Author Topic: 2012 Bullpen (Preseason Discussion)  (Read 3024 times)

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
2012 Bullpen (Preseason Discussion)
« Topic Start: October 03, 2011, 05:29:50 PM »
Pretty straight foward. Who do you think will be in the bullpen next year?  Who do you want to be in the bullpen next year?  What did they do to earn it?  Do you think any relievers will be added through trade or free agency?

Offline SkinsNDeacs

Re: 2012 Bullpen
« Reply #1: October 03, 2011, 05:42:36 PM »
Storn
Clip
H Rod
Balester
Livo
Severino
Burnett

off the top of my head

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #2: October 03, 2011, 05:43:59 PM »
Mattheus, too, and Kimball when he gets healthy.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #3: October 03, 2011, 05:48:53 PM »
Storen and Clip will be there.  Burnett and HRod will probably be there unless they are packaged with other players in a trade for an upgrade somewhere else.  Gorzelanny will probably be there.  The rest is kind of up in the air.

Offline Bloo

« Reply #4: October 03, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
Stammen
Livo
Gorz
Burnett
HotRod Flames
Clippard
Storen

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #5: October 03, 2011, 07:01:06 PM »
One man's opinions:

Quote from: Batting Stance Guy
<----ok, so you have a Bonds, Ruth, Mantle, Schmidt, Jeter jersey? Top this. I dare you. #Nats

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #6: October 03, 2011, 07:33:08 PM »
Stammen
Livo
Gorz
Burnett
HotRod Flames
Clippard
Storen

Bunnies :evil:

Offline Bloo

« Reply #7: October 03, 2011, 07:37:52 PM »

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #8: October 03, 2011, 07:50:26 PM »
Storen,
Clip
Burnett
HRod
Mattheus
Gorzelanny
Stammen

Coffey if there is an injury or trade of any of the above. Balester is really on the bubble as he has no options left. Severino,Maya, back to AAA. Slaten dumped as soon as possible.Unfortunately  Livan is no longer in the plans for the Nats'

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #9: October 03, 2011, 08:01:26 PM »
Storen,
Clip
Burnett
HRod
Mattheus
Gorzelanny
Stammen

Coffey if there is an injury or trade of any of the above. Balester is really on the bubble as he has no options left. Severino,Maya, back to AAA. Slaten dumped as soon as possible.Unfortunately  Livan is no longer in the plans for the Nats'

I'd say almost this with Bally over Gorzo since gorzo is going to make way more in arbitration than Bally at league min

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #10: October 03, 2011, 09:26:52 PM »
I don't see Gorzo coming back next year due to the fact that if you figure in arbitration he will be due 2.5-3 million next year which is to much for e mediocre reliever.  Realistically I also don't see Livo back so don't hold your breath. 
These are who I consider our core bullpen guys:

Storen
Clipp
Burnett
H-Rod
Mattheus

Everyone else in my mind is interchangeable and they will battle it out in Spring Training.  I don't think Coffey or Slaten will be back in addition to Gorzo.  This leaves the following guys to battle it out in the spring for the rest of the jobs.

Mattheus
Severino
Balester
Rafael Martin
Elvin Ramirez

Out of these guys I think Mattheus is the most likely to make the club.  I see the rest of the guys as guys who have good stuff but it will be the ones with the best command who get chosen.  Lastly I would not be surprised if the club pursued another reliable lefty to go along with Burnett who sucked pre-all star break and the inexperienced Severino regardless of if he makes the roster.  The two best lefties on the market are Javier Lopez and jeremy Affeldt.  I would greatly prefer Affeldt who would make our great bullpen even greater.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #11: October 03, 2011, 11:00:29 PM »
CLOSER Storen
SETUP Clippard, H-Rod, Mattheus
LEFTIES Burnett, Gorzo
LONG Livan or Stammen

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #12: October 03, 2011, 11:42:53 PM »
CLOSER Storen
SETUP Clippard, H-Rod, Mattheus
LEFTIES Burnett, Gorzo
LONG Livan or Stammen
Dang.  A list full of legit major leaguers...

I want to see a game Stras starts some time next year, and have Livo come in and followed by Hrod.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #13: October 03, 2011, 11:59:13 PM »
I just started drooling like Pavlov's dog...

Offline RL04

« Reply #14: October 04, 2011, 02:05:19 PM »
unless they are packaged with other players in a trade

Well, that's just it.

Ya never know.

Anyone could be gone in a trade ... or injury.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #15: October 04, 2011, 02:11:08 PM »
Storen
Clipp
Burnett
H-Rod
Mattheus
Stammen
Severino
Kimble (when healthy)

I think Livo and Gorzo are gone. I would like to see Slaten go and although I like Baly, he really struggled this year and he might be cut.

