Author Topic: Quote issue  (Read 3969 times)

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Quote issue
« Topic Start: November 22, 2011, 03:36:54 PM »
I'm having a repetitive issue with quotes - when I quote someone who had quoted someone else in their post, it retains the oldest quote but not the one I wanted to actually quote.

I'm having trouble explaining this, let me try another way.

1- I made a post.

2- Spider quoted me.

3- I quoted Spider, but it did not retain Spider's comments in a quote box, only my original post (1) above.  It retained Spiders text, but no quote box, and my additional comments were not differentiated from his in any way.  In our PM discussion he indicated he had had issues with the quoting too, so thought I'd report it as a possible issue. 

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Quote issue
« Reply #1: November 22, 2011, 03:41:11 PM »
Is this with the regular quote feature, or the multiquote?  Could you link me to an example next time this happens?

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #2: November 22, 2011, 03:41:26 PM »
But the post was funny because it made it seem as if you were taking over my posting with your mega mod powers.

But I've had a similar issue and sometimes when I quote a post it actually shows a page about reporting the post or sending it to an email. I don't know what that's all about.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #3: November 22, 2011, 03:45:19 PM »
But the post was funny because it made it seem as if you were taking over my posting with your mega mod powers.

But I've had a similar issue and sometimes when I quote a post it actually shows a page about reporting the post or sending it to an email. I don't know what that's all about.

Of course, now I can't replicate the error. 

But perhaps it only occurs when I'm quoting someone who had quoted me - so I'm waiting for someone to quote me to experiment again.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #4: November 22, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
Is this with the regular quote feature, or the multiquote?  Could you link me to an example next time this happens?

Regular quote.  See my additional comment below above.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #5: November 22, 2011, 03:45:57 PM »

What exactly do you mean by this?  Can either of you provide a screenshot or an example?  Or would the problem not be obvious in a screenshot?

There's no way for that to happen unless you accidentally hit the "report" or "send this topic" links.  The quote link is just an ajax script that copies the post and puts in into the quick reply box with quote tags (unless you have quick reply disabled or minimized of course, then it opens a full reply page).

Are you guys using quick reply or full reply?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #6: November 22, 2011, 03:46:23 PM »
Of course, now I can't replicate the error. 

But perhaps it only occurs when I'm quoting someone who had quoted me - so I'm waiting for someone to quote me to experiment again.

Hello.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #7: November 22, 2011, 03:47:23 PM »
Hello.

Actually, for the example in question go look at the last post in the recycle thread. 

Of course, not working here.    :?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #8: November 22, 2011, 03:48:54 PM »
If you're referring to spider's NCAA post, it looks like somebody just accidentally deleted or overwrote the quote tags when they were composing the post.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #9: November 22, 2011, 03:52:07 PM »
Wait, tom didn't supermod Spider's post?

:(

Offline The Chief

« Reply #10: November 22, 2011, 03:52:12 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #11: November 22, 2011, 03:52:33 PM »
If you're referring to spider's NCAA post, it looks like somebody just accidentally deleted or overwrote the quote tags when they were composing the post.

Well note that is my quote of his post - and yet it captured his original quote of me.  If I quote Spider, why would it bring his quote of me along with it?    :shrug:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #12: November 22, 2011, 03:54:45 PM »
Wait, tom didn't supermod Spider's post?

:(

I accidentally deleted it trying to fix it to reflect his quote and my response as being separate and distinct. 

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #13: November 22, 2011, 03:54:56 PM »

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #14: November 22, 2011, 03:55:55 PM »

Well, I was using "quote" not reply or quick reply.

But I always use regular reply.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #15: November 22, 2011, 03:56:29 PM »
Well note that is my quote of his post - and yet it captured his original quote of me.  If I quote Spider, why would it bring his quote of me along with it?    :shrug:

Wait...  what? :lol:

If both of you could make a note of the exact process (every single click) and posts involved next time this happens, and link me to the unmodified resulting posting (don't fix it), I'll try to duplicate the issue and get to the bottom of it.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #16: November 22, 2011, 03:58:33 PM »
Wait...  what? :lol:

If both of you could make a note of the exact process (every single click) and posts involved next time this happens, and link me to the unmodified resulting posting (don't fix it), I'll try to duplicate the issue and get to the bottom of it.

Sure, it's impossible to track at this time.

One thing that is a bit non-standard that happened there - spider had edited my original post to display a certain passage in bold when he quoted me.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #17: November 22, 2011, 03:59:00 PM »
tom, does the problem you're having look like this:

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #18: November 22, 2011, 04:01:17 PM »

No, it looks just like the deleted post in the recycle bin.

Hummm....I wonder if I hit "Modify" instead of "Quote"?

:-[

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #19: November 22, 2011, 04:02:24 PM »
:rofl: so that is your text in the bottom?

Offline spidernat

« Reply #20: November 22, 2011, 04:20:39 PM »

There's no way for that to happen unless you accidentally hit the "report" or "send this topic" links.  The quote link is just an ajax script that copies the post and puts in into the quick reply box with quote tags (unless you have quick reply disabled or minimized of course, then it opens a full reply page).

Yet this has happened to me numerous times. Quote and report to moderator/send this topic are no where near each other. Besides, I have no need or use for reporting a post or sending a topic. Also, if this had been once or twice I would buy into the theory but this has happened to me a dozen times at least.

No, it looks just like the deleted post in the recycle bin.

Wait, you three have access to a recycle bin?  :shock:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #21: November 22, 2011, 04:21:42 PM »
Yet this has happened to me numerous times. Quote and report to moderator/send this topic are no where near each other. Besides, I have no need or use for reporting a post or sending a topic. Also, if this had been once or twice I would buy into the theory but this has happened to me a dozen times at least.

There HAS TO BE some GREAT BWT images in there!!!!!

Offline spidernat

« Reply #22: November 22, 2011, 04:22:35 PM »
There HAS TO BE some GREAT BWT images in there!!!!!

Probably a couple of my best contributions.  :?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #23: November 22, 2011, 04:22:53 PM »

Not sure what to suggest, but I've never seen anything remotely like this in 4+ years using SMF to run the forum.  Are you getting this from a computer or some other device like a phone or ipad?

Well where else are we gonna keep all the deleted BWT posts :mg:

Offline The Chief

« Reply #24: November 22, 2011, 04:23:15 PM »
Dammit Minty beat me to it :lol: