Author Topic: Nationals vs Braves, Game 2  (Read 15925 times)

Offline Air Zimmerman

• best 3b in the business
Re: Nationals vs Braves, Game 2
« Reply #150: August 30, 2008, 11:58:31 PM »

DUKES EMPHATICALLY POUNDING HIS CHEST IN TRIUMPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dukes won the battle!!!!!!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #151: August 31, 2008, 12:00:08 AM »
His numbers are not just average. His RBI production is stellar. He is a great young catcher playing his first full season as an everyday catcher.

We have a lot of really great pieces. The team we have constructed can be competitive for years. Flores, Milledge, Dukes, Zim, Bonifacio, and a slew of others are a great base. Sure we need a little but we are not far off. I'm with AZ. With a little relief help and either the signing of a 1B-man and/or a LF-er and we are looking money. Hell, you never know. Someone like AK or Pena could have a career year and NJ could finally stay healthy for a year. Like I said, if we catch a few breaks next year we could be looking at a division winner. The Mets and Phils are going down hill.

Well, I guess at this point we have as much chance as any other team in '09. :lol:

Flores needs to up his average and OBP next year. Outside of that, he's been pretty solid. He's just not as good as he was for a while there. Not very surprising. He's young.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #152: August 31, 2008, 12:00:35 AM »
Dukes is freaking awesome. I hope he realizes how great he could be if he continues to stay out of trouble.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #153: August 31, 2008, 12:02:20 AM »
Well, I guess at this point we have as much chance as any other team in '09. :lol:

Flores needs to up his average and OBP next year. Outside of that, he's been pretty solid. He's just not as good as he was for a while there. Not very surprising. He's young.
Yeah, he's pretty streaky like the rest of our players. I don't think he'll ever have that high of an OBP because he likes to swing early in the count but I think he can hit .280+.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #154: August 31, 2008, 12:03:23 AM »
Dukes is freaking awesome. I hope he realizes how great he could be if he continues to stay out of trouble.

it's SCARY what Dukes WILL become. he's got 40/40 potential.

he's now stolen 12 bases on 13 attempts, that's EFFICIENCY!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #155: August 31, 2008, 12:04:13 AM »
(Image removed from quote.)

DUKES EMPHATICALLY POUNDING HIS CHEST IN TRIUMPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kick ass. I liked the way Anderson Hernandez stepped on home plate for the GW run too.

Offline Air Zimmerman

« Reply #156: August 31, 2008, 12:09:22 AM »
Kick ass. I liked the way Anderson Hernandez stepped on home plate for the GWrun too.

ya, it was an intense battle between Dukes and Nunez, and Dukes PREVAILED!

Dukes now has 3 walk-off RBI's this year! i thought Zimmerman was untouchable in terms of late game heroics, but Dukes is challenging him. i don't know who i'd rather have when the game is on the line, it's a close call.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #157: August 31, 2008, 12:10:34 AM »
Tonight Dukes used yet another tool: Patience. Coupled with the win what is not to like?

Anybody ever hang with Russians at a baseball game? I'm noticing a trend. The concept that the game continues until someone wins seems to be an alien concept.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #158: August 31, 2008, 12:11:33 AM »
Dukes now has 3 walk-off RBI's this year, he's challenging Zimmerman as "Mr. Walk Off". between Dukes and Zimmerman, i don't know who i'd rather have at bat when the game is on the line. it's a close call.

For the hit, I'd definitely go w/ Zimmerman. For the walk: Dukes.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #159: August 31, 2008, 12:13:10 AM »
Yeah, Zim's got like 4 walk-off HRs in what, 3 seasons. Berkman hit a walk-off HR last night for the 'Stros. It was the first of his career.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #160: August 31, 2008, 12:13:54 AM »
Berkman hit a walk-off HR last night for the 'Stros. It was the first of his career.

Wow, that's surprising.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #161: August 31, 2008, 12:43:04 AM »
Jesus Flores (23): 58 RBIs in 296 ABs.
Russell Martin (25): 56 RBIs in 468 ABs.

If Jesus had a full season worth of ABs he'd end up with over 100 RBIs.

Offline eagleskins

• BANNED FOREVER
« Reply #162: August 31, 2008, 02:00:49 AM »
Why is no one giving Joel love?  This guy might be the hottest pitcher in baseball since July.

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #163: August 31, 2008, 02:09:45 AM »
Jesus Flores (23): 58 RBIs in 296 ABs.
Russell Martin (25): 56 RBIs in 468 ABs.

If Jesus had a full season worth of ABs he'd end up with over 100 RBIs.

Not to mention, Jesus is on a team that doesn't get a lot of scoring opportunities normally.

IMO (thought just popped into my head), the RBI stat should be RBI/ABs with RISP.

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #164: August 31, 2008, 08:46:44 AM »
RICK ECKSTEIN FOR THE WIN!!! :lol:

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #165: August 31, 2008, 09:28:54 AM »

Not me.  I find that in any clutch situation, I want Dukes.

In fact, I cannot fathom why Dukes isn't hitting cleanup.  Can someone explain this to me?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #166: August 31, 2008, 10:38:03 AM »
Not me.  I find that in any clutch situation, I want Dukes.

In fact, I cannot fathom why Dukes isn't hitting cleanup.  Can someone explain this to me?

Not sure. Maybe it's so we have better balance in the lineup.

Offline houston-nat

« Reply #167: August 31, 2008, 10:58:51 AM »
CALL ME CRAZY, I PROCLAIM THIS TEAM RIGHT HERE THE RAYS OF 09. meaning next year, we are gonna do what the Rays are doing now.

We got a team here, folks. If things break our way we could win the division next year. We got more young talent that anyone in our division by far. The Braves are going to be horrible for the foreseeable future and the Mets and Phils have about hit the end of their roads.

I'm glad I'm not the only person who thinks so. I was saying these things even when we were sucking, in places like the Plan thread and the Incurable Optimists thread. If we add a top-flight left-fielder and a good first baseman, and maybe a serviceable starting pitcher who comes cheap, we will turn things around bigtime. The Rays are actually a good example: over this past offseason, they added basically almost nothing - Troy Percival, I think a couple bench players, and a couple relievers. The rest was homegrown talent they already had lying around. We need to borrow some of their plays and put the last touches on this team, while we wait for the REAL reinforcements to bubble up from A and AA ball.

However, I'm not happy with our current win streak. I really want us to finish with 105 losses on the season. Why? Well, Stephen Strasburg is a pretty awesome reason, but there's another one. The record for biggest difference in W/L records from one season to the next is (I think!?) 39. Tampa Bay almost certainly won't break this one (they'd have to pull off a Rockies-style 20-game win streak). We could have before this annoying winning streak started; before these 5 we had a realistic shot at going, say, 56-106, which would have almost guaranteed that next year we'd break the record.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #168: August 31, 2008, 10:59:33 AM »
I have to agree with Minty, Dukes is rapidly gaining the kind of following that Zimmerman used to have.

Hopefully Zimm will get back to form and we can all be equal opportunity worshippers.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #169: August 31, 2008, 11:00:10 AM »

DUKES EMPHATICALLY POUNDING HIS CHEST IN TRIUMPH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dukes won the battle!!!!!!

Looks like he's having a sudden acute heart attack :lol:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #170: August 31, 2008, 11:03:03 AM »
Why is no one giving Joel love?  This guy might be the hottest pitcher in baseball since July.

He didn't pitch in Game 2. Why is it all about Joel w/ you?