Author Topic: Gameday Protocol Discussion  (Read 10771 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Gameday Protocol Discussion
« Reply #25: May 03, 2009, 05:13:38 PM »
I have absolutely no idea where you guys are coming up with this stuff.  The threads are made at like 7 the morning of, and locked the following morning.

Offline blue911

« Reply #26: May 03, 2009, 05:15:05 PM »
I have absolutely no idea where you guys are coming up with this stuff.  The threads are made at like 7 the morning of, and locked the following morning.

I make stuff up to suit my needs, can't vouch for the others.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #27: May 03, 2009, 05:23:46 PM »
I confess, I think part of the fun of the Gamethreads was the periods before and after the game where we either pumped each other up/voiced or dread and celebrated ultimate victory/cussed the team out. Yeah, sometimes the discussion strayed, but it was fun.

Now that there is this time limit thread open/close BS and I think it sort of ruined some of it.
:clap: :clap:

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
« Reply #28: May 03, 2009, 05:40:01 PM »
Quit blaming 2k6, most of the threads locked early were by me because you guys started insulting each other or talking about things totally unrelated to baseball (or that belong in uncensored, in some cases). Quit blowing things out of proportion and then whining about it :roll:

I guess presenting your case and asking one of us to reopen the thread in an even manner would make too much sense :?

Offline blue911

« Reply #29: May 03, 2009, 05:41:26 PM »
Quit blaming 2k6, most of the threads locked early were by me because you guys started insulting each other or talking about things totally unrelated to baseball (or that belong in uncensored, in some cases). Quit blowing things out of proportion and then whining about it :roll:

I guess presenting your case and asking one of us to reopen the thread in an even manner would make too much sense :?

Can I blame Hammonds? How about his dog?

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #30: May 03, 2009, 05:42:05 PM »

How about just establishing a set closing time and we can all work around that?

« Reply #31: May 03, 2009, 05:49:37 PM »

Who is blaming 2K6?

I guess if your the one closing the threads we should be blaming you then, but I don't look to lay blame on anyone. I just don't like the new rules if you came up with them, 2K6, Blue, Tom, SF, AZ, or a collective, it doesn't matter. I just feel the Gamethreads lost something.

I guess voicing your opinion and discussing about how this "community" could be run for optimum enjoyment would make too much sense and be too democratic. :?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #32: May 03, 2009, 05:49:43 PM »
I think that's the point, we already have that and bc I locked 2 or 3 early for administrative reasons (one of which I reopened after about 5 mins) and all of a sudden everyone's out with the pitchforks screaming zomgwtfbbqstopoppressingus!!!  Sorry if I think game threads should be for discussing things at least tangentially related to the actual games... I thought I've been pretty forgiving about that stuff anyway but apparently not enough for some people

Offline The Chief

« Reply #33: May 03, 2009, 06:00:53 PM »
:lol: now I'm undemocratic :roll:

Offline blue911

« Reply #34: May 03, 2009, 06:05:13 PM »

Commie bastard

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #35: May 03, 2009, 06:10:50 PM »
baseball is fun

Offline blue911

« Reply #36: May 03, 2009, 06:12:55 PM »
baseball is fun

Why didn't you start the game day thread?

Offline BerkeleyNat

Re: Gameday Protocol Discussion
« Reply #37: May 03, 2009, 06:27:31 PM »
I reserve the right to talk Caps anytime, anywhere, anyplace. It could be worse...I could start talking about the Ravens.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #38: May 03, 2009, 06:28:31 PM »
I'm fine with keeping threads open between games, but you guys need to realize that if a thread needs to be split, it's easier for me to lock the thread while I'm doing said maintenance.  I don't care if you want to talk about hockey or whatever, as long as you're not breaking any of the (very few) rules that I enforce here, you're golden.  Just don't go crapting a brick if I have to lock a thread for 5 or 10 minutes here and there so that I can clean it up when they DO get out of hand.  It's a pain in the ass to split threads while people are still posting in them.

The only other reason I can think of that threads sometimes aren't open as long as you might like is because I'm not always sitting in front of a computer at 7am or whatever arbitrary time we're talking about, so sometimes I lock them when I get a chance.  Though I'd like to point out that that's usually later rather than sooner.

« Reply #39: May 03, 2009, 07:00:43 PM »

Fascism is the new black in some circles.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #40: May 03, 2009, 07:03:31 PM »
Fascism is the new black in some circles.

You would know, your avatar looks like an Argentinian Nazi refugee ;)

« Reply #41: May 03, 2009, 07:04:42 PM »
You would know, your avatar looks like an Argentinian Nazi refugee ;)

Now why do you have to get all racial up in dis' here biznitch? :lol:

EDIT: Wait a minute, do you not see the Skinhead in your avatar?!  :P

Offline The Chief

« Reply #42: May 03, 2009, 07:09:08 PM »
Do they have Romulan skinheads? :P

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #43: May 03, 2009, 07:34:11 PM »
Can we get to the nub of this whole thing - why do the gameday threads need to be locked?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #44: May 03, 2009, 07:37:31 PM »
How long after a game ends do you think the thread should be open?

Till the next day noon.  I can't always read the threads straight away, though I like to read them all.  The next day's thread doesn't get going until mid-late afternoon, so why not let folks comment on the previous night's game for a while?

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #45: May 03, 2009, 07:40:38 PM »
Can we get to the nub of this whole thing - why do the gameday threads need to be locked?

time to move on.  Stop living in the past.

In a fairly significant way, these threads represent a very interesting historical archive of fans' thoughts, feelings, and most of all emotions throughout entire seasons.  Every single game a historical artifact, and preserved for as long as Chief is still kicking.   :?              But, I digress.

I like the idea of locking discussion the next day sometime, lest the thread be polluted with non-game related BS.  But no reason to lock it too early. 

Offline PatsNats28

« Reply #46: May 03, 2009, 07:42:47 PM »
How about we lock the GD thread of the day before by the time the next days GD thread is posted (or when the lineups are announced for the next game, cuz sometimes the GD threads are made @ like 8 AM)

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #47: May 03, 2009, 07:46:41 PM »
Can I blame Hammonds? How about his dog?

What dog?

I like threads when theyre off topic, it gives us something to enjoy ourselves besides alcohol with this team.

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
« Reply #48: May 03, 2009, 07:46:47 PM »
This is what I've been doing pretty much every day, contrary to some people.  I make that day's gameday thread when I leave for work (about 7 AM).  At that time, I lock the previous day's GD thread.  The reason I would be against leaving the previous day's thread open until some time the next day is because I wouldn't be able to be consistent.  After I leave for work, all bets are off as far as my availability to moderate.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #49: May 03, 2009, 07:47:10 PM »

Why didn't you start the game day thread?

i had a feeling this one would be called haha naw i was going to the game so didn't have time.

2-0 though 8)