Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Watch  (Read 98645 times)

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
Re: Stephen Strasburg Watch
« Reply #250: March 05, 2009, 10:49:11 PM »
darn it! I completely forgot he was pitching tonight -- I'm sorry I missed it -- sounds like an audacious performance ... thanks for the updates everyone ... I enjoyed reading them

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #251: March 06, 2009, 12:50:27 AM »
I know I have been pretty hard on Strasburg about the level of competition he has face this year.  But USD is a very good team and for him to strikeout 18 is awesome.  A scout I talked to said this is best performance by a college pitcher he has seen since Prior was at SC. 

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #252: March 06, 2009, 01:07:43 AM »
A Prior comparison?

*gulp*

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #253: March 06, 2009, 09:13:30 AM »
A Prior comparison?

*gulp*

Keep the Prior comparisons for Aaron Crow.

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #254: March 06, 2009, 09:15:50 AM »
Well, in this context, I like it, but it still makes me highly superstitious.

Offline Blueliner

« Reply #255: March 06, 2009, 10:52:41 AM »
Strasburg will have two starts vs TCU, they play TCU in two, 3 game series.  TCU is a very tough team.  That's the next big test for Strasburg.  From now until TCU, they will play, at best, very average teams. 

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #256: March 06, 2009, 11:04:23 AM »
When do those starts occur?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #257: March 06, 2009, 11:06:11 AM »
ALL ABOARD THE S.S. SAVIOR

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #258: March 06, 2009, 11:15:43 AM »
When do those starts occur?

Most likely 3/27 and 4/24.  His next starts will probably be against UNLV and BYU, both at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

For those interested, below is a link to a post-game interview with Strasburg after yesterday's start.  I think that playing in the olympics and now having the pressure of being the frontrunner for the #1 draft slot will be good for SS.  He already seems to have the company lines down pat and obviously after watching the interview you can tell he has had a lot of experience talking to reporters/the media.  Of course this isn't so much related to his on the field skills, but being an MLB player is much more than your talent.

http://aztecchannel.sdsu.edu/media/features/030509_BB_Strasburg_USD.wmv

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #259: March 06, 2009, 11:42:06 AM »
Pretty good video of Strasburg's pitching motion from different angles and a few in slo-mo.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #260: March 06, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »
THE STRASBURG WATCH

Keeping track of SDSU All-America pitcher Stephen Strasburg this season:

Yesterday: At USD

His line: 8 innings, 5 hits, 2 runs, 2 earned runs, 1 walk, 18 strikeouts.

Result: Win, 5-3

For the season: 3-0 record, 1.77 ERA, 20 1/3 innings, 13 hits, 5 runs, 4 earned runs, 4 walks, 45 strikeouts

Next start: Friday, March 13 at 6 p.m. vs. UNLV at Tony Gwynn Stadium

San Diego State's Stephen Strasburg, as has become his custom, piled up the strikeouts in yesterday's game at USD.

The Aztecs All-American struck out 18 in eight innings against the Toreros, the third time in three starts Strasburg has reached double-digit strikeouts. Strasburg now has 45 strikeouts in 20 1/3 innings.

But it was a strike thrown from right field by SDSU's Cory Vaughn that was perhaps the most important throw in the Aztecs' 5-3 win at the Toreros'Cunningham Stadium.

Strasburg opened the game with two quick strikeouts, employing a fastball that touched 99 mph. A few moments before USD's Steven Chatwood struck out, an Aztecs fan shouted: “Show bunt! It's your only chance!”

A voice countered from the Toreros' side in the overflow crowd of 1,117 two innings later.

That was after No. 11-ranked USD (7-4) sent a shiver through Strasburg when catcher Nick McCoy turned a fastball around and rocketed it over the left-field fence to give USD a 2-1 lead. It was only the second home run allowed by Strasburg as a collegian.

Buoyed by the big hit, a USD fan shouted: “This isn't the Mountain West! The closest you're getting to Omaha is Utah!”

Said McCoy: “In college baseball, momentum is huge, and that definitely gave us some momentum.

“But,” McCoy cautioned, “I never thought the job was done.”

SDSU pitching coach Rusty Filter visited Strasburg immediately thereafter to settle down his pitcher, but Strasburg walked the next hitter, Kevin Muno.

Muno stole second before James Meador lined a two-out single to right. Vaughn came up throwing and his strike to catcher Erik Castro nailed Muno at the plate to end the inning.

“Amazing,” said Strasburg. “That was a big play right there. When it comes time, he gets it done.”

Instead of a 3-1 USD lead and a runner in scoring position at second base, the Aztecs (5-5) were out of the inning down just a run.

“That was huge,” said SDSU coach Tony Gwynn. “Morale was a little down on this side because they had not seen that happen (to Strasburg).

“Vaughny came up, made a great throw, and then Strassy kept us in there.”

An Aztecs fan in the stands held up a sign with a big red K on it each time Strasburg recorded a strikeout. The sign would block the view of those behind the fan over the next five innings.

