Author Topic: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!  (Read 426306 times)

Offline houston-nat

Re: Welcome New Members, Introduce Yourself!
« Reply #750: March 26, 2009, 10:53:08 AM »
Anyway, being from New Orleans, I have a tendency to support losing teams. At least teams that aren't front runners.
Don't worry, the Cubs will lose too.  ;)

But it is true, we lose more, or at least plan to.  :D

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #751: March 26, 2009, 11:40:20 AM »
I lived in Connecticut for six years, the more I was there, the less I liked baseball, Red Sox, and Patriots fans.

;)

No offense taken.  I grew up on Cape Cod and I have always hated the Red Sox and their fans.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #752: March 26, 2009, 11:48:55 AM »
No offense taken.  I grew up on Cape Cod and I have always hated the Red Sox and their fans.

;)

Then you know exactly of what I mean.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #753: March 26, 2009, 01:13:05 PM »
;)

Then you know exactly of what I mean.

Entirely too much.  I went to therapy for it.  ;)

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #754: March 26, 2009, 01:17:59 PM »
Entirely too much.  I went to therapy for it.  ;)
I moved to Alabama ;)

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #755: March 26, 2009, 01:19:59 PM »
I moved to Alabama ;)

This is wierd.  Are you one of my inlaws?

We're heading down to visit them in Alabama.  Leaving in two weeks.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #756: March 26, 2009, 01:24:51 PM »
This is wierd.  Are you one of my inlaws?

We're heading down to visit them in Alabama.  Leaving in two weeks.
I doubt it. Originally from New Orleans, moved to CT back in 2002 for job and to avoid potential disasters. Then moved to Bama last year.

I am enjoying the lower cost of living, but I do like the DC area, but have never lived there. I wish that Grandma hadn't sold her property in Centreville.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #757: March 26, 2009, 01:32:44 PM »
New here.

Long story - I gave up on baseball back in 1993-94, whenever that stupid strike was. Then suddenly in early January of this year, I wanted baseball. I wanted it bad. Now I'll be up front, I'm a Cubs fan. Grew up in New Orleans watching the Cubs and Harry Caray on WGN in the 80's with Leon "Bull" Durham, Ryno, Shawon Dunston, Ron Cey, Keith Moreland, Sarge, Mel Hall, Bob Dernier, Jody Davis, Lee Smith, Sutcliffe and all the rest.

I also quit watching baseball after the strike, partly because I was pissed, partly because I was a kid and didn't understand what was going on.  I just watched whatever baseball came at me for years from afar.  In 2005, when the Nats came to D.C., I finally got back into baseball full force.  Hopefully the Nationals will give you something exciting to watch and they definitely fit your "loser" M.O.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #758: March 26, 2009, 03:56:27 PM »

I am enjoying the lower cost of living, but I do like the DC area, but have never lived there. I wish that Grandma hadn't sold her property in Centreville.

I wish she had too.  We could CarPool to Vienna Metro!

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #759: March 26, 2009, 04:11:56 PM »
I wish she had too.  We could CarPool to Vienna Metro!

Now Calsgr8, you know better than to hit on the new members like that.   :lol: 

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #760: March 26, 2009, 06:41:19 PM »
Hey, it isn't easy being "green"!  ;)

Offline DCFan

• What are you dense?
« Reply #761: March 26, 2009, 06:51:29 PM »
I wish that Grandma hadn't sold her property in Centreville.

She could probably buy it back for what she sold it for.  :rofl:

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #762: March 26, 2009, 07:21:52 PM »

Not funny my house was assessed and now its back to what it costs to buy it in 1994!

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #763: March 26, 2009, 11:52:56 PM »

I don't think so, it was 1,000 acres and she sold it in 1927 for $81,000. Dulles Airport takes up about 600 acres of it.

:(

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #764: March 27, 2009, 07:54:01 AM »
I don't think so, it was 1,000 acres and she sold it in 1927 for $81,000. Dulles Airport takes up about 600 acres of it.

:(

haha, very good.  If it's the south end of the airport property, towards Centreville, it's in the vicinity of the Air and Space annex, and they've been finding Native American artifacts in decent quantities around there.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #765: March 27, 2009, 12:15:21 PM »
haha, very good.  If it's the south end of the airport property, towards Centreville, it's in the vicinity of the Air and Space annex, and they've been finding Native American artifacts in decent quantities around there.

Do you know where Walney Plantation is/was? Not much is left, but there is a national park where our family plantation was.