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #16: October 04, 2011, 02:26:17 PM »
I don't see Gorzo coming back next year due to the fact that if you figure in arbitration he will be due 2.5-3 million next year which is to much for e mediocre reliever.  Realistically I also don't see Livo back so don't hold your breath. 
These are who I consider our core bullpen guys:

Storen
Clipp
Burnett
H-Rod
Mattheus

Everyone else in my mind is interchangeable and they will battle it out in Spring Training.  I don't think Coffey or Slaten will be back in addition to Gorzo.  This leaves the following guys to battle it out in the spring for the rest of the jobs.

Mattheus
Severino
Balester
Rafael Martin
Elvin Ramirez

Out of these guys I think Mattheus is the most likely to make the club.  I see the rest of the guys as guys who have good stuff but it will be the ones with the best command who get chosen.  Lastly I would not be surprised if the club pursued another reliable lefty to go along with Burnett who sucked pre-all star break and the inexperienced Severino regardless of if he makes the roster.  The two best lefties on the market are Javier Lopez and jeremy Affeldt.  I would greatly prefer Affeldt who would make our great bullpen even greater.

You listed Matteus twice

Offline aspenbubba

« Reply #17: October 04, 2011, 02:30:54 PM »
I'd say almost this with Bally over Gorzo since gorzo is going to make way more in arbitration than Bally at league min

Gorzelanny will make much more in arbitration but he can spot start without bringing somone up from 'Cuse like we did with Maya. I don't think the Lerners are that parsimonius that they will keep Balester when he blew most of his opportunities to contribute this year. I was very disappointed  with his performance especially after he did so well at the end of '10.

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
« Reply #18: October 04, 2011, 02:50:05 PM »
I want Pat Neshek on a minor league deal because he throws funny.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #19: October 04, 2011, 02:50:39 PM »
I'd say Clippard, Storen, H-Rod, and Burnett are locks barring a trade, but I think it is likely that at least one or two will be traded.

Coffey I think is gone, especially if there is a compensation / Type B supplemental pick we can get back for him. 

Slaten may get pushed out, possibly by Severino. Severino shocked the heck out of me in September.  Stammen I think may have one more option, so will start the year in the minors.

I suspect Balester hangs on as a long man.  Mattheus may get sent down as a numbers / option victim.  Gorzo I think re-signs, either after they refuse his option or a settlement before arbitration.  Depending on rotation depth, Detwiler is either the 5th starter or the lefty long man.

So - Storen, Clippard, Burnett, H-Rod, two of Severino, Detwiler, and Gorzo, and Bally or Livo.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #20: October 04, 2011, 05:06:32 PM »
I'd like to see...
LR:
Livo
Stamen
MR:
H-Rod
Mattheus
Burnett
SU:
Clippard
CL:
Storen

Plus re-sign one of Gorzo, Coffey. Or Kimball when he's healthy, or some cheapish FA hurler.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #21: October 04, 2011, 05:32:49 PM »
Coffey is probably a non-tender candidate so Type B is not really a consideration, I would think.

I also think it would be a mistake to get rid of Gorzelanny.  He's a legitimate MLB starter, even if it is a #4/5 starter.  That will be useful if one or more of our main guys gets injured.  I don't think Balester has proven that he could handle starting for an extended period of time.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #22: October 04, 2011, 06:53:13 PM »
I was pretty meh on Gorzelanny early in the season but he looked great as a lefty out of the bullpen. If he was cheaper, I'd say they'd be stupid to get rid of him.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #23: October 04, 2011, 07:02:01 PM »
I also think it would be a mistake to get rid of Gorzelanny.  He's a legitimate MLB starter, even if it is a #4/5 starter.  That will be useful if one or more of our main guys gets injured.  I don't think Balester has proven that he could handle starting for an extended period of time.

he's going to make too much to justify it, and we have enough options that will end up stashed in AAA (Milone, Peackock, Detwiler all won't make the rotation) who are at least as good not to mention guys who will be advancing to that level next year

Offline Spinman

• Grandpa Spinman
« Reply #24: October 04, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
I wanted to add my thoughts on this issue. Balester has played the options game for 3 years now, knowing his chance will be in 2012 to break camp with the club. If you look at Bally's complete bullpen work over the last 2 years he has a 3.89 ERA and averaging 9 k's per 9 innings. Take away a couple of bad outings his ERA would be around 3.00.  I would say Bally breaks camp ( unless he is traded) with the club and they give him the same amount of time to work into his role just like they did with HRod. I could be wrong, but if we go with the past track record of the Nats GM/FO... Bally is in the pen in 2012 and some of the others will take their turn at the "Option" game. Bally's ERA in ST 2011 was 1.91 and he still didn't make the 25 man out of ST 2011 after a 2.57 ERA in 2010 and 16 straight scoreless innings streak during the final 2 months of 2010.