Author Topic: Mauer: UPDATED -8 year extension with the Twins.  (Read 2007 times)

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
Mauer: UPDATED -8 year extension with the Twins.
« Topic Start: February 01, 2010, 04:15:30 PM »
http://wcco.com/sports/twins/joe.mauer.minnesota.2.1462891.html

Sources: Mauer, Twins Agree To 10-Year Contract
MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) ―

Sources tell WCCO-TV's Mark Rosen that American League MVP Joe Mauer has come to a preliminary agreement with the Minnesota Twins for a 10-year contract extension.

Mauer, 26, and the Twins had been pretty quiet about contract negotiations, while fans were eager to find out if their hometown hero would be staying put at last weekend's annual fan festival.

This is Mauer's final year of his current contract and manager Ron Gardenhire said Friday he was confident that both sides would come together and strike a deal.

Mauer's current salary this season is $12.5 million. Contract details about his new salary were not immediately released.

Mauer became only the second catcher in 33 years to win the coveted AL MVP award, finishing first in an almost unanimous vote in November.

Mauer set a major league record for highest batting average by a catcher and won his third batting title, becoming the first repeat batting champion since Nomar Garciaparra in 1999-00.

He's been voted to the All-Star team three times and won his second straight AL Gold Glove award.

Mauer was born in St. Paul and would've been a free agent after the 2010 season.

Rosen will have all the latest details on WCCO 4 News at 5 p.m., 6 p.m. and 10 p.m.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: Mauer: 10 year extension with the Twins.
« Reply #1: February 01, 2010, 04:16:17 PM »
Awesome.  He's not a Yankee!

Offline blue911

« Reply #2: February 01, 2010, 04:18:58 PM »
Awesome.  He's not a Yankee!

Has Ron Shapiro ever dealt with the Yankees?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #3: February 01, 2010, 04:19:26 PM »
Interesting to see if there's deferred compensation or if the contract is backloaded, and if he earns his keep throughout the 10 years.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #4: February 01, 2010, 04:23:43 PM »
Interesting to see if there's deferred compensation or if the contract is backloaded, and if he earns his keep throughout the 10 years.

Not a chance that he earns it throughout 10 years, but by streching it out, it lets them pay him what he wants without killing the budget.

Offline soxfan59

• Gough, Gough White Sox!!!
    • John R. Russell, Ltd.
« Reply #5: February 24, 2010, 02:39:18 PM »
Hmmm.  Still no contract, and spring training has begun.  I bet this doesn't happen.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #6: February 24, 2010, 02:41:39 PM »
Hmmm.  Still no contract, and spring training has begun.  I bet this doesn't happen.

I'm sure that would be damn disappointing to you, eh?    :lol:

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7: February 24, 2010, 05:14:28 PM »

Best interests of baseball would have this deal done.

Online HalfSmokes

« Reply #8: February 25, 2010, 11:11:34 AM »
Best interests of baseball would have this deal done.

of baseball yes, of the Twins, maybe no- 10 years at close to $20 million per could cripple them long term especially towards the tail end when/if he is no longer effective behind the plate. I was reading that one of the justifications behind earlier multi-year huge dollar contracts, was that as the player tailed off, salary inflation would mean that the contract wouldn't turn into an albatross. Now salary inflation has pretty much disappeared, and if it doesn't come back, the Twins would really regret this deal in six or seven years

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9: March 21, 2010, 06:20:35 PM »
Deal done for Mauer: 8 years/$144 million
E-mail|Link|Comments (9) Posted by Peter Abraham, Globe Staff March 21, 2010 05:43 PM

New deal starts next season and includes a full no-trade clause. Good deal for him and the team, especially if he's still catching by the end of the contract.

The deal will be announced at 7 p.m.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/03/deal_done_for_m.html

Please correct the topic to 8 years

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #10: March 21, 2010, 06:27:11 PM »
:lmao:

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #11: March 21, 2010, 07:04:48 PM »
Wonder how much of that money he will actually 'earn'.

I love the guy, I think he's a class act... but for that kind of money, all on a catcher... I just don't see him being worth it late in his career.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #12: March 21, 2010, 07:38:31 PM »
but for that kind of money, all on a catcher...

Yeah, those catchers are a dime a dozen.

:?

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #13: March 21, 2010, 07:53:35 PM »
wow.  BTW, I read the wall is 12 ft closer in the new stadium to help him out.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Yeah, those catchers are a dime a dozen.

:?

You know that's not what I meant.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Wow - $184m, not $144m!  I guess he has to be a full time catcher through age 32 (6 years) to make the number make sense.

Offline UMDNats

Phew. Baseball is saved...for right now.

Offline DPMOmaha

Phew. Baseball is saved...for right now.
Yep.  Good for Mauer, good for the Twins, good for baseball.

Online HalfSmokes

Yep.  Good for Mauer, good for the Twins, good for baseball.

I would say Good for Mauer, good for baseball, jury is still out on the Twins

Offline DPMOmaha

Why wouldn't it be good for the Twins?

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Because by the end of the contract... its not likely to be financially worth it to them.

Online HalfSmokes

the yankees can afford to whiff on a contract like that (Jason Giambi for instance or Carl Pavano), look at how long it took the Rockies to come back from botched contracts (mostly Mike Hampton, but others as well). As long as he's produdcive its fine, but if his knees or back force him to DH (Morneau is blocking first), you have a DH who is one of the highest paid players in the game. If his back gets to the point the it effects the bat, or if he is out for portions of seasons, you have a large chucnk of team salary that is not producing.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Because having one player tie up 20-25% of your team payroll means an awful lot of eggs in one basket.  High risk.

Offline blue911

the yankees can afford to whiff on a contract like that (Jason Giambi for instance or Carl Pavano), look at how long it took the Rockies to come back from botched contracts (mostly Mike Hampton, but others as well). As long as he's produdcive its fine, but if his knees or back force him to DH (Morneau is blocking first), you have a DH who is one of the highest paid players in the game. If his back gets to the point the it effects the bat, or if he is out for portions of seasons, you have a large chucnk of team salary that is not producing.

Can't all of these arguments be used against any long term deal? Frankly I think it's better than the Holiday deal.

Online HalfSmokes

Can't all of these arguments be used against any long term deal? Frankly I think it's better than the Holiday deal.

yes, but certain teams can afford to make mistakes and others can't.