Author Topic: Stephen Strasburg Watch  (Read 98630 times)

Offline JMUalumni

Re: Stephen Strasburg Watch
« Reply #200: March 02, 2009, 04:27:58 PM »
For the record, I do believe Blueliner has a point to a certain extent.  The Mountain West is middle of the pack in RPI, but SDSU has scheduled harder than the majority of the teams in the conference.  They also play teams from the PAC-10 and Big West (2nd and 6th in RPI, respectively).  I just took issue with comparison of the Mountain West to little leaguers (a little harsh) as well as calling the MW "very weak".  Strasburg is facing legitimate enough competition to point where we can safely evaluate and begin projecting him into the major leagues.  But, the fact still remains that he is a college pitcher, the talent is NOT the same as the professional ranks.  Like any other prospect, everything in regards to his future is a projection, but I think due to his obvious talent level it makes it easier to project him to the top level.  By no means is he a sure thing (who is?) and for this reason (with a few others) you need to see how he pitches against minor leaguers for a month or two.  If he handles it, send him up for September, but any talk of him going straight the rotation is rubbish.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #201: March 02, 2009, 05:04:38 PM »
Off-topic, JMU, but that's a beautiful avatar.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #202: March 02, 2009, 05:12:41 PM »
Off-topic, JMU, but that's a beautiful avatar.

Thanks, I think it was on Nationals.com earlier

Offline R-Zim#11

« Reply #203: March 03, 2009, 10:43:39 AM »
For the record, I do believe Blueliner has a point to a certain extent.  The Mountain West is middle of the pack in RPI, but SDSU has scheduled harder than the majority of the teams in the conference.  They also play teams from the PAC-10 and Big West (2nd and 6th in RPI, respectively).  I just took issue with comparison of the Mountain West to little leaguers (a little harsh) as well as calling the MW "very weak".  Strasburg is facing legitimate enough competition to point where we can safely evaluate and begin projecting him into the major leagues.  But, the fact still remains that he is a college pitcher, the talent is NOT the same as the professional ranks.  Like any other prospect, everything in regards to his future is a projection, but I think due to his obvious talent level it makes it easier to project him to the top level.  By no means is he a sure thing (who is?) and for this reason (with a few others) you need to see how he pitches against minor leaguers for a month or two.  If he handles it, send him up for September, but any talk of him going straight the rotation is rubbish.

Hit the nail on the head with that one...

However I do love to dream about him whiffing many a batter in 2010...I mean 27 K's in 12 2/3 innings...incredible...

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #204: March 03, 2009, 11:15:54 AM »
I saw this article on Hardball Times this morning, it is a pretty good analysis of the level of talent at the D-II and D-III levels.  It doesn't really fit into the context of the Strasburg argument, but here are the links for anyone that is interested:

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/even-smaller-colleges/     (D-III)

http://www.hardballtimes.com/main/article/how-good-is-ncaa-division-2/   (D-II)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #205: March 04, 2009, 06:03:40 PM »
Strasburg takes on 11th Ranked San Diego tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:00 PM EST. Should have video via USD's athletics website which lists the game as a "Free video event".

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #206: March 04, 2009, 06:09:49 PM »
Strasburg takes on 11th Ranked San Diego tomorrow (Thursday) at 5:00 PM EST. Should have video via USD's athletics website which lists the game as a "Free video event".

Go do your homework :rofl:

Thanks for the heads up!

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #207: March 04, 2009, 06:16:47 PM »
Brian mentioned this on his blog, but in addition to Straburg being named Mountain West pitcher of the week, he was also selected as the Louisville Slugger National Player of the Week (run by Collegiate Baseball).  In related news, SDSU lost to #7 CS-Fullerton on Tuesday.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #208: March 05, 2009, 03:00:53 PM »
Should be able to watch the game through this link at 5 PM: http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=usd&media=106796

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #209: March 05, 2009, 03:03:04 PM »
Should be able to watch the game through this link: http://all-access.cbssports.com/player.html?code=usd&media=106796

Nice, I'm going to try to get off work early so I can watch it.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #210: March 05, 2009, 05:01:02 PM »
Updates are appreciated. I'm in class so I can't watch.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #211: March 05, 2009, 05:13:31 PM »
Updates are appreciated. I'm in class so I can't watch.

