Author Topic: Nationals Games & Metro  (Read 4334 times)

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
Re: Nationals Games & Metro
« Reply #50: August 24, 2012, 05:03:09 PM »
I don't have a choice either since I have to drink 72oz of beer at the game

In my case...that too.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
« Reply #51: August 24, 2012, 05:44:13 PM »

A man gotta have his standards.

Offline LostYudite

• Naaaa'aah-titude
« Reply #52: August 24, 2012, 05:46:06 PM »
...  or NYC ...  or London  ...  or Moscow   ...  or Paris?    What the hell do you think this is?   The capital?

London Underground shuts down at night.  They do run "night buses" to certain parts of town.  Ah, drunken rides on night buses where you're not really 100% sure you're actually going to the part of the town where you live - good times.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #53: August 24, 2012, 06:00:01 PM »
London Underground shuts down at night.  They do run "night buses" to certain parts of town.  Ah, drunken rides on night buses where you're not really 100% sure you're actually going to the part of the town where you live - good times.

I've been on the tube.   They shut down at 11:30 PM?    Maybe I took a cab or something ... too many pints I guess.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #54: August 24, 2012, 10:54:02 PM »
Unless there are Henkels overhead
I've been on the tube.   They shut down at 11:30 PM?

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #55: August 25, 2012, 07:49:41 AM »

Historically they've also run all-night trains on New Year's Eve.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #56: August 25, 2012, 09:23:11 AM »
Historically they've also run all-night trains on New Year's Eve.

Wonder what they did during the Olympics.

Offline blue911

« Reply #57: August 25, 2012, 09:25:27 AM »
Wonder what they did during the Olympics.

[MittRomney] freaked it all up [/MittRomney]

Offline mitlen

« Reply #58: August 25, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »
[MittRomney] freaked it all up [/MittRomney]

He pissed 'em off, didn't he?    Mitt kept Salt Lake City's subway running 24 hours a day during his Winter Olympics.   :roll:

Offline blue911

« Reply #59: August 25, 2012, 09:42:19 AM »
He pissed 'em off, didn't he?    Mitt kept Salt Lake City's subway running 24 hours a day during his Winter Olympics.   :roll:

He did do a good job of getting the SLOC past the corruption scandal.

Offline mitlen

« Reply #60: August 25, 2012, 09:59:25 AM »
He did do a good job of getting the SLOC past the corruption scandal.

Corruption in Utah?   Pshaw  :)

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #61: August 25, 2012, 10:16:02 AM »

Just don't lose it all in the car I'm in!  ;)   :spaz:

Offline eddiejc1

• http://www.femfour.com
« Reply #62: August 25, 2012, 01:13:54 PM »
Regardless of whether the Nats go all the way or not, Metro needs a major overhaul. This city needs a good mass transit
system, and it shouldn't have to rely on Larry, Moe, and Curly (think D.C., MD, VA, and the Feds) arguing over who should
pick up the bill.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #63: August 25, 2012, 05:46:38 PM »
Metro is one of the best mass transit systems in the country -  it has dense coverage downtown and stretches to outer suburbs in multiple states and counties - show me another subway system that does the same

Offline Clever

« Reply #64: August 25, 2012, 08:51:39 PM »
Metro is one of the best mass transit systems in the country -  it has dense coverage downtown and stretches to outer suburbs in multiple states and counties - show me another subway system that does the same
The commuter service of New York and Chicago is far superior to that of Washington, and when coupled with their subway system, provides better coverage to their metropolitan areas.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
« Reply #65: August 25, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »
The commuter service of New York and Chicago is far superior to that of Washington, and when coupled with their subway system, provides better coverage to their metropolitan areas.

Chicago and NY are vastly larger cities.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #66: August 25, 2012, 09:55:52 PM »

just no - SEPTA goes into New Jersey, NJ Transit goes into Penn Station, the San Diego Trolley goes to fricking Mexico
http://subwaynut.com/california/san_diego_trolley/san_ysidro/

Offline Gleason2

« Reply #67: August 25, 2012, 10:08:41 PM »

You've got to be kidding.  Metro is a bad joke.  I would rather walk, weather permitting, than ride the Metro.

Offline Clever

« Reply #68: August 25, 2012, 10:13:31 PM »
The last time I took a train to the game, some fat O's fan nearly made a kid fall on to the platform at Columbia Heights. I was extremely grateful at that moment to be sitting in my own seat.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #69: August 25, 2012, 10:13:54 PM »
Metro was about ten years late. They talked about it when I was a kid, along with the Wilson Bridge and the Cabin John Bridge, and the Beltway. Finished the Beltway first, in '65 or '66, which encouraged commuting around downtown to the point that the whole area now seems choked on cars.

Should extend the lines and run more trains, rather than pour concrete for an outer beltway...the big idea to connect I66 from roughly Manassas to I270 somewhere between Gaithersburg and Frederick. Or that road from Shady Grove around to I95. (At least that's what I understood they were planning...stopped paying close attention when my company "invited" me to take early retirement at the end of 2010)

Offline Clever

« Reply #70: August 25, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »
Good lord. I recall reading that Metro would be extending to Greenbelt in 1986. By the time it finally came 7 years after that, I was living in Wisconsin.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #71: August 25, 2012, 10:26:10 PM »
Good lord. I recall reading that Metro would be extending to Greenbelt in 1986. By the time it finally came 7 years after that, I was living in Wisconsin.

Last time in DC, I showed my daughter the stop nearest where we lived when I was little -- Ft Totten -- and where we moved when I was seven -- Ager Road/W Hyattsville. Her comment: "You didn't move very far, Dad".

That Green Line was slow to arrive. So many years...just a dotted line on the Metro map.

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #72: August 25, 2012, 10:26:51 PM »
Last time in DC, I showed my daughter the stop nearest where we lived when I was little -- Ft Totten -- and where we moved when I was seven -- Ager Road/W Hyattsville. Her comment: "You didn't move very far, Dad".

That Green Line was slow to arrive. So many years...just a dotted line on the Metro map.

The middle part refused to undot, too.

Offline Dave B

« Reply #73: August 26, 2012, 02:24:01 AM »
Metro may or may not suck depending on your expectations, but this rush plus has exposed its limitations. Adding a couple more.yellow line trains doesn't help much. the tunnels are only so long and the trains can only get so close

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #74: August 26, 2012, 07:33:32 AM »
just no - SEPTA goes into New Jersey, NJ Transit goes into Penn Station, the San Diego Trolley goes to fricking Mexico
http://subwaynut.com/california/san_diego_trolley/san_ysidro/

NJ transit is commuter rail- you might as well throw in amtrak