Author Topic: Please Click  (Read 1898 times)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Please Click
« Topic Start: October 16, 2006, 09:37:08 PM »
My cousin's wife died of Breast Cancer last year.  He sent me this email.

Please click on the following website so that poor women can have Free Mammograms, so that this horrible cancer can be caught early and prevent them from suffering the same fate.  It WONT COST YOU A THING!

Please take time to do this.

A favor to ask, it only takes a minute.... and is so very
 important!!

Please tell ten friends to tell ten today! The Breast Cancer site
 is having trouble getting enough people to click on their site
 daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram
 a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less than a minute to
 go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram" for free
 (pink window in the middle).

This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate
 sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate
 mammograms in exchange for advertising.

Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

AGAIN, PLEASE TELL 10 FRIENDS TO TELL 10 TODAY

Offline kimnat

Please Click
« Reply #1: October 16, 2006, 09:41:39 PM »
Done.  :)

nospinzone1

Re: Please Click
« Reply #2: October 16, 2006, 09:59:10 PM »
[quote="CALSGR8"]My cousin's wife died of Breast Cancer last year.  He sent me this email.

Please click on the following website so that poor women can have Free Mammograms, so that this horrible cancer can be caught early and prevent them from suffering the same fate.  It WONT COST YOU A THING!

Please take time to do this.

A favor to ask, it only takes a minute.... and is so very
 important!!

Please tell ten friends to tell ten today! The Breast Cancer site
 is having trouble getting enough people to click on their site
 daily to meet their quota of donating at least one free mammogram
 a day to an underprivileged woman. It takes less than a minute to
 go to their site and click on "donating a mammogram" for free
 (pink window in the middle).

This doesn't cost you a thing. Their corporate
 sponsors/advertisers use the number of daily visits to donate
 mammograms in exchange for advertising.

Here's the web site! Pass it along to people you know.

http://www.thebreastcancersite.com

AGAIN, PLEASE TELL 10 FRIENDS TO TELL 10 TODAY[/quote]

WILL PASS TO MORE THAN TEN AND WILL CLICK EVERY DAY, ALTHOUGH I AM PISSED AT THE LOCAL CANCER SOCIETY THAT DENIED MY WIFE A PROSTESIS FOR HER SISTER THAT HAD A MASTECTOMY IN CUBA. AFTER ALL THE DONATIONS WE DO TO THE CANCER SOCIETY, IT SEEMS UNFAIR. THEY GOT DOZENS OF THEM LAYING AROUND IN THEIR STOREROOM.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
Please Click
« Reply #3: October 16, 2006, 11:55:52 PM »
HEY PEOPLE!

A friend of mine just sent me the following information.  I didn't know this before I posted this.   :oops:   So all can be informed, I'm passing it on:

While technically true, there is significant misleading information in these types of soliciting.  Here's what snopes.com has to say.

At The Breast Cancer Site, you can "donate" clicks towards the provision of mammograms for underprivileged women in the U.S. And it's no scam, even if it's not exactly as described in the e-mailed exhortation to become part of this.

Unlike the way things are explained in the e-mail, one click does not magically provide a mammogram to a needy woman ? it takes 45,000 clicks, not just one. Averaging 58,000 clicks a day, The Breast Cancer Site provides funding for approximately 1.3 mammograms a day. Visitors are also not prohibited from clicking more than once; they just can't do so more than once a day.
Sponsors become involved with this site (and others like it) as a form of advertising and public relations and thus are willing to pay for their messages to be viewed by consumers. They pay CharityUSA.com, the parent entity of the site, on a per-click basis; CharityUSA.com directs 75% of the total ad revenue collected to the National Breast Cancer Foundation and keeps the remaining 25% to run the site. (The Breast Cancer Site is not a non-profit entity, so it shouldn't be confused with a charity even though it does direct a significant portion of its revenues to those in need. It exists to make a profit, and that it's still around proves it's succeeding at this.)

