Author Topic: Define Natitude  (Read 117981 times)

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
Re: Define Natitude
« Reply #75: December 18, 2011, 01:20:42 PM »
My conspiracy theory is the cheap was ending when they signed the albatross, but he blew up in their faces and now they don't trust the baseball people to make high dollar signings

Not a bad theory at all.  Rizzo would have push his Natitude into the old mans's office in a wheelbarrow to ask for another $126 million after the Werth debacle.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #76: December 18, 2011, 01:57:28 PM »
JCA - ive been saying for a long time they're incompetent and blissfully happy to have that idiot Marky Mark as the mouthpiece (not cheque writer).  The cheapness is starting to be harder and harder to ignore though.  I'd really like to know why they didn't go for Aoki. Is it possible Werth being a bust (and not being a big draw) and Maya being a total bum has caused the SlowLerners to be gunshy?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #77: December 18, 2011, 03:30:00 PM »
MDS - you see, maybe it is my SSS perspective, but I call Werth a disappointment and not a bust.  I expected more, but he still had a 20 HR season, walked 11+% of the time (roughly half what he K'd, but I don't get as annoyed at Ks as others), stole 19 bases, played OK defense, and ran bases well (not just steals).  Even with his worst year in terms of extra base hits and OBP in while, he's not a liability except on the income statement and balance sheet.  He did not show any lameness or deterioration athletically, and looked OK in CF.  In fact, I liked him a lot better out there away from the potato masher screen / light board / high wall in right.  But is it possible that someone like Marky Mark has a some of the WNFF panic poster in him and says "I'll never allow another player to be signed for more than 5 years, and no pitcher is getting more than 3?"  Maybe he's just putting enough pressure on Rizzo to make Rizzo gun shy.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #78: December 18, 2011, 04:46:50 PM »
Probably.  It's also possible that, after years of making a dollar cry with their tightness, the Lerners didn't see the ROI they expected when they finally opened the wallet.  It doesn't help that they were ridiculed for signing Werth since he was on the wrong side of 30 coming from a stacked team of "superstars" and seen as the fraud signing it was.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #79: December 18, 2011, 08:07:47 PM »
they are committing a crime. 

Loria is looking good about now. At least he is honest about his fleecing of the fanbase.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #80: December 18, 2011, 08:15:07 PM »
Loria is looking good about now. At least he is honest about his fleecing of the fanbase.

Loria and Bill Clinton have that in common - they're both honest scumbags.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #81: December 18, 2011, 09:21:44 PM »
Phase II, Plan B, and now The Second Wave, the common theme is that the Nats remain two years away from contending. 

Quote from: Mike_Natitude_Rizzo
Some of the guys that we call 'The Second Wave', that's going to come maybe in a year and a half or two years. A.J. Cole we feel is a special talent. He's a 6'5'' right-hander pitcher who's a high school projection draft. The velocity has come, he was 95-97[mph] at the end of the season last year and really you could see him developing as a prospect. Michael Taylor is a young, Mike Cameron-kind-of-looking toolsy player that's just learning how to swing the bat. We drafted him as a shortstop out of Florida, high school, and he's made the transition to center field smoothly. Defensively he's way above his developmental curve. Offensively, he's trying to catch up. But, a 19-year-old handled the [South Atlantic League] pretty well and those are two guys that we feel have huge upsides.

http://www.federalbaseball.com/2011/12/18/2644831/is-the-washington-nationals-slow-winter-thus-far-a-positive-sign

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #82: December 18, 2011, 09:24:01 PM »
Struggling to find the words to comment on this one...

Quote from: Phil_Natitude_Woods
A caller to MASN's "NatsTalk" yesterday asked Mike Wallace and I to comment on the issue of money, specifically, the willingness of the Nationals to pay the going rate for major league free agents. She mentioned that she was motivated to ask based upon comments she'd read on a Nats online fan forum which seemed to suggest that many fans continue to believe that "the Lerners are cheap."

It's that age-old argument that claims the Nats are incapable of winning because their owners are satisfied to simply field a team and count the profits. It's an argument that holds water - if you're talking about the owners of Washington's expansion franchise in the 1960s. In the 21st century, it's utter nonsense.

http://www.masnsports.com/phil_wood/2011/12/the-green-argument.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+masnsportsNationals+%28Nationals+on+MASNsports.com%29

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #83: December 18, 2011, 09:26:20 PM »
Phil Wood= PANatsFan.  :shock:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #84: December 18, 2011, 09:31:26 PM »
The Lerner family spends as much as any other ownership group on their team, the only thing is that they hide their spending so that it is not obvious to the fans, how stupid of me to have not figured that out on my own. 

Quote from: Phil_again
The only figures that are available are major league player payrolls, and therein lies the problem: you're only seeing part of the picture...No club publishes the amount of money it spends on player development.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #85: December 18, 2011, 09:35:10 PM »
:lmao:  Wood is the latest addition to the Lerner shill mob.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #86: December 18, 2011, 09:38:38 PM »
...In the 21st century, it's utter nonsense.

