Author Topic: Would Chad Cordero Be Better as a Setup Man or as a Closer?  (Read 4111 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Chief is right.  It's not about having great stuff, or stomping around on the mound breathing fire, it's about retiring the other team while you're still ahead.  Judge Cordero on his performance, not how he looks or even how fast his pitches are.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
I was at that Saturday NYY game at RFK, and I just loved seeing Rivera blow a save in person...not that I have anything against the guy (quite the opposite, I think he's about the best closer ever, and he sure made my grandfather happy for the last few years of his life), but what an improbable game that was :D

But to the original question, I go with Cordero...I just can't see anyone else coming onto the scene (either through the ranks or from the trade market) who comes even close to Chief.  He didn't go to the All Star game for nothing!  It seems to me that the job is about 90% mental, and the ability to shake off a bases loaded, one out situation in a one-run game and go ahead and shut down the next two batters is key...and that is pretty much Chief's forte.  He may be quite a bit more permeable than, say, Lidge, but he also shows amazing sangfroid under pressure.  At his age, he's got all the time in the world to develop & refine different pitches.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Being mad before coming in to close a game is a fixable problem to have.  Just have Schneider insult his mother before the game  :lol:

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
Quote from: "2k6nats"
Being mad before coming in to close a game is a fixable problem to have.  Just have Schneider insult his mother before the game  :lol:

Since that worked out so well for the French  :oops:

Offline nats2playoffs

Quote from: "Ali the Baseball Cat"
Quote from: "2k6nats"

Since that worked out so well for the French  :oops:

In Philadelphia last year, an Eagles fan poured beer on Clinton Portis' mother in the stands.  A security officer brought her to the field.  The funny part is that Clinton was TOLD about it.  He was like a bat out of hell on the field after that - furious and unstoppable.

Offline PC

Let me make one thing perfect clear, in our current situation, I'm not advocating moving Chad out of the closer spot.  I'm saying that, if we had a better closer option in the way I described in my previous post, I'd love for Chad to be moved to the setup position.  But as long as he's the closer we have, he's certainly more than adequate!

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Quote from: "PC"
Let me make one thing perfect clear, in our current situation, I'm not advocating moving Chad out of the closer spot.  I'm saying that, if we had a better closer option in the way I described in my previous post, I'd love for Chad to be moved to the setup position.  But as long as he's the closer we have, he's certainly more than adequate!

For a cellar-dweller team like us, to have an All-Star closer is definetly more than adequate.

Offline expos96

As far as I've seen everybody is in favour of Chad as closer.

Do you have a trade of prospect in mind in order to move him to setup man?

Offline PC

Quote from: "expos96"

No, but that doesn't change my belief that he'd be a better setup man than closer.  Some people seem to be dismissive of setup men, as if it's some sort of demotion.  You do realize that outs count in the 7th and 8th innings as well as the 9th?

A good setup man is a requirement for a winning team.  If we could get a dominant closer and could move Chad to setup, that would make the team better.  I hope that's not debateable.

There are much greater needs on this team than a closer, however so I expect Chad to be the closer for some time to come, which isn't a bad thing.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
PC I see what you're saying, but I guess my question is why not pursue a killer setup man to help Chad with closing?

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Quote from: "The Chief"
PC I see what you're saying, but I guess my question is why not pursue a killer setup man to help Chad with closing?

Good idea.  Scott Linebrink, anyone?

Offline expos96

Quote from: "expos96"

No, but that doesn't change my belief that he'd be a better setup man than closer.  Some people seem to be dismissive of setup men, as if it's some sort of demotion.  You do realize that outs count in the 7th and 8th innings as well as the 9th?

A good setup man is a requirement for a winning team.  If we could get a dominant closer and could move Chad to setup, that would make the team better.  I hope that's not debateable.

There are much greater needs on this team than a closer, however so I expect Chad to be the closer for some time to come, which isn't a bad thing.

I agree 100% that a setup man is just as important as the rest.
The absence of Louis Ayala is a perfect example.

I'm not convinced that Chad is a better setup man than closer.
Perhaps that will come somewhere in the future.
Our knees may feel like rubber when he enters, but I/m sure that many opponents feel exactly the same...