Author Topic: NFL Playoff Pick 'Em - Conference Championships  (Read 2971 times)

Offline UMDNats

Re: NFL Playoff Pick 'Em - Conference Championships
« Reply #25: January 20, 2008, 03:03:29 PM »
i actually think GB is going to win, but i need to be a little risky to win this.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #26: January 20, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »
Chargers are keeping it close!  Lets go Chargers... :clap: :pray:

natsfan1a

« Reply #27: January 20, 2008, 06:08:42 PM »
grrr, they didn't do it. Maybe if LT had been able to play... :( At least I got to see my guy Joe Montana in a commercial.

Chargers are keeping it close!  Lets go Chargers... :clap: :pray:

Offline kimnat

« Reply #28: January 20, 2008, 06:41:48 PM »
Dang!  We think it's cold here!  Lambeau (sp?) Field is at -1 and has a windchill of -23 F.  That is frickin' COLD!  The guys put a glass of water out w/ them to see how fast it would take to freeze solid - 30 minutes!  Geez!!  Those people are INSANE!  It's too dang cold!!!  That being said - GO PACKERS!!!

natsfan1a

« Reply #29: January 20, 2008, 06:45:32 PM »
That was funny (the glass)! Not that I'd condone such an activity, but I wonder whether there are any "ugly hat" drinking games going on around the nation (e.g., every time you see a commentator in a Mad Bomber hat you have to down something). :)

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #30: January 20, 2008, 06:57:38 PM »
I remember in college watching a playoff game involving the Cleveland Browns.  The stadium was packed and with the windchill factor of -30.  It was THAT team which Modell moved and became the Ravens!  Still angers me to this day!  They had the fan support.  Just no cushy club seats at the old stadium.   >:(

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #31: January 20, 2008, 10:14:29 PM »
Wow I went 2 for 2 today. Nice!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #32: January 20, 2008, 10:15:17 PM »
DARN DARN DARN!!!!!  I hate the Giants!  GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!

MrMadison

« Reply #33: January 20, 2008, 10:27:37 PM »
DARN DARN DARN!!!!!  I hate the Giants!  GO PATRIOTS!!!!!!

you mad?

*celebrates*

Offline kimnat

« Reply #34: January 20, 2008, 10:32:28 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

you mad?

*celebrates*

Glad your happy.  I'm just too much of a steeped Redskins fan to ever root for the Giants!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #35: January 20, 2008, 10:34:51 PM »
New England over San Diego 27-20
New York over Green Bay 24-21
Man I was real close to predicting the games exactly right.   8)

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #36: January 20, 2008, 10:58:29 PM »
Somehow I knew this would happen.   :roll:

I would have thought that GB would pull it out.  Tough game though.  Close.  Oh well.

I'm not sure who to root for in the SB.  Breaking up Perfection or not!

« Reply #37: January 20, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »
Wow, this is perhaps going to be the WORST Super Bowl in recent memory. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #38: January 20, 2008, 11:35:10 PM »
I think this should be a decent Super Bowl.  You got the Pats going for 19-0, something that will probably never happen again. You got Eli Manning playing in his first Super Bowl and also attempting to give the Manning family back to back Championships.  The Giants played the Pats a month ago and it was a very exciting and competitive game.  I see no reason why this game isn't close as well.  Right now if I had to pick I'd say the Pats would win in a close one but I'm definitely going to be putting some $$$ down on the Giants +13-14 and on them to win straight up. 

Offline Ericas Nats

• Only Nationals fan in Seattle! :)
« Reply #39: January 21, 2008, 03:11:20 AM »
ok i suck at picking the winners..

so im going with the GIANTS for SUPERBOWL

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #40: January 21, 2008, 12:00:49 PM »
It partly depends on whether Plaxico Burress has decided that he's proven himself now, and has nothing left to prove. His motivations are a mystery.

« Reply #41: January 21, 2008, 12:24:39 PM »
I think this should be a decent Super Bowl.  You got the Pats going for 19-0, something that will probably never happen again. You got Eli Manning playing in his first Super Bowl and also attempting to give the Manning family back to back Championships.  The Giants played the Pats a month ago and it was a very exciting and competitive game.  I see no reason why this game isn't close as well.  Right now if I had to pick I'd say the Pats would win in a close one but I'm definitely going to be putting some $$$ down on the Giants +13-14 and on them to win straight up. 