I don't want to throw cold water on this, but think that people should have the whole story when deciding how and what to support.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Please Click
« Reply #4: October 17, 2006, 10:49:15 AM »
The clicks do help, albeit very slowly. Those clicks could count for a lot more if the web site's daily hit/click count could be increased. According to the Snopes article, 1.3 free mammograms per day. I have access to more than just this computer so upping the number of clicks from just this computer to the six I have access to, doesn't make much more of a dent, but it will help the click count rise faster.

Since I'm either working at one of those six computers, or close enough that I can easily load the http://www.thebreastcancersite.com site each day and click, why not take the few seconds and just do it... Works for me, but best of all it works for 470 (and with enough people's help, hopefully that number will grow) women a year, who aren't able to afford the mammogram...

AuRevoirExpos

Please Click
« Reply #5: October 17, 2006, 11:43:07 AM »
By hitting the back button after each click, it takes literally 10 seconds to click 10 times. If every active poster did that once a day that would be literally thousands of clicks per week from this site alone which would make a real difference.

Very worthy cause. My mother had breast cancer years ago, and has been given peace of mind ever since by being able to have a mammogram every 2-3 years.

Offline Kenz aFan

• Just a fan
Please Click
« Reply #6: October 17, 2006, 11:00:41 PM »
I guess you're unfamiliar as to how cookies can be made to work. Something this site uses in order to justify the click counts with sponsors. It's once a day per IP address.

AuRevoirExpos

Please Click
« Reply #7: October 18, 2006, 01:55:17 AM »
Quote from: "Kenz aFan"
I guess you're unfamiliar as to how cookies can be made to work. Something this site uses in order to justify the click counts with sponsors. It's once a day per IP address.

Yep, totally unfamiliar! To me a cookie is something you give your kids before bedtime with a glass of milk  :?  You know the problems I'm having with my PC even seeing what the rest of you guys see, so don't be surprised by anything I say or do!!!  :cry:

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Please Click
« Reply #8: October 18, 2006, 06:51:48 AM »
Quote from: "AuRevoirExpos"
To me a cookie is something you give your kids before bedtime with a glass of milk  :?

:clap:  :lol:

nospinzone1

Please Click
« Reply #9: October 18, 2006, 09:42:31 AM »
By hitting the back button after each click, it takes literally 10 seconds to click 10 times. If every active poster did that once a day that would be literally thousands of clicks per week from this site alone which would make a real difference.

Very worthy cause. My mother had breast cancer years ago, and has been given peace of mind ever since by being able to have a mammogram every 2-3 years.

THAT WOULD BE CHEATING AND I DONT CONDONE CHEATING.[/b]

AuRevoirExpos

Please Click
« Reply #10: October 18, 2006, 12:58:05 PM »
Quote from: "nospinzone1"

What's cheating, or who is cheating? Please explain what you mean.

nospinzone1

Please Click
« Reply #11: October 18, 2006, 11:15:38 PM »
Quote from: "nospinzone1"

What's cheating, or who is cheating? Please explain what you mean.

YOU ONLY SUPPOSED TO CLICK ONE TIME A DAY

AuRevoirExpos

Please Click
« Reply #12: October 19, 2006, 11:50:46 AM »
I'm sure the Breast Cancer Site want people to click as often as they can. Actually I'm also clicking on the Animal Rescue Site, the Rain Forest Site, the Child Health Site, and the Hunger Site whenever I can, from both my home PC and from work, so I guess I must be 'cheating' not once but 5 times!!  8)

nospinzone1

Please Click
« Reply #13: October 22, 2006, 10:37:24 PM »
I'm sure the Breast Cancer Site want people to click as often as they can. Actually I'm also clicking on the Animal Rescue Site, the Rain Forest Site, the Child Health Site, and the Hunger Site whenever I can, from both my home PC and from work, so I guess I must be 'cheating' not once but 5 times!!  8)

ACTUALLY IT DOES NOT MATTER HOW MANY TIMES YOU CLICK....THEY ONLY COUNT ONE OF OURS A DAY