Author Topic: Scott Boras  (Read 2609 times)

Offline UMDNats

Scott Boras
« Topic Start: August 15, 2011, 07:47:48 PM »
People may have mixed opinions on the man (I am a huge fan, personally), but there's no denying he's changed the game of baseball. If you have some free time, check out this profile on him:

http://www.sportsagentblog.com/2011/08/11/bloombergs-expansive-video-profile-of-scott-boras/

Absolutely worth the long watch. Fascinating and extremely well-done and expansive profile.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Scott Boras
« Reply #1: August 15, 2011, 07:52:50 PM »
He's incredibly good at what he does and shows integrity from my POV.

Online imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #2: August 15, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
but he didn't win the Ames straw poll so he's done.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #3: August 15, 2011, 08:01:55 PM »
He's incredibly good at what he does and shows integrity from my POV.

This.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: August 15, 2011, 08:13:48 PM »
If your kid was going to be a top pick in the draft, you would probably advise him to go with boras- to me that's all that matters. He isn't responsible for the integrity of the draft or the free agent process- his job is to represent his clients

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #5: August 24, 2011, 03:42:03 PM »
speaking about Boras I thought I might as well share this in this thread instead of opening up another thread....

Angels right-hander Jered Weaver admits that he went against the advice of agent Scott Boras before agreeing to a five-year, $85 million contract extension with the team.

"If $85 (million) is not enough to take care of my family and other generations of families then I'm pretty stupid, but how much money do you really need in life?" Weaver said.

"I've never played this game for the money. I played it for the love and the competitive part of it. It just so happens that baseball's going to be taking care of me for the rest of my life."

Weaver agreed to the new contract more than a year before he could have reached free agency. He may have left tens of millions of dollars on the table.

He said he just wasn't interested in chasing "CC Sabathia money."

When the Angels approached him in July about an extension that will keep him in Anaheim through the 2016 season, Weaver said he was very interested.

Boras, he said, wasn't so supportive of what amounts to a hometown discount.

"Obviously, he wants to give you the best options and free agency can give you the best options," Weaver said. "He would have liked to have seen me gone, but I told him I wanted to get something done and he was more than willing to work with me about it that way."

Always good to see someone play for the love of the game and not for the money.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #6: August 24, 2011, 03:43:51 PM »

Apparently Mr. Weaver hasn't seen Mr. Canseco or Latrell Spreewell lately...

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #7: August 24, 2011, 03:59:18 PM »
speaking about Boras I thought I might as well share this in this thread instead of opening up another thread....

Great for Weaver. Boras obviously wasn't happy, because Weaver could get big, big money next year. But it's great to see a players stand up and say he wants to take a discount to say in LA and just play. What's the difference between $100 million and $150 million? Either way, you're set for the rest of your life.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #8: August 24, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »

lol, dunno if I'd go THAT far.  85 mil is still a crapload more money than all of us combined will ever see.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #9: August 24, 2011, 04:08:15 PM »
lol, dunno if I'd go THAT far.  85 mil is still a crapload more money than all of us combined will ever see.

Yeah, he really should have held out for the $100+ million....

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #10: August 24, 2011, 04:19:55 PM »
Boras was interviewed at Nats park yesterday before the game, along with this 3 top guys we signed.  Anybody got any crib notes?  I only caught the tail end of it.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #11: August 24, 2011, 04:20:20 PM »
Boras was interviewed at Nats park yesterday before the game, along with this 3 top guys we signed.  Anybody got any crib notes?  I only caught the tail end of it.

Something something freak you pay me...

Online blue911

« Reply #12: August 24, 2011, 04:30:03 PM »

Debbi Taylor ask him if he fed off of Trevor Bauer signing for $4M+

Offline amanuel

• what the hell is going on out there?
    • RBSL
« Reply #13: August 24, 2011, 10:12:21 PM »
Basically what I ment is that he plays to play the game, the money is a second thing. He could have gotten more money but hes atleast grateful to say 85 is enough, I won't disrespect the game like others.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #14: August 25, 2011, 09:20:20 AM »
Basically what I ment is that he plays to play the game, the money is a second thing. He could have gotten more money but hes atleast grateful to say 85 is enough, I won't disrespect the game like others.

I'd buy that if he took 850k, he still got a contract that ensures generational wealth, who knows why he did it- maybe he's risk averse, but with that kind of money, you can't just assume he's doing it for the good of the team

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #15: August 25, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
Yeah he is. If he goes normal Boras route, not a chance he ends up back in LA.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #16: August 25, 2011, 05:05:20 PM »
he does his job very well.

sure contracts are crazy compared to back in the day, but we have a good relationship with him and that's all i care about.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #17: August 25, 2011, 05:08:57 PM »
By good relationship you mean taking it the azz, sure.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #18: August 25, 2011, 05:11:38 PM »
By good relationship you mean taking it the azz, sure.

ummm, in two-three years the strasburg/harper contracts could be the most team-friendly ones in the game 8)

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #19: August 25, 2011, 05:14:34 PM »
ummm, in two-three years the strasburg/harper contracts could be the most team-friendly ones in the game 8)

:lmao:

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #20: August 25, 2011, 05:14:38 PM »
Both full contracts together are less than what we spent on Werth, Marquis, and Laroche this season.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #21: August 25, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #22: August 25, 2011, 05:27:23 PM »
he does his job very well.

sure contracts are crazy compared to back in the day, but we have a good relationship with him and that's all i care about.

It's not his fault contracts are crazy. The owners are the ones shelling out the ridiculous contracts. They're the ones buying what Boras is selling.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #23: August 25, 2011, 05:45:16 PM »
I have complete confidence that the Nats will make out like bandits on the Strasburg contract.  If you buy WAR, then his short time was worth 2.6 WAR, or over $10MM if you were buying his starts on a competitive  FA market. 

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #24: August 25, 2011, 07:34:00 PM »
If you buy WAR

since WAR doesn't actually correspond to wins (good put poorly named stat?) I don't know why you would