Poll

Was Keeping Soriano A Good Move?

YES!  He Brings Excitement & Energy to the Nationals!
4 (14.8%)
Yes, but only if he signs a contract extension and stays after this year.
20 (74.1%)
No, Jim Bowden cost us an opportunity to get some good pitching we so desperately need.
3 (11.1%)

Total Members Voted: 20

Voting closed: August 02, 2006, 08:00:14 PM

Author Topic: Soriano Poll  (Read 2605 times)

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
    • http://nationalsnation.spaces.live.com/
Soriano Poll
« Topic Start: August 02, 2006, 08:00:14 PM »
Alright since we are putting up polls I'm interested in this one:

Soriano Poll
« Reply #1: August 02, 2006, 09:15:29 PM »
No.  Bowden cost us a valuable opportunity we aren't most likely to get again.  Outfielders are a dime a dozen, they don't all have to be Jason Bay or Johnny Damons to be effective.  True, Soriano has a great bat but he doesn't have the supporting cast to help him out (both in the line-up and pitching).  Bowden might of given in to the "Chicks Dig the Longball" mentality.

Now the most important need is to sign Soriano ASAP to make this move somewhat worthwhile.

I posted what are we going to do about the pitching now both here and on the MLB boards.  So far the response here doesn't sound all that great to me and over on the MLB all I have gotten in response is the sound of crickets.

Soriano can bomb the other team all he wants.  Its worthless when pitching lets the other team back in the game.  Slice of Tony Armas anyone?

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Soriano Poll
« Reply #2: August 02, 2006, 09:35:17 PM »
We didn't really miss out on an opportunity if nobody was offering us what we wanted.  Obviously we need to sign him to make it worth anything at all though, so I voted B.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Soriano Poll
« Reply #3: August 02, 2006, 10:52:21 PM »
I was conflicted between B or C.  I agree mostly with what Nat of the LivingDead posted.  I too believe we lost an opportunity because we had bargaining power with Soriano.  If he walks next year...we lose that power and have to leave everything to chance with two draft picks.

However...I did end up voting B, because Soriano does serve a useful purpose:  Not only does he provide much nationwide excitement to our team and he hits the long ball, but more importantly he draws the bandwagon idiots who fill the stadium.  Warm bodies in the seats at RFK mean revenue, more revenue means more money to go around.  So if he stays past this year...he WOULD serve a purpose.  

The danger of course is what exactly happened in Cincinnatti with Ken Griffey Jr.  -->

Big bat...big headlines...no playoffs.

Offline ColtonWillems

• "You have no integrity"
Soriano Poll
« Reply #4: August 02, 2006, 11:08:55 PM »
Yes, but only if he signs a contract extension and stays after this year.

If he doesn't re-sign thats a kick straight to the balls of this team.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Soriano Poll
« Reply #5: August 02, 2006, 11:45:19 PM »
It's only worthwhile if he signs a Long Term deal at a REASONABLE Price.

I can't say I'll be terribly upset if Soriano walks, because we have Casto right behind him in Harrisburg.

but we really do NEED to sign Soriano to make holding onto him worthwhile.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Soriano Poll
« Reply #6: August 03, 2006, 01:44:22 AM »
I never really favored him staying or going, because they both were such great moves either way.  I just watched and waited.  But in the end, I am happy with the decsicion.  B.

Offline Dave B

Soriano Poll
« Reply #7: August 03, 2006, 08:43:09 AM »
Choice C is kinda irrelevant.  How do we know good pitching was passed up?  These guys are prospects so they might be good.  In the best case we were offered a guy who might be good

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Soriano Poll
« Reply #8: August 03, 2006, 12:00:20 PM »
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"

What do you think would be a reasonable price for a potential 40/40 spark-plug type guy to a 5 year extension?

Offline Dave B

Soriano Poll
« Reply #9: August 03, 2006, 01:13:52 PM »
FWIW, Bowden said on the radio that they conveyed to Soriano that if they tie up all their money in him, it hurts their ability to compete.  He understood this, apparently.  I dont think that means he'll take 8 mil instead of 15. But maybe it might be 12 or 13 instead of 15

ncg1983

Soriano Poll
« Reply #10: August 03, 2006, 01:53:52 PM »
If Soriano leaves after this year, Bowden will be laughed at by all other GMs (he tends to think he's the smartest GM in the game... only time will tell).

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Soriano Poll
« Reply #11: August 03, 2006, 03:20:24 PM »
Quote from: "Dave B"
FWIW, Bowden said on the radio that they conveyed to Soriano that if they tie up all their money in him, it hurts their ability to compete.  He understood this, apparently.  I dont think that means he'll take 8 mil instead of 15. But maybe it might be 12 or 13 instead of 15
More than likely it means he agrees and will move to New York.   :roll:

Read this article sitting down & with a drink handy:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5837666?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Soriano Poll
« Reply #12: August 03, 2006, 03:49:34 PM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
Quote from: "JMadisonIV"

What do you think would be a reasonable price for a potential 40/40 spark-plug type guy to a 5 year extension?

for Soriano, 13 Mill per season, tops. and that's being generous.

anything more than that is Overpayment, imo.  especially since he won't bat in the middle of the Order and drive in runs for us.  13 Mill per season for a Leadoff Hitter is plenty.

