Author Topic: Nationals vs Orioles Interleague Series  (Read 17961 times)

Offline monkeyhit

Re: Nationals vs Orioles Interleague Series
« Reply #200: July 10, 2014, 05:58:02 PM »
Buck is right too. Zimmerman walked on five strikes.

Offline PC

« Reply #201: July 10, 2014, 06:01:52 PM »
Buck is right too. Zimmerman walked on five strikes.

I looked at the Zimmerman at bat too and the pitches were much closer to being balls than those pitches were to being strikes with Span...though they were clearly strikes to Zimmerman.

Look at that Span at bat.  Nothing compares to that.  He could have been calling balls and strikes with his eyes closed and not been much more off.

Offline Baseball is Life

• Proud member of the Sunshine Squad.
« Reply #202: July 10, 2014, 06:04:45 PM »
E-Strikes now!

Within five years, there will be electronic balls and strikes in MLB.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #203: July 10, 2014, 06:11:18 PM »
E-Strikes now!

Within five years, there will be electronic balls and strikes in MLB.

I've wanted this for years

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #204: July 10, 2014, 06:14:17 PM »
I've wanted this for years

The enhanced replay system for this year was just the beginning.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #205: July 11, 2014, 01:29:16 PM »
It was the Best of Times; It was the Worst of times (My apologies to Charles Dickens). In other words, my trip to Baltimore to see the NATS play the Orioles at Camden Yards.  Sit back, relax, this may take a while to read.

My friend Kathe and I see the Nats and Orioles play each other every year; one at Nats Park and one at Camden Yards.  For the game at Camden Yards, we got tickets from a season ticket holder.  This came with certain privileges: 

•   Early entry into Camden Yards.
•   Getting to see Batting Practice, not just from the outfield but from the seats closest to the dugouts.  They kind of restrict where you go after you get in.  You can’t walk around the concourse until the rest of the gates open. However, you can walk around the lower bowl.  So we parked ourselves behind the visitor’s dug out.  That’s where the “Best of Times” starts.

I have to digress with a little background before telling about a thrilling moment.  Awhile back, I was on Twitter.  I’m not on there a lot.  Being a Nats fan I “follow” many of the Nats players who tweet there.  Well I saw a comment by Ian Desmond that he was trying to give up Chewing Tobacco.  This was before Tony Gwynn’s death.  He said he was taking it day by day.  Being a huge fan of his, I went to Amazon.com and sent him a 12 pack of Big League Chew.  I told him to share it with his teammates to have instead of tobacco.  For those not familiar with the product; it’s shredded bubblegum in pouch.  Simulates a pouch of tobacco but it’s gum.  After I sent it to him, I tweeted him to make sure he got it.  He sent me a picture of the package with his appreciation and thanks.  Later when Stras said he was quitting, I sent him some too.  I told Ian I had sent some to Stras.

Ok, background over.  So I was taking pics of various Nats and reporters.  Yelling out their names.  Saying hello (Jayson, Bryce, Lobaton, Ramos, Adam, Detwiler, Boswell, FP, Charlie and Dave).  Taking pics with my cell.  Having a great time!  Ian came by.  Ian talks to his fans before going into the dugout.  I yelled, “Hey Ian, Need any more Big League Chew?!”  He said “No, we got a good stock of it now.  Was that you?” “Yes” I replied.  He looked me in the eye and yelled “HEY”.  I said yes?  He threw me his batting gloves and said “I really appreciate it, Thanks!”  I’m in shock and cloud infinity!  They are new too.  You can still smell the leather!   

Ok, my day is made.  No matter what happens over the next few hours, my DAY IS MADE!

