Author Topic: Question for NatsAddict re: a Marlin  (Read 1053 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Question for NatsAddict re: a Marlin
« Topic Start: February 26, 2008, 09:21:32 AM »
What kind of season can we expect from Jeremy Hermida this year?  I think he makes for a good fantasy sleeper if one can reasonably expect him to be healthier and maintain last year's production, but I'm not sure whether last year was a fluke or if he's highly susceptible to injury.

Offline NatsAddict

Re: Question for NatsAddict re: a Marlin
« Reply #1: February 26, 2008, 11:14:54 AM »
If he stays healthy, every scout in baseball expects his second half .340/.401/.555 to be he norm.  But, health wasn't his major problem earlier, it was that he had no aggressiveness whatsoever at the plate.  He put up those numbers batting in the #6 slot, and is expected to move to the #3 slot, where he should be able to put up some better numbers than batting in front of Matt Treanor and CF du jour.

Last year in spring training he fouled one off his knee and had a severe bone bruise.  That kept him out until late May, with June essentially being his ST.  He caught up quickly, though.

He has an all-star bat, but his fielding is among the worst I've ever seen - he was the worst of the Marlins team that was the worst fielding team in the majors last year.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #2: February 26, 2008, 12:09:50 PM »
Thanks for the insight.  Hermida's been going later than a lot of free-swinging low-BA types, so I could get great value out of him as a late-round pick.

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #3: February 26, 2008, 01:29:38 PM »
Thanks for the insight.  Hermida's been going later than a lot of free-swinging low-BA types, so I could get great value out of him as a late-round pick.

Glad to help.  I think you'll get a lot of value out of him.  He'll be hitting ahead of Jacobs/Willingham depending of whether the opposing SP is RHP or LHP.  The only downside to his bat this year is that, unbelievably, Uggla is still in the #2 slot.  Unless Hermida's leading off, he'll always being hitting with at least 1 out.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #4: February 26, 2008, 03:40:13 PM »
How are you able to be online?  I thought your area was in a massive power outage?  Do you have a generator or something?

Offline NatsAddict

« Reply #5: February 26, 2008, 06:56:24 PM »
How are you able to be online?  I thought your area was in a massive power outage?  Do you have a generator or something?

We have a 30 kW generator with an automatic transfer switch, so we never lost power.  In fact, until
Emily texted me from school asking if we had power, I had no idea anything was up.  Even then, I didn't realize the extent of the outage.  Usually, a FL outage is only for 20 or 30 seconds, so only that it last long enough that she texted me was unusual.  Until I got connected to the three-phase line that feeds the hospital, police, etc., we used to lose power 6 or 8 times a day.

What I haven't seen on the national news is that the most of the draw bridges across the intracoastal were up (they go up at the top of each hours, and at 20  and 40 minutes after the hour, and the cycle takes about 8 minutes) when the power went out.  Apparently, none of them between West Palm to Miami had their generators operational.  There are no hospitals, and few emergency services on the east side of the intracoastal, so it was a pretty serious failure.

Also, all gas stations are supposed to have generators so that they can pump gas after hurricanes.  Apparently that system also failed miserably.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Power Outage in Florida?
« Reply #6: February 27, 2008, 07:40:31 AM »
Hey NATSADDICT,

I heard most of South Florida had a Power Outage yesterday.

Everything OK in your house (and anyone else in Florida)?

natsfan1a

Re: Power Outage in Florida?
« Reply #7: February 27, 2008, 08:01:40 AM »
He posted about it in this thread yesterday:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,7126.0.html#lastPost

Svrluga had noted in the journal yesterday that the power was on at the team complex as well.