Author Topic: OK Seriously, how are we handling the NLDS threads?  (Read 3904 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
We need to work this thing out.

For reference, here's the discussion so far:

http://www.wnff.net/index.php?topic=27843.0

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Who had the best record? If they win Game 1, they keep it. If not, the next best record and so on

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
Chief
nats2playoffs
Veteran
Veteran
Veteran

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
Chief
nats2playoffs
MDS
houston-nat
Chief

Imo.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
MDS needs the Edwin Jackson start

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
I should do one. I've never lost.

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
Merge this with the other thread   :judge:

:lol:

Offline spidernat

As the patriarch of the clan Chief, you should get the first one. But N2P should get consideration before anyone else as a long time veteran of the board.

Offline Coladar

I personally think Chief ought to start them all. Maybe have some who have created the most unique GDTs in the past do the design on a rotational basis. This way you avoid hurt feelings, nutty superstitions, etc. And Chief is the one who started this all, the "only" Nats board as far as I concerned. Next year, divvy it up. This year, my vote is for chief as starter and using others designs, with credit given.

That, or have everyone submit a design/layout. Everyone votes on the best, those with highest ranking get their choice of game or games depending on number entered and number of games. Might not be popular, but I would exclude all who joined in the last year. I'm sure some great people have joined, but those of us who watched 162 games in 08 and 09... They have been waiting for this for a far longer time, and deserve the boon of starting threads to be immortalized in Nats and DC history.

Offline The Chief

If it's really what people want, I'll do the first one.  Since it's a road game and I like taking "confrontational" games (like my win vs Hudson), that would work out alright.  We could give N2P the first home game, since that's guaranteed to be played as well and also has special significance.  I don't know what to suggest for the other game(s).  As Coladar said, I don't want anyone to feel snubbed.

ronnynat hasn't been mentioned yet, that I recall.  He's been "waiting as long as it takes" for a long time.  Not sure if he'd even be interested.

Offline spidernat

Maybe ronnynat was the one holding us up. Take notice that it wasn't until he changed his previous avatar that the Nats finally made the playoffs.  :lol:

Offline The Chief

I noticed you haven't asked, either, señor senior.  Not interested, I assumed.  How many times have you tried to talk me into deleting your account? :lol:

Offline bshep86

• Thank you Davey!
I should do one. I've never lost.

Hey, hey, I'm undefeated too. 1 and 0 counts right?  :mg:

Offline spidernat

I noticed you haven't asked, either, señor senior.  Not interested, I assumed.  How many times have you tried to talk me into deleting your account? :lol:

I only asked once and you denied my request so I gave up.   :mg:

Besides, I asked for dibs once and got turned down.  :?  All jokes aside, starting game threads isn't my thing so I would rather leave it to people who take joy in doing it. Also, I don't have the skills nor the motivation to come up with the crazy crap some of the other posters do for game threads.  :lmao:  And I'm going to the Skins game on Sunday plus I have tickets to all 3 home games so I won't be around the game threads anyway. The only one I may be around for is game 2 and I have a premonition that I will be in bad shape from drinking all day Sunday. We start drinking at 9 am for 1 pm Redskins games and my brother and I usually end up at a bar for the Sunday night game. 

Perhaps a request though. Whoever does it should include a shout out to all the Nats fans who have persevered here at the WNFF family. I can't believe that some of us have been here and "known" each other since the beginning (2005) because we all started at the other board and moved here when the patriarch blazed the path to the promised land.  :lol:  I request there be a special shout out to nospin. He would be thrilled about where the Nats are right now (unless the Cardinals advance because he, like Bob Carpenter, also grew up a Cardinals and a Senators fan  :D).

Offline DPMOmaha

As I said before, I'd love to be considered for one of them.  Only game I wouldn't be able to do is Thursday's if we have to cross that bridge.

Offline ZIM4MVP

Chief
nats2playoffs
MDS
houston-nat
Chief

Imo.

Chief has hit his game thread limit.  I say we go with the 4 man rotation

Offline The Chief

As I said before, I'd love to be considered for one of them.  Only game I wouldn't be able to do is Thursday's if we have to cross that bridge.

I actually had a half-formed idea for a collaborative "out of town Nats fans" thread for game 2 of the series (since it's on the road).  You, houston-nat, maybe Minty if he's interested...  not sure who would officially start the thread, you guys could figure that out.  The three of you have all been around for a while, too.

Offline Smithian

• Sunshine Squad 2022
I'm out of town, too!!!!

I'm even flying in for this

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
I personally think Chief ought to start them all. Maybe have some who have created the most unique GDTs in the past do the design on a rotational basis. This way you avoid hurt feelings, nutty superstitions, etc. And Chief is the one who started this all, the "only" Nats board as far as I concerned. Next year, divvy it up. This year, my vote is for chief as starter and using others designs, with credit given.

That, or have everyone submit a design/layout. Everyone votes on the best, those with highest ranking get their choice of game or games depending on number entered and number of games. Might not be popular, but I would exclude all who joined in the last year. I'm sure some great people have joined, but those of us who watched 162 games in 08 and 09... They have been waiting for this for a far longer time, and deserve the boon of starting threads to be immortalized in Nats and DC history.

Let's not overthink this thing.

Offline The Chief

I'm out of town, too!!!!

I'm even flying in for this

Wasn't excluding anyone, DPM houston and Minty were just the first three way-out-of-town names that sprang to mind.

Offline Coladar

Let's not overthink this thing.

Overthink how? The more I think about it, the more I prefer my latter proposal.

People would have to *earn* it, AND we'd have the best of the best as the starting posts. You go with the vote, people earn it, best/most original posts, no hurt feelings, and if Person Z starts Game C by choice or by my idea, chances are my idea yields a better or more original design.

Maybe I am alone on this one, but to me the best part and the most important aspect of being a GDT starter is doing a kickass starting post, not hooplah and superstition. These games are us putting everything out there since this forum will explode with thousands come Sunday who have never been here before. The ultimate goal should be us presenting our best face.

And for the regulars, the main problem is we will have forty people wanting to start, and could have anywhere from three to, at most, 14 or 15 games. There is no way to avoid pissed off people if the determining factor is three or four people agreeing out of fifty different ideas for who should start what.

This idea, convoluted it may be, is the only way to avoid those hurt feelings and have the greatest possible starting posts.

Start a thread, have people post designs. Chief gets game one. Close submissions Saturday midnight or Sunday midnight, then do the vote. Plenty of time left.

Edit to add: Do it on a series by series basis, so we know our opponent, day and time, and SP/players. If we face the O's in the WS, threads would be way different than the As. That way what is submitted is tailored for the games and will be, basically, what is posted.

Offline spidernat

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
Me
You
Me
Me
Me

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
For easy reference, here's everyone's W/L record and winning percentage for this season:

1.000 - 6-0 - The Chief
1.000 - 2-0 - Nathan
1.000 - 1-0 - aussienatsfan, bshep86, CALSGR8, Dixon Ward, Jordanz Meatballz, Kentucky_National, Minty Fresh, PC, Squab, tenken627, Tokeydog
.750 - 3-1 - OldChelsea
.727 - 8-3 - houston-nat
.667 - 2-1 - Clever, Coladar
.636 - 7-4 - cmdterps44
.625 - 5-3 - nats2playoffs
.600 - 9-6 - sportsfan882
.571 - 4-3 - BigMeech
.545 - 6-5 - DPMOmaha
.538 - 7-6 - RobDibblesGhost
.500 - 4-4 - Lintyfresh85
.500 - 1-1 - GOON, imref, lastobjective
.476 - 10-11 - MarquisDeSade