Got some dinner and went to our seats.  I was at the end of row 8!  Could I have a better number for a row in Camden Yards?  Those who don’t understand that statement; well I feel sorry for you.  Anyhow, I was in seat 1 of section 342.  I was yelling for the NATS.  Those who know me know I am loud!  I look to my right, and the usher has a small spray bottle with water in it.  He grins and says he’ll squirt me with it. I grin back and say, go right ahead, it’s hot out here.  Both of us laughed.  Later he asked if it was my first time in the park.  I said no.  He handed me a baseball card and asked me to pass it to the kid in our row, which I did.  All game long I’m yelling for O’s to strike out.  He says “smile when you say that”.  I said, “I always smile”.  Next thing I know he hands me a Ryan Zimmerman Card.  Such a nice man.  I told him that was the best treatment I’ve received by an usher in an opposing team’s park.  I got his card.  I will give him a good review to his superiors.

Worst of times were not scoring with the bases loaded and a close loss.
As for me, the best far outweighed the Worst.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #206: July 11, 2014, 02:01:41 PM »
It was the Best of Times; It was the Worst of times (My apologies to Charles Dickens). In other words, my trip to Baltimore to see the NATS play the Orioles at Camden Yards.  Sit back, relax, this may take a while to read.

My friend Kathe and I see the Nats and Orioles play each other every year; one at Nats Park and one at Camden Yards.  For the game at Camden Yards, we got tickets from a season ticket holder.  This came with certain privileges: 

•   Early entry into Camden Yards.
•   Getting to see Batting Practice, not just from the outfield but from the seats closest to the dugouts.  They kind of restrict where you go after you get in.  You can’t walk around the concourse until the rest of the gates open. However, you can walk around the lower bowl.  So we parked ourselves behind the visitor’s dug out.  That’s where the “Best of Times” starts.

I have to digress with a little background before telling about a thrilling moment.  Awhile back, I was on Twitter.  I’m not on there a lot.  Being a Nats fan I “follow” many of the Nats players who tweet there.  Well I saw a comment by Ian Desmond that he was trying to give up Chewing Tobacco.  This was before Tony Gwynn’s death.  He said he was taking it day by day.  Being a huge fan of his, I went to Amazon.com and sent him a 12 pack of Big League Chew.  I told him to share it with his teammates to have instead of tobacco.  For those not familiar with the product; it’s shredded bubblegum in pouch.  Simulates a pouch of tobacco but it’s gum.  After I sent it to him, I tweeted him to make sure he got it.  He sent me a picture of the package with his appreciation and thanks.  Later when Stras said he was quitting, I sent him some too.  I told Ian I had sent some to Stras.

Ok, background over.  So I was taking pics of various Nats and reporters.  Yelling out their names.  Saying hello (Jayson, Bryce, Lobaton, Ramos, Adam, Detwiler, Boswell, FP, Charlie and Dave).  Taking pics with my cell.  Having a great time!  Ian came by.  Ian talks to his fans before going into the dugout.  I yelled, “Hey Ian, Need any more Big League Chew?!”  He said “No, we got a good stock of it now.  Was that you?” “Yes” I replied.  He looked me in the eye and yelled “HEY”.  I said yes?  He threw me his batting gloves and said “I really appreciate it, Thanks!”  I’m in shock and cloud infinity!  They are new too.  You can still smell the leather!   

Ok, my day is made.  No matter what happens over the next few hours, my DAY IS MADE!

Got some dinner and went to our seats.  I was at the end of row 8!  Could I have a better number for a row in Camden Yards?  Those who don’t understand that statement; well I feel sorry for you.  Anyhow, I was in seat 1 of section 342.  I was yelling for the NATS.  Those who know me know I am loud!  I look to my right, and the usher has a small spray bottle with water in it.  He grins and says he’ll squirt me with it. I grin back and say, go right ahead, it’s hot out here.  Both of us laughed.  Later he asked if it was my first time in the park.  I said no.  He handed me a baseball card and asked me to pass it to the kid in our row, which I did.  All game long I’m yelling for O’s to strike out.  He says “smile when you say that”.  I said, “I always smile”.  Next thing I know he hands me a Ryan Zimmerman Card.  Such a nice man.  I told him that was the best treatment I’ve received by an usher in an opposing team’s park.  I got his card.  I will give him a good review to his superiors.