Soriano Poll
« Reply #13: August 03, 2006, 03:56:50 PM »
Quote from: "Senators2005"
Quote from: "Dave B"
More than likely it means he agrees and will move to New York.   :roll:

Read this article sitting down & with a drink handy:

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5837666?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=49

Its a good article and it could be a sign of things to come.  He is only saying what many causal fans have been trying to deny and push under the rug while they celebrate the lack of action on Deadline day as some sort of "victory" for the team.  I am still trying to figure out what is there to celebrate about?  We are in the same position we were before the Deadline.

It also brings up good points about Soriano's apparent "love of DC" he has but yet he has not fully acted in the best interests of the club or DC, i.e. sign the damn extension.

We are stuck in the same position we were before the Deadline now with one less option in our deck of cards.  This is going to come down to waiting for the end of the season, the tension builds again, Nats fans will resplit into factions of "He'll sign" or "He Won't Sign", and it will be a long offseason.

And if he signs, another great point the article makes is the possibility of him putting up "career year" numbers for five straight years is highly unlikely and to gamble a portion of the Nat's future on that is plain stupidity.

It's going to be rough the day people start waking up and realizing that we are walking a tightrope.  Hopefully, I pray to God, we don't fall off.

Offline NatsAddict

Soriano Poll
« Reply #14: August 03, 2006, 05:46:33 PM »
The Marlins offered 3 pitchers, Yusmeiro Petit , Renyel Pinto (3.75 ERA and who went 5 innings allowing 1 hit against the Mets yesterday) and Jason Vargas.

Pinto is the only one anywhere near MLB ready.  He's enough though, that if Soriano doesn't re-sign, Bowden should be fired.

Petit is just so much more garbage.

Vargas is hit or miss.  He's had control problems this year and wound up as long reliever.  Because of his bat, if he doesn't make it as a pitcher, he may end up an OF before his career is over.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Soriano Poll
« Reply #15: August 03, 2006, 07:39:58 PM »
Quote from: "NatsAddict"
The Marlins offered 3 pitchers, Yusmeiro Petit , Renyel Pinto (3.75 ERA and who went 5 innings allowing 1 hit against the Mets yesterday) and Jason Vargas.

Pinto is the only one anywhere near MLB ready.  He's enough though, that if Soriano doesn't re-sign, Bowden should be fired.

Petit is just so much more garbage.

Vargas is hit or miss.  He's had control problems this year and wound up as long reliever.  Because of his bat, if he doesn't make it as a pitcher, he may end up an OF before his career is over.

Untrue!  Vargas IS a big leaguer, and Petit is a great pitcher, almost ready to be called up.  Pinto had a good outing, and is a gpod pitcher.

Offline NatsAddict

Soriano Poll
« Reply #16: August 03, 2006, 10:34:34 PM »
Vargas in MLB, but's he's no big league pitcher at this point.  He started fast last year for his first six games.  He was lousy the next seven, and has stunk ever since.  Nine of his twelve outings this year have been horrible.  By allowing nearly 2 HR per 9 IP, he really has earned his 7.33 ERA.  The HRs seem to have gotten into his head, and he's afraid to pound the strike zone.

Petit's ERA is 8.68 and skyrocketing.  In his last 4 outings, he's lasted 11.2 with a WHIP of 2.57 and an ERA of 13.11.  Not only does he lack control, even when he is on, his fastball looks like a beachball.  He's accomplished the previously impossible feat of a hanging fastball.

Offline Senators2005

• Lake Ridge, VA
  • Go Natsssssss!
Soriano Poll
« Reply #17: August 04, 2006, 03:53:00 AM »
Here's another person's insight on whether Soriano will be in the Big Apple come next season (and makes me feel a little better)...very interesting:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jon_heyman/08/03/soriano.yankees/index.html

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Soriano Poll
« Reply #18: August 04, 2006, 08:23:17 AM »
It seems to me that many baseball insiders see Soriano's 2006 performance as a career year, while many Nats fans think this is the way it's going to be for 5 more years, that he's hit a new plateau.

Only time will tell who's vision was closer to reality.

Offline NatsAddict

Soriano Poll
« Reply #19: August 04, 2006, 09:01:33 AM »
Quote from: "tomterp"
It seems to me that many baseball insiders see Soriano's 2006 performance as a career year, while many Nats fans think this is the way it's going to be for 5 more years, that he's hit a new plateau.

Only time will tell who's vision was closer to reality.

Since he just turned 30 this year, I think the Nats fans may be a little closer.  His next 4 years or so should be his prime years.