitching Friday night, Strasburg arrives early to lift weights.

“He's the hardest worker I've got on my club,” Gwynn said.

His freshman year, after finally finishing the running portion of conditioning, Strasburg tried lifting weights.

He couldn't bench press 135 pounds. Now he presses it 21 times.

His vertical leap was 24 inches then. Now it's 33.

He leg pressed 550 pounds as a freshman.

“I've got (women) volleyball players who press 700 pounds,” Ohton said.

Now Strasburg leg presses 1,200 pounds.

“I don't know where he got the perseverance, but it's inside him,” Ohton said. “You don't teach that. You either survive and conquer or you're going to die.”

For Strasburg, the memory of that insulting four-letter word drives him.

Soft. He was labeled soft.

Back inside the Aztecs alumni lounge, Strasburg is tossing a baseball with his right hand. He catches it, stops and says, “I'll always have some inner demons there. I've learned to embrace that.”

“Hey, there's nothing wrong with trying to shove it in guys' faces,” Gwynn said. “That makes his story even better for me. You didn't think I could. Now, here I am. What do you think now?”

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/feb/19/1s19stras23551/?zIndex=55247

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #4: February 20, 2009, 10:33:15 AM »

Is there a special reason why they would televise this game?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #5: February 20, 2009, 10:35:43 AM »
Is there a special reason why they would televise this game?

It's Opening Day for them, right? I expect all sports to have at least one camera at every game these days.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #6: February 20, 2009, 10:38:15 AM »
I'm sure there will be some cameras there but that doesn't mean it will be televised.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #7: February 20, 2009, 10:38:50 AM »
College games, especially early in the season really don't on TV much.  Neither of these teams are big names either in the college baseball world either.

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #8: February 20, 2009, 10:43:33 AM »
Per their schedule on their site, their game tomorrow is being televised live on the MLB Network. :?

The game today comes on at 5:00 PM EST so I'll try to listen or follow on gametracker.

http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/sched/sdsu-m-basebl-sched.html

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #9: February 20, 2009, 10:44:02 AM »
I'm sure there will be some cameras there but that doesn't mean it will be televised.

Yeah, it states in one of the articles that clips of the game will be available following its conclusion.

« Reply #10: February 20, 2009, 11:23:20 AM »
Interesting. The Aztecs are going to milk this season for all it's worth. Currently on Goaztecs.com you can get a "Strasburg Plan" which includes six games, four of which he is scheduled to start, all for the price of $24.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #11: February 20, 2009, 11:25:27 AM »
At first I thought this was something you had come up with. But wow that reminds me of how the Lerners are using the Red Sox to sell mini plans. At least their plan is using their own player to get fans to come watch.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #12: February 20, 2009, 11:39:17 AM »
"A Phillies scout who requested anonymity describes Strasburg's motion as “nice and easy.” "

What? There is so much conflict.

« Reply #13: February 20, 2009, 11:43:42 AM »
Why are the Phillies sending scouts to see Strasburg? Do they really think they have a chance in hell?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #14: February 20, 2009, 11:45:47 AM »
Why are the Phillies sending scouts to see Strasburg? Do they really think they have a chance in hell?

Maybe they are looking at some of Strasburg's teammates

"A Phillies scout who requested anonymity describes Strasburg's motion as “nice and easy.” "

What? There is so much conflict.

What conflict?

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #15: February 20, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »
He could drop because of an injury or something.  It's probably standard practice to scout the best players in the nation no matter where you are in the draft.  They'd be stupid not to do that.

And I think d_mc was referring to the driveline mechanics article that said Strasburg had average-to-poor mechanics.  There is no consensus about his delivery.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #16: February 20, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »
ALL ABOARD THE S.S. SAVIOR

hahaha

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #17: February 20, 2009, 11:57:51 AM »

And I think d_mc was referring to the driveline mechanics article that said Strasburg had average-to-poor mechanics.  There is no consensus about his delivery.

I see, I mean I thought that article took issue with his "picking up the ball" motion and his follow through.  Everything I have read or heard from credible scouts or writers has pinned Strasburg's motion down as fluid and smooth.  The whole comparison to Mark Prior is a little stretched.  I haven't, however, heard anyone complain about his motion.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #18: February 20, 2009, 12:47:03 PM »
I see, I mean I thought that article took issue with his "picking up the ball" motion and his follow through.  Everything I have read or heard from credible scouts or writers has pinned Strasburg's motion down as fluid and smooth.  The whole comparison to Mark Prior is a little stretched.  I haven't, however, heard anyone complain about his motion.
The other day I was watching video on YouTube of Greg Maddux warming up and then switched to Strasburg; S.S. brings his elbow up a little higher when he's starting the toss, and of course he throws the ball way harder than Maddux does, but for some reason I had this eerie feeling of deja vu. Any grounds for this or was I just making it up?

Also, I just accidentally discovered a button on my keyboard, while trying to hit shift, that lets me write in Arabic صاهؤا ه فاهىن هس حقثففغ سثقهخعسمغ شصثسخةث! آخف فاشف شىغ خب غخع صهمم لاث شلامث فخ قشثي فاهسو شىي بخق فاشف ةشففثق ÷ اشرث ىخ ؤمعث هب فاهس ةشنثس شىغ سثىسث لاثؤشعسث ÷ شة سفهمم عسهىل ُىلمهسا مثففثقس قشفاثق فاشى صاشفثرثق غخعطقث سعححخسثي فخ صقهفث صهفاز

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #19: February 20, 2009, 01:01:21 PM »
The other day I was watching video on YouTube of Greg Maddux warming up and then switched to Strasburg; S.S. brings his elbow up a little higher when he's starting the toss, and of course he throws the ball way harder than Maddux does, but for some reason I had this eerie feeling of deja vu. Any grounds for this or was I just making it up?

Hmmm, to certain extent sure.  I think Maddux and Strasburg have some similarities, mainly in that they both keep the ball 'hidden' until the perfect moment in their motion when they basically catapult the ball to the catcher's mitt.  The motion at that point is so fluid, that it becomes very difficult for the batter to even locate the ball.  This is a good similarity.  The difference is that Maddux seems to be a little further ahead in his arm motion than Strasburg once their momentums are shifting forward.  It's hard to tell at this point, as Maddux is a long-time veteran with established mechanics and Strasburg is a junior in college that has had one big season.  Who knows who is going to mess around with his stuff over the next decade.  In the end, they probably will end up being two completely different pitchers.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #20: February 20, 2009, 04:41:40 PM »
20 minutes to our favorite player not in a Nats uni begins his '09 campaign. 

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #21: February 20, 2009, 04:57:07 PM »
There may not be any media coverage but there is gametracker.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/graphics/teams/icons/media-icon-gt-90x20-on.gif

Offline blue911

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #23: February 20, 2009, 05:00:26 PM »
yesssssssss, here's live audio of the game: http://goaztecs.cstv.com/library/live-baseball.html

Online sportsfan882

« Reply #24: February 20, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »
4-1 scouts to fans according to the announcer