Worst of times were not scoring with the bases loaded and a close loss.
As for me, the best far outweighed the Worst.

Coladar hacked CALSGR8.     :poke:

I always tell my boy that life is about who has the best stories to tell.    Thanks CAL.    Nice article/story.   

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #207: July 11, 2014, 02:08:29 PM »
Coladar hacked CALSGR8.     :poke:

:lmao:

All jokes aside, Coladar hasn't been around in a minute. If you get to read this Coladar I hope everything is all right with you and you return to post on the forum. But of course when you do post again be ready for the automatic response of "tl;dr:lol:

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #208: July 11, 2014, 02:12:03 PM »
Sounds like a great time. Just out of curiosity, how does one just send things to baseball players? Do you just send it to Nats park and address it to them?

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #209: July 11, 2014, 02:14:50 PM »
Sounds like a great time. Just out of curiosity, how does one just send things to baseball players? Do you just send it to Nats park and address it to them?

Yes, I put the players name and the address of NATS PARK.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #210: July 11, 2014, 02:16:39 PM »
:lmao:

All jokes aside, Coladar hasn't been around in a minute. If you get to read this Coladar I hope everything is all right with you and you return to post on the forum. But of course when you do post again be ready for the automatic response of "tl;dr:lol:

I second the sentiment.    To use another    :poke:   ....   two sentence max.   

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #211: July 11, 2014, 02:40:51 PM »
S/he is probably in a North Korean gulag. 

And yes, +1 Cal

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #212: July 11, 2014, 03:01:10 PM »
what a nightmare of a season

Offline CALSGR8

« Reply #213: July 11, 2014, 03:16:12 PM »
Thanks guys

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
« Reply #214: July 11, 2014, 03:37:17 PM »

lolol

Offline Mathguy

• Floyd - Truely Man's best Friend
    • Outer Banks Beach House
« Reply #215: July 11, 2014, 04:46:11 PM »
What nightmare are you referring to ?

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #216: July 11, 2014, 04:51:31 PM »
Anyone catch the Baltimore MASN team going apecrap over Werth in the 9th?

Offline mitlen

« Reply #217: July 11, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
Anyone catch the Baltimore MASN team going apecrap over Werth in the 9th?

At least Werth didn't throw a bat at the third baseman.    :)       Seriously, what was their beef (didn't see it)?

Offline Ray D

« Reply #218: July 11, 2014, 05:01:26 PM »
Werth hit a foul ball off his foot, was apparently in alot of pain, and stepped out of the batters box for quite a while until the umpire told him he was taking too long. Werth and the umpire got into a bit of an argument.  The Orioles MASN team thought he was trying to distract the pitcher.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #219: July 11, 2014, 05:03:09 PM »
Werth hit a foul ball off his foot, was apparently in alot of pain, and stepped out of the batters box for quite a while until the umpire told him he was taking too long. Werth and the umpire got into a bit of an argument.  The Orioles MASN team thought he was trying to distract the pitcher.

Saw it on our MASN   ....   So, their announcer got into the act too?

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #220: July 11, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
He probably was trying to distract the pitcher.  :shrug:

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #221: July 11, 2014, 05:07:12 PM »
I thought someone here posted that one of the birds announcers was ripping the fans for booing?

Edit: nevermind, it was Jageler ripping the fans.

Offline cowpunk

• schadenfreude
« Reply #222: July 11, 2014, 05:14:06 PM »
Buck's lips said "get back in the f'ing box", what a tool

Offline Ray D

« Reply #223: July 11, 2014, 05:16:05 PM »
He probably was trying to distract the pitcher.  :shrug:
I'd like to think that, and if so, good for him.   But I really think he was just in alot of pain.

Offline Baseball is Life

« Reply #224: July 11, 2014, 05:17:09 PM »
What ever happened to the courtesy of allowing a batter, catcher, or umpire a bit of time when they get hit.

Williams should have kicked Showalter's ass. I know FRobby would have. Just ask Scioscia.