Its going to be a slaughter.  Just give the Pats the trophy now.  The only reason the Pats almost lost the last meeting between these two teams is because a.) the game did not matter to the Pats.  Their playoffs were sealed. b.) who gives a crap about the Giants except JMad? Would you if you were the Patriots at that point?  Yeah undefeated is nice but not required.  It doesn't get them any extra points.  The whole deal is the Super Bowl.

Tom Brady and a loaded Patriot team against Eli Manning and who?  Giants shouldn't even be there for all intensive purposes.  They aren't a great team.  They got there by the Good Luck Fairy.  And they will need her to do anything in the Super Bowl.  Trust me, I hate the Pats and I would love to see them lose but I just don't think its going to happen.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #42: January 21, 2008, 12:47:47 PM »
Just give the Pats the trophy? While I think the Pats will win, I think it'll be a good game. Eli is playing the best football of his career and their team in general is playing awesome.

"Who gives a crap about the Giants except Jmad?" What? How about the thousands, if not millions, of Giants fans and the rest of us who just want to see the Patriots lose? I'm a Steelers fan and don't like Eli for what he did in 2004, but I give them a lot of credit for making it this far.

They ARE a great team. How can you say they're not? That's a joke. They're the NFC Champions and beat the #1 and #2 seeds on the road to get there. Sure you need some luck, but they've won every game they've played in the playoffs and that isn't all luck.

If they aren't a great team, then who is, besides the Patriots? The Colts? They lost to the Chargers. The Chargers? They're great when healthy. The Cowboys? The Packers? Explain to me how the Giants aren't a great team. And don't say "they're just lucky," because every single team gets luck down the road (even the Dolphins). Hell, the Patriots get lucky all the time.

The Giants will compete with the Pats.

They have a great D-line led by Strahan and Umenyiora and because they get so much pressure from the D-line, they drop 6-7 in coverage more than not. That allows them to cover the plethora of Giants recievers and should allow them to contain the Patriots' bread and butter: the dump-off to the RB. If you watch the Patriots, you'll see most of their passes are shorter ones with tons of YAC. The Giants will have their LBs roaming and not blitzing so they should be able to cover to RB out of the backfield. If they tackle well, Brady will be forced to look downfield more, and will have to take more chances.

« Reply #43: January 21, 2008, 12:58:58 PM »
Just give the Pats the trophy? While I think the Pats will win, I think it'll be a good game. Eli is playing the best football of his career and their team in general is playing awesome.

"Who gives a crap about the Giants except Jmad?" What? How about the thousands, if not millions, of Giants fans and the rest of us who just want to see the Patriots lose? I'm a Steelers fan and don't like Eli for what he did in 2004, but I give them a lot of credit for making it this far.

They ARE a great team. How can you say they're not? That's a joke. They're the NFC Champions and beat the #1 and #2 seeds on the road to get there. Sure you need some luck, but they've won every game they've played in the playoffs and that isn't all luck.

If they aren't a great team, then who is, besides the Patriots? The Colts? They lost to the Chargers. The Chargers? They're great when healthy. The Cowboys? The Packers? Explain to me how the Giants aren't a great team. And don't say "they're just lucky," because every single team gets luck down the road (even the Dolphins). Hell, the Patriots get lucky all the time.

The Giants will compete with the Pats.

They have a great D-line led by Strahan and Umenyiora and because they get so much pressure from the D-line, they drop 6-7 in coverage more than not. That allows them to cover the plethora of Giants recievers and should allow them to contain the Patriots' bread and butter: the dump-off to the RB. If you watch the Patriots, you'll see most of their passes are shorter ones with tons of YAC. The Giants will have their LBs roaming and not blitzing so they should be able to cover to RB out of the backfield. If they tackle well, Brady will be forced to look downfield more, and will have to take more chances.

If that makes it easier for you to watch, please, continue to tell yourself that.  Its going to be a complete blowout. Brady will be in his element, Eli will wonder what the hell is going on here?  Its going to be just like the World Series.  Rockies vs. Red Sox.  That was a no contest and I predicted the Rockies first loss after their streak would lead to them not winning for the rest of the playoffs/Series.  It happened.

My prediction: lowest rated Super Bowl of the past few years, with Pats blowing out the Giants.  Eli chokes, Brady gets the glory, I vomit.

But that isn't going to keep me away from a day of buffalo wings and drink. ;)

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #44: January 21, 2008, 01:03:17 PM »
Why would it be the lowest rated? The ratings are going to be great. The first game between these 2 had great ratings and this is a chance for history that may never ever be repeated.

My bet is a lot. And I mean A LOT of people tune in.

« Reply #45: January 21, 2008, 01:47:42 PM »
Why would it be the lowest rated? The ratings are going to be great. The first game between these 2 had great ratings and this is a chance for history that may never ever be repeated.

My bet is a lot. And I mean A LOT of people tune in.

I guess if you like to watch fights between an alligator and a duckling, the ratings will be stupendous.  Otherwise, my money is on people not watching but still taking the day off anyway.  History "that may never be repeated?"  Little over dramatic don't you think?

If I was the NFL, I would of probably been praying for Green Bay to win.  The David and Goliath story would of been money.  Brett Farve, long time favorite to all football fans, in possibly his last chance for a championship trophy leads his team against an near (and at this point has been) unconquerable force.  Two terrific, not good, not great, terrific quarterbacks destined for legend for better or worse going against each other.  That is story, that is history, that is ratings.  Tom Brady vs. Eli Manning?  Eh.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #46: January 21, 2008, 01:58:37 PM »
I guess if you like to watch fights between an alligator and a duckling, the ratings will be stupendous.  Otherwise, my money is on people not watching but still taking the day off anyway.  History "that may never be repeated?"  Little over dramatic don't you think?

If I was the NFL, I would of probably been praying for Green Bay to win.  The David and Goliath story would of been money.  Brett Farve, long time favorite to all football fans, in possibly his last chance for a championship trophy leads his team against an near (and at this point has been) unconquerable force.  Two terrific, not good, not great, terrific quarterbacks destined for legend for better or worse going against each other.  That is story, that is history, that is ratings.  Tom Brady vs. Eli Manning?  Eh.
Everyone is sick of all of the Favre love/hype.  I'm glad the Packers lost.  In fact, Favre is one of the main reasons the Packers lost yesterday.  Eli Manning is playing great and will surely give the Pats a better challenge. 

MrMadison

« Reply #47: January 21, 2008, 02:05:33 PM »
sounds like someone is mad because they aren't going to get their dream Golden Boy Matchup. too bad Golden Boy Favre choked at crunchtime.

Keep on doubting the Giants. we've been given no chance all playoffs, and we've continually won.  so please,continue to assume the Giants will get run out of the building. it's all good.

but mark my words, We are going to give the Patriots a run for the money,even if we don't win.

« Reply #48: January 21, 2008, 02:07:06 PM »
Everyone is sick of all of the Favre love/hype.  I'm glad the Packers lost.  In fact, Favre is one of the main reasons the Packers lost yesterday.  Eli Manning is playing great and will surely give the Pats a better challenge. 

Are they?  I sure as heck haven't heard any backlash against him.  He goes out, plays his game, and doesn't do stupid crap like dogfight.  What more could you want in a quarterback?  All I ever hear about Eli is he isn't Peyton, choke, choke, whine, choke, he isn't Peyton.  He is going to be completely out of his element.  Pats and Brady are going to slaughter him.

But yes, I agree a good part of why the Packers lost was Farve and themselves.  But that doesn't take away from the fact that a Pats and Packers Super Bowl would of been money in the bank for the NFL.  A Hollywood director couldn't of planned a better storyline there. 

MrMadison

« Reply #49: January 21, 2008, 02:13:04 PM »
Are they?  I sure as heck haven't heard any backlash against him.  He goes out, plays his game, and doesn't do stupid crap like dogfight.  What more could you want in a quarterback?  All I ever hear about Eli is he isn't Peyton, choke, choke, whine, choke, he isn't Peyton.  He is going to be completely out of his element.  Pats and Brady are going to slaughter him.

Nobody is *ever* going to say anything bad about Golden Boy Favre. even when he CONTINUALLY throws costly interceptions at crunchtime(Most Interceptions in NFL history anyone?). Favre is apparently infallible.  I guarantee you if Tony Romo, or Eli Manning threw that interception everyone would have been ALL over them, and they would have been given the sole blame for their loss(in fact Romo was given the sole blame,even though he wasn't the reason they lost). But since it is Favre, throwing behind your reciever when you have ALL THE TIME IN THE WORLD to make an accurate throw, resulting in an interception that leads to your team missing the Super Bowl...is acceptable.

and as for your second point, that's not what I am hearing about Eli Manning during these playoffs. the tunes are changing.  Eli OUTPLAYED Brett Favre last night. In Favre's house, in Favre's Weather.  and still, neither Eli nor the Giants will be given any real credit for it.