Author Topic: Escobar to start for rest of season in CF  (Read 713 times)

Offline sportsfan882

Escobar to start for rest of season in CF
« Topic Start: August 17, 2006, 10:38:12 AM »
He's the man: Manager Frank Robinson announced that Alex Escobar will be the everyday center fielder for the rest of the season, leaving Ryan Church on the bench. The Nationals want to see what they have in Escobar, who has great potential despite his struggles with injuries.

Both Escobar and Robinson acknowledged that Escobar is still playing with hamstring problems and will not be 100 percent until next season. Escobar, one of the hardest working players on the Nationals, is often spotted working on his legs hours before games.

Escobar is hitting .324 with three home runs and 15 RBIs in 27 games.

www.nationals.com

I like this move.  I think Escobar can be very solid outfielder for us.  He's fast, can hit for avg and power and plays good D.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #1: August 17, 2006, 07:18:09 PM »
This guy has been a pleasant suprise for us, not too long ago we were dreading this trade, since we gave up Jerry Owens.

Offline LetsGoNats

• We're Nat Gonna Take It!
« Reply #2: August 17, 2006, 09:30:19 PM »
Then the first game after Frank makes this statement, Church starts in CF

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #3: August 17, 2006, 10:57:47 PM »
I don't think Frank knows whats going on. I think he actually just flips a coin.

ncg1983

« Reply #4: August 18, 2006, 10:35:50 AM »
I think with these two guys the best option is to platoon them until one is clearly playing much better.  I know Escobar's batting average is higher, but neither guy has played enough to really tell yet.