Author Topic: NBC Late night shuffle  (Read 3002 times)

Offline Coladar

Re: NBC Late night shuffle
« Topic Start: March 08, 2013, 08:43:10 PM »
NBC truly, truly doesn't get it. That's obvious just looking at their lineup and ratings, but did they learn nothing from Conan? Nothing?

Fallon appeals to an even younger, more banal and retarded audience. Conan was the smart and 20ish, now 30ish audience, Fallon more the drunken college dorm room gigglefest. Fallon moves to the Tonight Show, and the wacky humor he's found a niche with gets tossed out so they don't lose the 40-60 somethings who keep Leno on the air. He has to, and when he ditches that he has absolutely nothing to bring.. That's what NBC is too damn stupid to get:

11:35 is the 40-60 working stiffs who want some laughs in bed after the local news. 12:35 are the people who don't have to be up at 6am. Move 12:35am show to 11:35 with the same format, you'll still get 12:35am numbers or worse. Those working stiffs don't find the college humor appealing. And christ, putting Stern on at 12:35... His brand of humor isn't exactly big with the high school-college 12:35am audience.

If Conan failed as miserably as he did at 11:35 despite the talent/resources he had, Fallon's one trick pony and far weaker comedic abilities will go up in flames. 11:35 needs the Letterman or Carson, the Ed Sullivan type - a likeable, charismatic fellow who can read jokes and is an excellent interviewer. Someone grannies can watch and 'get.' That's not Fallon... Dare I say, but if you toned down Stern he could actually work at 11:35 - way more than Fallon, and way better than he himself could with the 12:35 slot/show.

I love Craig Ferguson, think he's an absolute genius with his show and its the *only* show where celebrities come to pimp out their projects that I watch. But Geoff the robotic gay skeleton and Secretariat the two interns in a wacky horse costume dancing around? That fails epicly taking over for Letterman. 11:35 and 12:35 are two very different beasts, requiring two very different types of shows.

In other words, NBC still doesn't get it, and never will. That's one sinking ship that's already underwater.