Author Topic: Minty's "do you still play" thread  (Read 57229 times)

Offline EdStroud

Re: Minty's "do you still play" thread
« Reply #75: January 21, 2010, 10:50:29 PM »
I have played baseball/softball all of my life.  Scouted out of high school by the Twins and White Sox.  Was offered partial scholarships to American and George Washington universities.  I wasn't the college type of guy(anything with school books) and decided to go to work and play in the credit union leagues (Virginia and Maryland).  Ran some Fall Ball teams around Northern Virginia a couple of years before having something happen to me that convinced me I had made the right decision to work for a living.  A bird dog(remembered me from High School) for Mississippi State saw me playing for my Fall Ball team and wanted me to go to MSU(after JuCo).  They worked me out and said I would make a decent first baseman (had been a third baseman for a long time).  To show my age the starting first baseman at Mississippi State at the time was a guy named Will Clark and in Left was the next one named Rafael Palmeiro.  I'm glad I didn't stick around and shine their spikes for them, not my style.  I now coach both High School baseball and basketball, loving every second of it.