They have some very nice houses and condos in the area circling the park. Guessing homes were going for $600K or more. When we drove through there a couple of years ago I could feel the money leaving my family chest. It actually hurt.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #766: March 27, 2009, 12:26:18 PM »
Do you know where Walney Plantation is/was? Not much is left, but there is a national park where our family plantation was.

Part or the Machen family?  Or residents on their property?  I was a history major and did extensive research on the area immediately surrounding my old childhood home.  Walney was a decent sized plot with a fair amount of importance to the area.

As for the native american artifacts that were found by Dulles.  That area was supposedly surveyed before the airport was built and they reported finding some traces of N.A. artifacts then, but it was suppressed to speed up the building process.  I saw the original documents/findings and it was obvious they found something.  Now they are discovering all types of cool stuff in the area by the Udvar-Hazey center.  Alas, that is a huge problem in the noVA area.  Historic sites were quickly skimmed over/improperly documented to quicken the development of the suburban developments.  It is quite sad actually and who knows how much history we lost in the process.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #767: March 27, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »
Part or the Machen family?  Or residents on their property?  I was a history major and did extensive research on the area immediately surrounding my old childhood home.  Walney was a decent sized plot with a fair amount of importance to the area.

As for the native american artifacts that were found by Dulles.  That area was supposedly surveyed before the airport was built and they reported finding some traces of N.A. artifacts then, but it was suppressed to speed up the building process.  I saw the original documents/findings and it was obvious they found something.  Now they are discovering all types of cool stuff in the area by the Udvar-Hazey center.  Alas, that is a huge problem in the noVA area.  Historic sites were quickly skimmed over/improperly documented to quicken the development of the suburban developments.  It is quite sad actually and who knows how much history we lost in the process.

Yep. Grandma was a Machen.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #768: March 27, 2009, 12:31:42 PM »
Yep. Grandma was a Machen.

Very interesting

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #769: March 27, 2009, 12:45:43 PM »

They have some very nice houses and condos in the area circling the park. Guessing homes were going for $600K or more. When we drove through there a couple of years ago I could feel the money leaving my family chest. It actually hurt.

Sure, the Walney visitor center is located on the grounds of the Ellanor C. Lawrence Park, a Fairfax County park facility.  I have visited the park many times with my kids over the year, and worked very close by for 4 years. 

http://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/parks/ecl/walney.htm

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #770: March 27, 2009, 12:48:20 PM »
  Alas, that is a huge problem in the noVA area.  Historic sites were quickly skimmed over/improperly documented to quicken the development of the suburban developments.  It is quite sad actually and who knows how much history we lost in the process.

I have a friend and neighbor (about 1 mile away) who has his back yard all torn up, as it turns out his 3/4 acre property was a campsite for Union soldiers during the Civil War, and by coincidence he's a major league collector and finder (ie metal detectors) of such trinkets.  He's like a kid in a candy store.  But they had to be turning up all kinds of stuff when they built his house.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #772: March 27, 2009, 01:09:40 PM »
I have a friend and neighbor (about 1 mile away) who has his back yard all torn up, as it turns out his 3/4 acre property was a campsite for Union soldiers during the Civil War, and by coincidence he's a major league collector and finder (ie metal detectors) of such trinkets.  He's like a kid in a candy store.  But they had to be turning up all kinds of stuff when they built his house.

The history of this area during the Civil War presents an interesting dilemma.  Much of northern Virginia was scarcely occupied at the time and those that did live here left the area when the Union soldiers took over the territory.  So, many accounts of the war in places like Sully, Herndon/Frying Pan, Ox Hill/Chantilly, Vienna, Sterling, etc., are reliant on the writings of the individual soldiers participating in the battles.  Unlike other parts of the war, though, much of the warfare in noVA was guerilla style and therefore was left blank in the pages of the soldiers that participated.  I believe it was only a few years ago that a local scholar (Charles Mauro) pointed out the importance of the battle of Chantilly/Ox Hill, which had been virtually neglected until then.  Through my own research, I was able to highlight the importance of the old Frying  Pan Meetinghouse/Primitive Baptist Church to the Confederacy/Union troops during the war.  Surprisingly, for all the Civil War history in VA, northern Virginia is largely overlooked.

Offline I can Throw

« Reply #773: March 27, 2009, 01:34:57 PM »
You guys are making me "homesick" for the area. Never lived in NoVA, but have always loved that area.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #774: March 27, 2009, 04:19:37 PM »
I believe it was only a few years ago that a local scholar (Charles Mauro) pointed out the importance of the battle of Chantilly/Ox Hill, which had been virtually neglected until then.

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-War-Fairfax-County-Civilians/dp/1596291486

This is on my "to read" list.