Strasburg (3-0) struck out the last two hitters in the fourth and the last two hitters in the fifth. He struck out the side in the sixth, seventh and eighth, although he did give up a single with two out in the seventh, ending a run of seven straight strikeouts.

That gave the Aztecs time to rally, which they did with two runs in the sixth on a sacrifice fly by Pat Colwell and a single by Brandon Decker.

SDSU made it 5-2 on Castro's RBI single in the ninth. The three-run bulge was tested in the bottom of the inning when USD rallied for a run against Addison Reed and had the potential tying runs at first and third before the SDSU closer struck out pinch hitter Bryan Haar to end the game.

The four-game series continues tonight at 6 at Tony Gwynn Stadium.

http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/mar/06/1s6azbase223858-strasburg-treats-fans-special-k-pe/?zIndex=62732

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #261: March 06, 2009, 06:31:27 PM »
I want to sum up a conversation my dad and I had after Tex signed with the Yanks:

dad: "That jerk Boras needs to be punished.  We need to pass on Strasburg or take him and not sign him so he doesn't get his #1 pick money."

me: "But Strasburg is far away the best prospect in the draft."

dad: "Eh, he ain't that great.  Look at his stats."

me: "..."

Look at his stats now! :rofl: I'm going to gleefully inform him of Strasburg's K-rate this season later tonight.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #263: March 06, 2009, 07:24:02 PM »
Strasburg's numbers so far blow all those guys' away.

He's going to be better/is better than David Price in my book.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #264: March 06, 2009, 09:00:43 PM »
The guy JMU just linked to has an interesting perspective:
So I'd grab Strasburg, hand him a giant sack with a money sign on it -- after I lose a fiddle contest with Scott Boras -- let him dominate for a couple years then [trade him before he gets hurt]. Can you imagine the haul if Chicago would have traded Prior in 2004? Besides, maybe Strasburg really is a once-in-a-generation freak who can handle extra stress.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #265: March 06, 2009, 09:14:06 PM »
I like the idea that we let him dominate and ship him for a bundle of solid players..who do you think we could get for him right know..if he was to have been dominating for a few years already

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #266: March 06, 2009, 09:17:13 PM »
The guy JMU just linked to has an interesting perspective:
Honestly, I'd consider that as well.  You have to figure he's going to clean house in his arb years.  Maybe keep him through arb year #1 and dump him after that.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #267: March 06, 2009, 09:22:13 PM »
Damn, we're already releasing/trading the guy? :lol:

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #268: March 06, 2009, 09:23:07 PM »
Damn, we're already releasing/trading the guy? :lol:
We move fast round these here parts. ;)

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #269: March 07, 2009, 03:34:11 AM »
Strasburg's numbers so far blow all those guys' away.

He's going to be better/is better than David Price in my book.
Eh, he's middle of the pack in about half of those categories, but his K/BB IS the best by far.  I'm just glad he's in that kind of company at all.  You have to get down to Humber to find someone who could even be remotely considered a bust.

Offline LARRYbroadway

« Reply #270: March 09, 2009, 08:15:32 AM »
You don't let this guy get away.  You sign him, and let him do his 3 yrs in MLB.  THEN, if he's all that, you sign him to a 15 year deal and make him a Nat for life.  You build franchises and rotations around guys like this.

Imagine the rotation we could have real soon with Strasburg - Lannan - J.Zimmerman - Olsen with Cabrera as your 5th.  You could force a good young pitcher like Martis to work out of the pen, maybe even Hill too.  Imagine the pen real soon: Hanrahan - Martis - Hill - Rivera - LHP - LHP.

I smell playoffs real soon...2yrs maybe...

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #271: March 09, 2009, 10:13:32 AM »
They were talking about Strasburg this morning on Mike and Mike -- called him the best pitching prospect in the last umpteen years ... said he's as good if not better than AJ Burnett -- right now ...

:worship:

« Reply #272: March 09, 2009, 10:19:25 AM »
They were talking about Strasburg this morning on Mike and Mike -- called him the best pitching prospect in the last umpteen years ... said he's as good if not better than AJ Burnett -- right now ...

:worship:

Actually, it was Buster Olney who said it, Mike and Mike repeated it. It's a wonder if anyone connected to ESPN has one original thought of their own.

http://insider.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=3963745&name=olney_buster&action=login&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fespn%2fblog%2findex%3fentryID%3d3963745%26name%3dolney_buster

I think that link will work.

**Warning: Olney's usual cracks and misrepresentation of the Nats is present.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #273: March 09, 2009, 10:46:59 AM »
I'm getting sick of the amount of people saying we pass becuase of Boras, especially the people who use Crow as a reason we don't want to deal with Boras. They seem to forget that was the Hendrick brothers not Boras were Crow's agent. Boras seems far more professional to me (equally or more greedy), and more likely to try to get a deal done (i.e. get the medical exam before 4 hours until deadline)

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #274: March 09, 2009, 11:01:10 AM »
I guess I read that differently.  It sounded as the Crow fiasco was a reason they would/should/have to take him.