Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Watch  (Read 98642 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Stephen Strasburg Watch
« Reply #100: February 23, 2009, 07:17:01 PM »
WEBCAST
Video of all of San Diego State's home games will be available on the SDSU web site (www.goaztecs.com) again this season. Fans can go to the calendar on the Aztec home page and click "Watch Live" to view all the action. The video broadcast of these games is free of charge. An audio broadcast of all home and away contests will be carried on the SDSU web site as well.

http://goaztecs.cstv.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/021809aad.html

- Site also has some good information about the San Diego State, for anyone that is interested.  For instance, the Aztecs have three players that are the sons of former MLB players, including Cory Vaughn (son of 15 year veteran Greg Vaughn).

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #101: February 25, 2009, 06:36:47 PM »
Strasburg takes on Nevada tomorrow at 9:00 PM EST.

Video of the game supposed to be streamed live here: http://goaztecs.cstv.com/library/live-baseball.html

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #102: February 26, 2009, 03:51:04 PM »
Although ESPN hasn't been getting a good buzz around here lately, I still figured I post this bit from Jim Callis' (he is BA after all) recent chat:

Alex NY, NY: Recently I found a few blogs on the internet breaking down Stephen Strasburg?s pitching mechanics. The jury is pretty much split. One source says that Strasburg?s mechanics are deeply flawed and that he is destined to have a short, injury riddled career. Another blog said almost the complete opposite?that Strasburg has displayed mechanics that are as sound as one could ever dream of from a collegiate pitcher. However, both sources cited that Strasburg has sown the dreaded ?inverted W? that doomed Mark Prior. I?m wondering if you guys could please set the record straight? What?s the verdict? Are scouts concerned about Strasburg?s mechanics? Have you heard anything about this?

Jim Callis: I've talked to a lot of scouts about Strasburg, and no one has brought up mechanical concerns. Here's the thing about mechanics--it's great if someone has dream or textbook mechanics, but we still don't know why pitchers get hurt. Prior was supposed to have a picture-perfect delivery, and he couldn't stay healthy. Tim Lincecum has unorthodox mechanics, but they work great for him. I don't profess to be an expert on mechanics, but if a guy repeats his delivery without putting a lot of stress on his elbow or shoulder, who cares if it's perfect.

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25202

« Reply #103: February 26, 2009, 04:03:03 PM »
Although ESPN hasn't been getting a good buzz around here lately, I still figured I post this bit from Jim Callis' (he is BA after all) recent chat:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=25202

I tend to agree. I never put too much stock into the mechanics mumbo-jumbo. I don't care if the pitcher's pitching motion consists of him putting the ball in his butt and farting it out towards the plate, as long as he gets up on the mound and produces, who really cares?

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #104: February 26, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »
I tend to agree. I never put too much stock into the mechanics mumbo-jumbo. I don't care if the pitcher's pitching motion consists of him putting the ball in his butt and farting it out towards the plate, as long as he gets up on the mound and produces, who really cares?

I think that a healthy knowledge of mechanics is good to supplement to other characteristics you can observe in pitcher, along with the stats.  Personally, I just try to learn what I can about mechanics to just to deepen my understanding of the game.  I do not, however, believe that judgement on a player should be based on the perceived quality of their mechanics.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #105: February 26, 2009, 04:35:52 PM »
The understanding of pitching mechanics is probably in the dark ages.  I bet that 20 years from now, there will be an accepted "best method" that will have been scientifically developed to deliver the best pitches with the least chance for injury.  Then, this will be taught to every pitcher from the smallest little leagues on up.

Frankly I'm not sure this homogenization of the game is a good thing, in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #106: February 26, 2009, 04:39:34 PM »
The understanding of pitching mechanics is probably in the dark ages.  I bet that 20 years from now, there will be an accepted "best method" that will have been scientifically developed to deliver the best pitches with the least chance for injury.  Then, this will be taught to every pitcher from the smallest little leagues on up.

Frankly I'm not sure this homogenization of the game is a good thing, in fact I'm pretty sure it isn't.

Isn't it possible that different body types have different 'best methods'

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #107: February 26, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »
Isn't it possible that different body types have different 'best methods'

yes, I would think so.  So, the "best method", may actually be variations based on body types.  I sort of have this vision where they'd put together a computer model of your body, and then the system would spit out the most efficient way for you to throw.   

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #108: February 26, 2009, 06:32:46 PM »

I totally agree.  I think creating a preferred or "best" method will ultimately limit or even injure other players that do not have body types matching to the specific method.  Lincecum is a perfect case, his mechanics are tailor made to fit his body.  The computer model sounds plausible and I would imagine it isolating various parts of the pitching motion ("picking up the ball", scapular loading, breaking the ball, arm slot, etc.) so that each part of the pitcher's motions are maximized to the specific physical characteristics.  This is probably a far way off, because like you have alluded to, the information on pitching mechanics is largely incomplete, unknown, or disputed.  As for now, it is useful when talking about young players, mainly because a lot talk surrounding a player that could spend the next 4+ seasons in the system is about their potential/projection.  Mechanics are useful in projecting if some guy is generating speed through a particularly risky arm motion, or maybe if there is a particularly high risk of injury due to a sub inverted arm motion.  Where they aren't useful is in predicting if a player will be definitively good or bad.

Offline d_mc_nabb

« Reply #109: February 26, 2009, 07:40:06 PM »
I think the most comfortable windup and delivery is the best. If they feel a strain, it's not a good thing, but if it's just a comfortable thing, they'll generate the maximum speed and best accuracy.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #110: February 26, 2009, 07:53:22 PM »
I think the most comfortable windup and delivery is the best. If they feel a strain, it's not a good thing, but if it's just a comfortable thing, they'll generate the maximum speed and best accuracy.

Definitely.  Any type of motion where the motion is slowed or almost stopped is bad in my opinion.  It can change the intended pitch by causing rushing, but also increases the load on other parts of the body.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #111: February 26, 2009, 08:58:10 PM »
here we go. video is up and running: http://goaztecs.cstv.com/library/live-baseball.html

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #112: February 26, 2009, 09:06:47 PM »
3 pitch K to start the game for SS. This video is awesome

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #113: February 26, 2009, 09:08:43 PM »
2 K's already.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #114: February 26, 2009, 09:10:48 PM »
what a money slider.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #115: February 26, 2009, 09:11:18 PM »
Strasburg is a racist!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #116: February 26, 2009, 09:19:17 PM »
Damn, I've been pronouncing his name wrong for about a year now. :lol:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #117: February 26, 2009, 09:22:54 PM »

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #118: February 26, 2009, 09:23:12 PM »
Damn, I've been pronouncing his name wrong for about a year now. :lol:
how were you saying it? :rofl:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #119: February 26, 2009, 09:23:56 PM »

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #120: February 26, 2009, 09:28:22 PM »
I wonder how many of those Strasburg Plans they've sold.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #121: February 26, 2009, 09:33:07 PM »
Domination. I'm surprised anyone touches his fastball and his slider is just nasty. The only problem I can see out of him is that every fourth or fifth pitch he'll overthrow his fastball.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #122: February 26, 2009, 09:33:53 PM »
holy crap. what a freaking slider.

3 IP 1 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 7 K thus far for SS

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #123: February 26, 2009, 09:41:57 PM »
damn, looks like I missed some good stuff

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #124: February 26, 2009, 09:45:05 PM »