Wow.  He should go back to telling us that MLB isn't the NFL instead of this ball gargling nonsense.  Wow, I really don't know what to say here.

Offline blue911

« Reply #87: December 18, 2011, 09:45:35 PM »
Last summer either Phil or Dave Johnson (the Orioles guy) said that nobody would buy a team if they were cheap. I was impressed woth that logic.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #88: December 18, 2011, 11:43:58 PM »
I just cannot believe what a futz up they pulled with Aoki.  This was one of those cases where you put in a $5MM bid just to prevent the Mets or Braves from stealing him.   

I differ with a few of you that say this is simply a case of LAC.  This is more Nats are incompetent than cheap.  Essentially, this guy's negotiating rights sold for 1/2 a WAR.  Does anyone not think he's a half a win upgrade over Bernie?  This guy would have been a cheap starter.  Sure, take Nippon Baseball stats with a grain of salt, and there was a drop off last year, but he is not old and Japanese baseball is still better than AAA.  Even Akinori Iwamura had 2 good years with the Rays before injuries that accompany age led to a decline (kicked to the curb too by Zorilla :az: ).  This would have been cheap, so I don't think LAC is the right word.

we get it ... you and PA don't think the Lerners Are Cheap. 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Offline spidernat

« Reply #90: December 19, 2011, 01:08:21 AM »
Based on a Nats online forum?  Ok which one of you was it?  :lol:

This was probably a setup question so Wood could sling Lerner propaganda. I'm sure it was a man disguising his voice to sound like a woman and if you listen carefully you might even hear a baby crying and a dog barking in the background.  :lol:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #91: December 19, 2011, 03:24:21 AM »
we get it ... you and PA don't think the Lerners Are Cheap. 

You make it really hard for me to defend you sometimes.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #92: December 19, 2011, 04:13:16 AM »
This was probably a setup question so Wood could sling Lerner propaganda. I'm sure it was a man disguising his voice to sound like a woman and if you listen carefully you might even hear a baby crying and a dog barking in the background.  :lol:
:spit: :funny:

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #93: December 19, 2011, 07:44:21 AM »
Based on a Nats online forum?  Ok which one of you was it?  :lol:

The idea that ownership is cheap is a common theme on all of the Nats boards, but it has not been a major focus recently on the MLB board and chicks don't read the BPG board, so she was certainly referring to WNFF. 

One day I'd love to read a comment from Woods referencing message board posts as something other than garbage, that might even help me remember how to spell his name.  But I don't see that happening, dude is a shill for the team and a douche to anyone who calls in with an opinion counter to his.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #94: December 19, 2011, 08:24:51 AM »
Let's assume Wood is right and say that the farm requires a substantial amount of money to run.  Is he trying to imply that the Nats are spending more than the 29 other teams in MLB on their minor leagues and scouting?  I'd really like to know what his point is with that statement.

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #95: December 19, 2011, 09:00:49 AM »
Let's assume Wood is right and say that the farm requires a substantial amount of money to run.  Is he trying to imply that the Nats are spending more than the 29 other teams in MLB on their minor leagues and scouting?  I'd really like to know what his point is with that statement.

That is exactly his point.  Now in the Nats case I don't believe it for a second, that is the BS company line coming from Mark Lerner, but I do agree with the concept as he states is applied by Tampa.  If star players under 30 cost a fraction as much as the same players over 30, why hold on to our stars after they are no longer in arbitration as long as we have a constant pipeline from the farm? 

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #96: December 19, 2011, 09:03:23 AM »
That is exactly his point.

He invalidated that though when he said the financials will never be open for public review, though.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #97: December 19, 2011, 09:23:03 AM »
That is exactly his point.  Now in the Nats case I don't believe it for a second, that is the BS company line coming from Mark Lerner, but I do agree with the concept as he states is applied by Tampa.  If star players under 30 cost a fraction as much as the same players over 30, why hold on to our stars after they are no longer in arbitration as long as we have a constant pipeline from the farm? 

For TB to work, they need better scouts to keep the influx of talent coming and better minor league coaches to make sure they are ready. If either if those is just average, they are the royals/pirates/Os/name your perpetual bottom feeding low budget team. I'd rather not bank on that stradegy here of it can be avoided

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #98: December 19, 2011, 09:37:42 AM »
So Phil Wood says the Lerners aren't cheap because cheap teams can be successful? Huh?

Offline PowerBoater69

• Twitter
« Reply #99: December 19, 2011, 09:47:35 AM »
For TB to work, they need better scouts to keep the influx of talent coming and better minor league coaches to make sure they are ready. If either if those is just average, they are the royals/pirates/Os/name your perpetual bottom feeding low budget team. I'd rather not bank on that stradegy here of it can be avoided

I agree, the Tampa reference is a red herring to point out that it is possible to build a good team without a high major league payroll, while that is true I'm not buying the idea that this ownership group is building the infrastructure necessary to pull that off.  Standard Natitude bullcrap, claiming that there is hidden spending going on behind the scenes; these are the same clowns who weren't paying their scouts expense reports on time.