I'm having trouble finding it in that link you posted.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #212: March 05, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »
should be under the tab live events.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #213: March 05, 2009, 05:17:01 PM »

I got audio at least for now.  Started out with 3 fastballs to strike out the leadoff hitter.

I'll try to get video when SDSU is up to bat.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #214: March 05, 2009, 05:18:55 PM »
Second batter:  throws him a couple sliders, eventually striking him out on a 2-2 count for K #2

Third batter:  contact made on first pitch, ball fielded for an easy out

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #215: March 05, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »
Good start :clap:

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #216: March 05, 2009, 05:22:31 PM »

It doesn't look like this is a televised event, there only seems to be audio available.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #217: March 05, 2009, 05:25:34 PM »
Even on USD's site?

I know SDSU was audio only but I thought USD was streaming live for free.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #218: March 05, 2009, 05:28:11 PM »
Even on USD's site?

I know SDSU was audio only but I thought USD was streaming live for free.

yeah, the only link that is showing up there is for the audio and gametracker

there no live events listed for today's date in that one video player

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #219: March 05, 2009, 05:32:03 PM »
Damn. Earlier they had a watch now link.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #220: March 05, 2009, 05:41:15 PM »
SDSU managed to get a run in the second inning and could have had a second one, but the runner got thrown out at home.

I missed the first batter, but he got a double.  The announcers made it sound like it wouldn't have been a hit at all if it was for the strong wind presence at the game today.  The second batter fell behind in the count, then punched a ball into shallow center to have the runner on second score.  The third batter took Strasburg to a 2-2 count, but got blown away by a fastball for K #3.  1-1 going into the top of the 3rd.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #221: March 05, 2009, 06:01:08 PM »
No score for the Aztecs in the top of 3rd.  8-9-1 batters due up for Strasburg this inning.

First batter:  All his balls are close to the strike zone and the announcers mentioned the ump is a rookie that is keeping a very tight strike zone.  Strikeout #4 (BKKBBFK)

Second batter: Ouch, the number nine batter takes Strasburg yard, home run 2-1 Torreros.  Ball hammered. (KKBBH)

Third batter: I am listening to the audio, but the announcers are saying that Strasburg has had to go to his fastball more than he would want because he is being squeezed.  Sounds like Strasburg is getting squeezed horribly as the game goes on.  Strasburg thought he had a SO on the last three pitches of the AB, but the ump didn't agree. (BKKBBB)  Walk

Fourth batter:  Strasburg concerns himself with the batter on first (SDU's best runner), who eventually stole second on a ball by Strassy. Strasburg is able to take out the batter with a "nasty" slider. (KKBFK) K #5

Fifth batter:  Slider for strike one.  Breaking ball inside.  Third pitch gets nailed to RF, the runner at second is thrown out at the plate.  (KBH)

He is getting squeezed bad and it seems to have gotten to him, now lets see how he handles pitching from behind and under pressure from crappy umps.  If I added correctly, SS is at 51 pitches through 3.  It seems that San Diego is taking a pitcher by committee approach to facing Strasburg.  So far it is working.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #222: March 05, 2009, 06:03:51 PM »
I'm guessing you are listening to the SDSU announcers. :lol:  I'm sure he's just having an off game.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #223: March 05, 2009, 06:07:20 PM »
Sounds like you are listening to the SDSU announcers. :lol:  I'm sure he's just having an off game.

Actually, I have been listening to the Torrero's announcers since the second inning.  Although, it was the SDSU announcers that mentioned he might have been getting squeezed in the first.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #224: March 05, 2009, 06:12:13 PM »
Actually, I have been listening to the Torrero's announcers since the second inning.  Although, it was the SDSU announcers that mentioned he might have been getting squeezed in the first.

That makes sense. Those guys sweat Strasburg. They don't want to believe that he can have an off game. Doesn't seem like he's doing too bad, though.