Author Topic: Google Thread  (Read 40134 times)

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
Re: Google Thread
« Reply #300: August 30, 2010, 11:58:41 PM »
I've used Google Voice / Grandcentral for a few years now for in-bound call management and I absolutely love it.  I still can't get used to using it for outbound dialing on my Blackberry, I might use dial-out on the laptop but I hate being wedded to a computer when I'm on the phone, it's too difficult to take a bathroom break or get something to eat/drink during a long conference call.

Oh man if you could transfer it to your phone and back to gchat that would be :az:

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #301: August 31, 2010, 12:02:26 AM »
Oh man if you could transfer it to your phone and back to gchat that would be :az:

you can do this for calls made "to" your google voice account:

http://www.google.com/support/voice/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=115080

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #302: September 07, 2010, 05:28:37 PM »
WTF is up with the google logo today?

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #303: September 07, 2010, 05:31:01 PM »
WTF is up with the google logo today?

I usually don't even use the search page since I use Chrome and can search through the toolbar.  Today I've had the home page open all day and am still amused by it.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #304: September 07, 2010, 05:32:12 PM »
I usually don't even use the search page since I use Chrome and can search through the toolbar.  Today I've had the home page open all day and am still amused by it.
I don't usually use it either, I search through FF's search bar, but a friend asked me about it.  Pretty cool that it's in HTML5 instead of flash and doesn't bog down my computer.  Even my crappy work PC handles it fine.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #305: September 07, 2010, 05:34:29 PM »
What's up with it?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #306: September 07, 2010, 05:35:40 PM »
What's up with it?
Did you go to it?  It's in HTML5 so it won't work in older versions of browsers like IE, but IE8, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox should all work.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #307: September 07, 2010, 05:38:26 PM »
Basically, when you mouse-over the logo, it explodes, then reassembles.

Offline Potomac Cannons

« Reply #308: September 07, 2010, 05:43:24 PM »
You can keep running the mouse around chasing the balls everywhere.  Some of them go completely off the screen then come back.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #309: September 07, 2010, 05:44:55 PM »
Did you go to it?  It's in HTML5 so it won't work in older versions of browsers like IE, but IE8, Chrome, Safari, and Firefox should all work.
Yeah, I did and it didn't do anything out of thoe ordinary, but I think I have an older version of all that stuff...

Offline Nathan

« Reply #310: September 07, 2010, 05:46:02 PM »
Yeah, I did and it didn't do anything out of thoe ordinary, but I think I have an older version of all that stuff...
Well then, you should upgrade :P

I recommend Firefox or Chrome.

Offline PC

« Reply #311: September 07, 2010, 09:22:22 PM »
Well then, you should upgrade :P

I recommend Firefox or Chrome.

Firefox 4 Beta 4 is out today.  It's very Chromish.

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #312: September 07, 2010, 09:28:29 PM »

which speaks volumes about the quality of Chrome as a product.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #313: September 07, 2010, 09:37:21 PM »
Is Chrome skinnable?  It's just too funky looking for me to use at work I think.  I'm supposed to be using IE6 :spaz: but I use FF since it looks "generic" enough to not be noticed.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #314: September 07, 2010, 09:38:11 PM »
Yeah that's what I'm using.  I really like the app tab thing.  I keep WNFF and my gmail in app tabs.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #315: September 07, 2010, 09:38:14 PM »
i switched to Chrome a few months ago, i still miss a few FF extensions, but it's faster and i like the fact that windows crash independently of one another.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #316: September 07, 2010, 09:39:21 PM »
i switched to Chrome a few months ago, i still miss a few FF extensions, but it's faster and i like the fact that windows crash independently of one another.
I believe Firefox is supposed to have that feature in FF4 at some point.

Offline PC

« Reply #317: September 07, 2010, 09:50:00 PM »
It's Beta 5, not 4, FWIW.

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #318: September 08, 2010, 01:08:11 AM »
Now it's just plain gray :(

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #319: September 08, 2010, 09:05:31 AM »
Firefox with Adblock Plus and flash block = no advertisements.

Love it.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #320: September 08, 2010, 10:13:01 AM »

"not really" to both, imo.  I can see where the comparison would be made, but I think the idea that Mozilla is copying Chrome is inaccurate.  I think it's more a case of simply there are only so many ways to deliver the kind of things that the modern browser market expects/demands, so there are going to be a lot of similarities.

I like Chrome as a secondary browser, but it's still too restrictive and minimalist for my taste.  I'm sure I could find extensions to make it more like what I prefer, but what's then what's the point?

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #321: September 08, 2010, 10:20:29 AM »
Chrome is fast as hell but has no security plugins that I trust. I typed in msnb.com instead of msnbc.com or something like that and Avast! blocked a bunch of spyware and trojans.

Lunascape (en.lunascape.tv) really is faster than bloated-ass firefox and runs gecko, IE, and Safari engines.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #322: September 08, 2010, 10:26:39 AM »
The app itself is fast to launch and has some nice features (sandboxing, multi-threading), but the idea that it is somehow significantly faster (or faster at all) on pageloads or surfing in general is overblown.  Everyone always screams "sunspider" but in real-world usage the difference in JS performance is generally imperceptible.  Then again I don't hang out on sites full of overwrought pointless JS-driven demos whose sole purpose is to show off differences in browser speed.  Same thing goes for all the talk about IE9 and the accelerated fish demo.  Whoopee.  Never going to be an issue in real-world use, and anyone who designs a site so overladen with crap that is becomes an issue should be drug out back and shot.

/end rant :lol: :-[

Offline PANatsFan

« Reply #323: September 08, 2010, 10:28:58 AM »
The app itself is fast to launch and has some nice features (sandboxing, multi-threading), but the idea that it is somehow significantly faster (or faster at all) on pageloads or surfing in general is overblown.  Everyone always screams "sunspider" but in real-world usage the difference in JS performance is generally imperceptible.  Then again I don't hang out on sites full of overwrought pointless JS-driven demos whose sole purpose is to show off differences in browser speed.  Same thing goes for all the talk about IE9 and the accelerated fish demo.  Whoopee.  Never going to be an issue in real-world use, and anyone who designs a site so overladen with crap that is becomes an issue should be drug out back and shot.

/end rant :lol: :-[

Well, on my netbook, bloat is a problem, and Firefox is a gigantic bloated beast.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #324: September 08, 2010, 10:30:38 AM »
Well, on my netbook, bloat is a problem, and Firefox is a gigantic bloated beast.

It's not really that bad, but okay.  I've long since given up arguing with people about the Firefox bloat myth.  It's heavier than Chrome, but not nearly by the amount that people seem to think.

When I've used netbooks I actually tend to use Firefox anyway just because their fullscreen mode is more usable to me than Chrome's.  Chrome's is "true" fullscreen, which makes navigation a pain.  Easier to just zoom out a notch or two if you really need the extra viewing space.