Author Topic: Silly mariners get their clock cleaned in trade with Bucs  (Read 1158 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
http://washington.nationals.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20090729&content_id=6126262&vkey=pr_pit&fext=.jsp&c_id=pit

Holy crap - Jeff Clement and Ronny Cedeno for FA to be Wilson and Snell? :shock: 3 more prospects to the Bucs

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Maybe the Pirates front office so starting to figure things out?

Offline hammondsnats

Maybe the Pirates front office so starting to figure things out?

the pirates just "nyjer morganed/sean burnetted" the mariners.  translation they just pwned the m's in that deal. 

Good for the Bucs. My "second favorite" team if you believe in that sort of thing. I was worried there for awhile about both the health of the franchise and my Pirate fanatic father. :lol:

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Dave Cameron at Fangraphs (and die hard Mariners fan) agrees this is a win for Pittsburgh.
http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/the-seattle-pittsburgh-deal

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
I think you're somewhat overrating this trade.  Cedeno is awful, and Clement has no glove anywhere.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
I think you're somewhat overrating this trade.  Cedeno is awful, and Clement has no glove anywhere.

Rob Neyer agrees with you.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
Guys on a Mariners board where saying wilsons a good SS

Offline HalfSmokes

Guys on a Mariners board where saying wilsons a good SS

was is not the same as is

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
I don't see what is so special about this trade. someone explain it to me. cause all I see here are awful players being traded for less awful players with awful contracts.

*edit* oh, I see. they get three additional prospects too.

Offline HalfSmokes

I don't see what is so special about this trade. someone explain it to me. cause all I see here are awful players being traded for less awful players with awful contracts.

*edit* oh, I see. they get three additional prospects too.

the prospects seem decent, they were high draft picks recently who are performing.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
JMad - Pitt got the quantity of arms and a LH power bat that is still cheap and is at worst a platoon 1st baseman.  While none of the arms is as good as the one they got for Freddy Sanchez, with prospect arms you want numbers and hope that one survives. Snell may end up being the best major leaguer going forward in the deal, but he was getting a bit costly, too.  If Clement ends up being a major league regular and they hit on one pitcher, that is more help to them thanwhat they gave up.

Offline blue911

JMad - Pitt got the quantity of arms and a LH power bat that is still cheap and is at worst a platoon 1st baseman.  While none of the arms is as good as the one they got for Freddy Sanchez, with prospect arms you want numbers and hope that one survives. Snell may end up being the best major leaguer going forward in the deal, but he was getting a bit costly, too.  If Clement ends up being a major league regular and they hit on one pitcher, that is more help to them thanwhat they gave up.

I think the deal was to get another veteran arm and not a shortstop with a bad contract.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Postscript - Rotowire reports Kenji Johjima and the Mariners have agreed to a buy out of his last two years.  KJ will be going back to Japan.  Right now, Rob Johnson is pecilled in as the starter. that is, the rob johnson of 4 off season surgeries, including two hip labrum surgeries and some elbow surgery as well.  The Mariners do have some other catching prospects (Adam "don't call me dennis" Moore) but you've got to wonder how down they were on Clement in order to trade him away for a contract that the Pirates were desparate to get out of.

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Hell, I've never even heard of Rob Johnson.  The only Rob Johnson I know was the losing quarterback in the "Music City Miracle."

WHY, WADE PHILLIPS?  WHY DIDN'T YOU START DOUG FLUTIE!?

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Rob Johnson?  Sounds like something Lorena Bobbit tried to do.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Rob Johnson?  Sounds like something Lorena Bobbit tried to do.

ba-dum-ching!