Author Topic: Linux Thread  (Read 20458 times)

Offline The Chief

• http://www.wnff.net
Re: Linux Thread
« Reply #250: February 15, 2010, 08:42:13 AM »
If you want to maintain the best possible compatibility (on mobile devices) without losing quality, you're probably best just sticking with WMA, honestly.  You could do FLAC but device compatibility with FLAC is spotty compared to WMA, and FLAC takes up a lot more space.  If you want to maximize compatibility with both computers and mobile devices and aren't concerned about losing some more quality, a high bitrate MP3 conversion is probably best.

On the other hand, if your only concern is playing these files on PCs (not portable devices) then vorbis and FLAC are both fine - though as Obed pointed out, going to Vorbis will lose more quality (just like going to MP3) and as I pointed out, FLAC takes up a ton of space.

There's no real "best" answer here.

Just out of curiosity, how did you end up with so many WMAs?

Offline JMW IV

• Name on the Front > Name on The Back
« Reply #251: February 15, 2010, 11:05:46 AM »
it's not a lot of WMAs. just an album's worth.

I downloaded the album Internal Affairs by Pharoahe Monch, from thepiratebay and WMA was the format.

I normally don't download torrents and stuff like that(I buy my stuff generally), but Internal Affairs is one of my favorite albums of all time, and it's out of print(because the song "Simon Says" used a sample from the Godzilla theme song and didn't get the sample cleared, so they got sued and were forced to stop selling the CD). and thepiratebay was the only place I could find the entire album(it's not even on Last.fm bleh).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internal_Affairs_(album)

Normally i try to get MP3 when I can.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #252: February 15, 2010, 11:53:53 AM »
If it's only only one album and you're not worried about it playing on mobile devices, I'd probably go with FLAC.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #253: February 23, 2010, 07:39:20 PM »
Anyone try the *buntu 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" Alpha?  I burned a live CD of alpha 2 but it still looked a little too buggy for me even just as my "hobbyist" OS. 

The track pad was really wonky.  The pointer just sort of stayed in the middle of the screen and jumped around back and forth about 1/2" away from dead center of the screen.  When I would try to move it, it would for a distance then jump back to the middle of the screen and do it's dance again :lol:

I'll wait and check out alpha 3 in a couple days.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #254: February 23, 2010, 08:16:14 PM »
the only Alpha anything i used is Alphabet.

I'll take a look when it reaches late Beta status.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #255: February 25, 2010, 09:23:15 PM »
what's the deal with Yellow Dog Linux?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #256: February 25, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »

It's for Power PC Macs

Offline Nathan

« Reply #257: February 25, 2010, 09:53:32 PM »
It's a distro that specialized in making a Mac compatible OS when Apple still used PPC chips instead of Intel.  Now they've added support for the PS3's cell processor, which is based on the PowerPC architecture.

Many big distros support a PPC release though, such as Fedora.  *butnu no longer officially supports PPC.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #258: February 25, 2010, 10:01:07 PM »
It's a distro that specialized in making a Mac compatible OS when Apple still used PPC chips instead of Intel.  Now they've added support for the PS3's cell processor, which is based on the PowerPC architecture.

Many big distros support a PPC release though, such as Fedora.  *butnu no longer officially supports PPC.

yep. that is why I am asking.

I'm probably gonna buy that 80gb PS3 and put a Linux distro on it. just looking to see if there is possibly a better distro option for the PS3 than Ubuntu.

how's does the user experience differ between YDL and Ubuntu? anything in particular i should know?

Offline Nathan

« Reply #259: February 25, 2010, 10:06:25 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #260: February 25, 2010, 10:09:04 PM »
And by the way, it's not going to be the greatest experience, especially on a SDTV.

Offline JMW IV

« Reply #261: February 25, 2010, 10:15:43 PM »
And by the way, it's not going to be the greatest experience, especially on a SDTV.

oh, i know. but i really only need it to do a few things, pc-wise. mainly web browsing for message-board posting and social media. and a little bit of word processing through google docs.

i wonder if i can hook a ps3 up to a flatscreen monitor.

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #262: February 25, 2010, 10:18:25 PM »
Why put Linux on a PS3 at all? Seems like a lot of work for something that could be easily replicated with commodity hardware; probably cheaper and better.

Granted, I am happy to accept the idea that you might want to do it simply because you can. IE hobbyist fun.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #263: February 25, 2010, 11:32:19 PM »
Why put Linux on a PS3 at all? Seems like a lot of work for something that could be easily replicated with commodity hardware; probably cheaper and better.

Granted, I am happy to accept the idea that you might want to do it simply because you can. IE hobbyist fun.

I remember Dreamcast Linux. Never got it to work though.

I wonder if you could boot a PS3 off a USB stick...

Offline Obed_Marsh

« Reply #264: February 26, 2010, 12:51:33 AM »
I never bothered with linux on other devices except for some free handheld that was being given away by a Korean company. I cannot for the life of me recall the name and device parted my company a long time ago.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #265: February 26, 2010, 08:38:28 AM »
I run DD-WRT on my Linksys router.  That's linux-based.  Quite useful, and a lot cheaper than buying a "real" wireless bridge.  Better reception, too.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #266: February 26, 2010, 01:25:14 PM »
Tomato firmware FTMFW.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #267: February 26, 2010, 01:32:24 PM »
Tomato firmware FTMFW.

Tomato doesn't support my router, but even if it did, I probably wouldn't switch.  What I have does what I needed, and I don't want to risk bricking the router.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #268: February 26, 2010, 06:18:59 PM »
DD-WRT bricked my router, but I was able to recover it and went tomato instead.  Really all I wanted at the time was bandwidth metering when Comcast started enforcing a 250 GB limit.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #269: February 26, 2010, 06:21:20 PM »
DD-WRT bricked my router, but I was able to recover it and went tomato instead.  Really all I wanted at the time was bandwidth metering when Comcast started enforcing a 250 GB limit.

I thought for sure I was going to brick mine during the initial flashing process, it was pretty complicated, but it worked out and I've had nary a problem with it since.  Even upgraded it a few times, which was much simpler.  I use it as a wireless bridge so that I can just do wired to my desktop and put the router (which essentially acts as my wireless card) anywhere I want.

You actually download enough to worry about Comcast's cap? :nono: :lol:

Offline Nathan

« Reply #270: February 26, 2010, 06:23:18 PM »
Well, as I found out, I don't.  I just wasn't really sure.  I'm usually under 50 GB a month though.  I do a lot of video streaming and distro downloading, so I was a bit worried at first.  Turns out that even with all the bandwidth I use, I'm still way under the cap.

Offline The Chief

« Reply #271: February 26, 2010, 06:23:59 PM »

Offline Nathan

« Reply #272: February 26, 2010, 06:25:52 PM »
:lol: What?

Offline The Chief

« Reply #273: February 26, 2010, 06:26:45 PM »
"distro downloading"

Offline Nathan

« Reply #274: February 26, 2010, 06:27:27 PM »
Ah, I get you :rofl: :lmao: