Author Topic: Follow the Prospects: Erik Komatsu, OF  (Read 5866 times)

Offline CNU2007

Re: Follow the Prospects: Erik Komatsu
« Reply #25: May 01, 2012, 04:24:45 PM »
St Louis did.  Teams are going to view Rule V guys as the 25th guy on the roster, someone who is only going to get a few at-bats a week and be a defensive replacement. 

I get what you are saying but I'm pretty sure any team carrying a Rule V player on the major league roster would admit they have a better short term option in AAA but the only way to keep their rights is to have them on the 25 man roster all season, so they often try to hide them as the 25th guy as they generally aren't ready or their original team would put them on the 40 man roster. Guys like this don't get protected because the Nats gambled that nobody would add him as Komatsu is clearly not ready to be a major league contributor right now. Certainly a team such as the Astros with nothing to lose could claim him much like they did with Justin Maxwell as a long term investment, not a short term one. Just my 2 cents :D

Offline blue911

« Reply #26: May 01, 2012, 04:30:56 PM »
St Louis did.  Teams are going to view Rule V guys as the 25th guy on the roster, someone who is only going to get a few at-bats a week and be a defensive replacement.  Komatsu can play all three positions in the outfield, has good speed, and will be cheaper than veteran options.  I'm not saying he is definitely going to be claimed, just that there are a handful of teams that would most definitely be willing to carry him as a short term option.  With that said, my hope is he ends up back with this organization.

It was a good claim by the Cards. They knew Allen Craig was going to miss the beginning of the season before the Rule V draft so why A) pay a Vet a full season for a month's work or B) needlessly call up a prospect that would be better served playing in the minors.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #27: May 01, 2012, 05:55:00 PM »
It was a good claim by the Cards. They knew Allen Craig was going to miss the beginning of the season before the Rule V draft so why A) pay a Vet a full season for a month's work or B) needlessly call up a prospect that would be better served playing in the minors.

Right, my points exactly.  There are a few teams out there that suffered injuries in the OF in March + April that would be better served by taking a short term claim on Komatsu than calling up a guy not on there 40 man.

Offline CNU2007

« Reply #28: May 04, 2012, 02:42:04 PM »
Well he got claimed by the Twins so he isn't relevant to the Nats unless they cut him loose later this season.

Offline CNU2007

« Reply #29: May 27, 2012, 10:49:06 PM »
We can now hope he clears waivers this time and we can take him back.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #30: May 29, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
Nationals twitter

BREAKING: ‪#Nats‬ accept contract of OF Erik Komatsu, assigned outright per Rule 6 guidelines to @SyracuseChiefs, from @Twins

Welcome back, Kotter Kommie Erik!

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #31: May 29, 2012, 10:23:10 PM »
I think we'll see this guy in a Nats uniform before the year is done. He can at the very least match Nady's and Bernadina's production..

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #32: May 30, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »
Thing is, he is off the 40 man roster, so he will be competing with Jason Michaels, Xavier Paul, and Mark Teahen to get onto the roster.  If Tracy is really out for a couple months, then there is the 60 day DL and a potential roster spot.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #33: May 31, 2012, 09:28:04 PM »
I saw Komatsu once, and paid special attention to him since I'd driven to Harrisburg, but Harper had just pulled the hamstring. Norris was sitting, so there wasn't much else to watch but Komatsu (H'burg lost about 9 - 0, or so it felt). Komatsu was slower than I had expected. Didn't look like more than a .250 AA hitter. Not likely to be a handy as Corey Brown.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #34: April 23, 2013, 08:19:38 AM »
on the DL in Syracuse.  Yet to play an inning.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #35: April 27, 2013, 06:21:44 PM »
healthy in Harrisburg.  3 games, pedestrian start.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
Re: Follow the Prospects: Erik Komatsu, OF
« Reply #36: May 18, 2014, 05:14:21 PM »
Signed to a minor league contract by the Angels, wherever they are from.

Erik Komatsu signs minor-league deal with Angels
by Igor Mello | CBSSports.com
(05/12/14) The Angels have signed outfielder Erik Komatsu to a minor-league deal on Monday, according to a report from SB Nation. Komatsu was released by the Nationals on Friday after hitting just .188 in 48 at-bats in Triple-A.
Erik Komatsu released by Nationals
by Chris Cwik | CBSSports.com
(05/09/14) The Nationals have released outfielder Erik Komatsu Friday.

Komatsu had a tough time at Triple-A this season, hitting just .188 in 48 at-bats. He did not appear in the majors with the club.