Author Topic: HOF CLASS OF 2011  (Read 1698 times)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: HOF CLASS OF 2011
« Topic Start: January 07, 2011, 01:05:59 AM »
Great class this year! :clap: It's about f'n time for Blyleven.  I hope Larkin and Raines can make it in some day.  Larkin likely will.  Raines could take some time, if at all, but it was nice to see him go up this year.  It was also nice to see Jack Morris go down.

I'm tired of "benchmark numbers" automatically granting players a free pass to the Hall.  With all of the way offensive numbers have gone way up (and not just steroids:  smaller parks, lower mounds, better technology, the DH, etc.) numbers need to be put into perspective.  A 500+ homerun hitter nowadays ain't what it was 25 years ago.

I agree with your thesis here.

But I wouldn't apply it to Palmeiro.  On numbers alone, he should go in.  500 HR + 3,000 hits truly is a tremendous combination.

About the steroids, I kind of agree with JCA.  I'm starting to find more plausibility in some of his seemingly ridiculous excuses from before.  I don't like relying on the word of Tom "Orioles homer moron" Davis, though.

Re: Edgar - I think he's a great player, and this passage from Jayson Stark's book really opened my eyes about how exceptional a hitter he was.  That said, I still don't know if I'd call him HOF-worthy.