Author Topic: Nats close to deal with WJFK 106.7 FM  (Read 11175 times)

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
Re: Nats close to deal with WJFK 106.7 FM
« Reply #50: February 25, 2011, 02:33:04 PM »
And just so you'll know, I get MLB radio on my Android phone, so in a pinch, I have a pretty reliable way to listen. It's fine when I go walking/running at night. I'm not a complete dinosaur. This year I hope to get Bluetooth headphones so I don't have to plug in and piss myself off when I yank the cord out of the phone.

I picked up WTOP (1500) while camping the year before I purchased XM so it's a very strong signal coming up the I-95 corridor.

I do recall riding around in a car with my father trying to pick up Yankee broadcasts out of New York on an old AM signal and every time the signal cut out he'd mess with the dial *ever so slightly* trying to get the signal back and cussing like a sailor when it would happen at a crucial time in the game.  

Great memories.

And I agree radio broadcasts of ball games should be free but I'm never giving up my XM subscription.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #51: February 25, 2011, 02:38:59 PM »
I never thought I could either because my wife is as cheap as they come.   :hammondsnats bat signal:   I went ahead and bought it with a bonus check I got from a travel reimbursement one time and she used my radio on the back patio while relaxing and after an hour of surfing around and finding stations she loved she realized she needed her own.  So that same year I bought one of her own and now she listens every day.

mlb.tv is already a lot for her to stomach, so I'm not going to push it

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #52: February 25, 2011, 03:21:19 PM »

If you've got a high-end laptop, a wireless router, a patio and a full fridge then there's no need for XM radio.  :D

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #53: February 25, 2011, 06:57:42 PM »
Do you have a smart phone?  $15 for the MLB app gets you streaming audio, home or away (and sometimes more) feeds for every game.  MLB.tv itself includes the audio streaming on a PC/Mac, and it's not subject to  black outs like the video is, you can listen live.  It does kind of blow that you have to buy the app even if you have MLB.tv.  I don't know if I'll buy the tv this year or not, but I'll definitely be getting the iPhone app.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #54: February 25, 2011, 07:11:15 PM »
I like the video via my roku, plus you get the audio too.

Offline Nathan

« Reply #55: February 25, 2011, 07:12:40 PM »
MLB.tv also works with the PS3.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #56: February 25, 2011, 07:16:12 PM »
I still haven't upgraded past my ps2

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #57: February 25, 2011, 07:17:25 PM »
the downside of XM is that they only air home team broadcasts, so no Slowes/Jageler for road games.

Ouch, did not know that.

I hope they figure out the FM thing.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #58: February 25, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »
Used to listen to WTOP on 1500 AM at night in Boston. 

Now I listen to WBZ 1030 AM at night in Crystal City (or at least I used to until both Brudnoy and Sullivan passed away).

Offline OldChelsea

• Nats Supporter in Exile
« Reply #59: February 26, 2011, 07:20:32 AM »
the downside of XM is that they only air home team broadcasts, so no Slowes/Jageler for road games. [emphasis added]

...deal-killer, as far as I'm concerned.

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #60: February 26, 2011, 09:24:02 AM »
Is their deal still in place with WFED if they whiff on 106.7? Honestly not being on a sports radio station (as opposed to federal news radio) is such a huge fail on the team's part. As the NHL can attest with its coverage (or lack of) on ESPN, if a station carries your games, they have an incentive to promote interest in you, if not, they feel free to ignore you. Getting on 106.7, especially if there is a lockout and no signings or training camp to report on, would give the station every reason to push Nats coverage and, god forbid, have a baseball centric show.

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #61: February 26, 2011, 09:59:34 AM »
I too like $15 app.  Its available now according to my cousin.  AT BAT 2011, I think.  If you keep score you can get play by play and pitch by pitch.

Of course MLB wants its money.   If you get MLBTV in addition to the At Bat app, there are some features that work in tandem.

Offline PebbleBall

• Now that right there is baseball.
« Reply #62: February 26, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
Having paid for XM, MLB.tv, and MLB gameday audio at various points in the past, I'd say that for me XM wins in a landslide.  It's one of those things that you have no idea how much you'd use it or like it until you have it. 

Offline Nathan

« Reply #63: February 26, 2011, 02:24:04 PM »
I too like $15 app.  Its available now according to my cousin.  AT BAT 2011, I think.  If you keep score you can get play by play and pitch by pitch.

Of course MLB wants its money.   If you get MLBTV in addition to the At Bat app, there are some features that work in tandem.
It sure is, thanks for the heads up.  Just bought it on my iPhone, I'll be listening to baseball tonight at work!

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #64: February 26, 2011, 03:50:14 PM »
I just can't listen to the home announcers during road games.

I like At Bat for my Android a lot. I get to listen to the home announcers.  Since I have the data plan anyway...

I'd still prefer a strong FM signal and a small, portable radio. Maybe they will put the Nats game on one of the HD radio channels. Those little $50 Insignia (Best Buy brand) portable HD radios work pretty well. We have one that my wife uses for classical music at work.

Having paid for XM, MLB.tv, and MLB gameday audio at various points in the past, I'd say that for me XM wins in a landslide.  It's one of those things that you have no idea how much you'd use it or like it until you have it. 

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #65: February 26, 2011, 06:23:26 PM »
I like having XM not just to ensure access to all games, but for the primary MLB network channel. With the horrible local sports media, having actual baseball talk and news all day (coupled with the MLB network on TV which is so superior to ESPN) is nice to have. XM also has plenty of other channels I listen to regularly, so the baseball is a bonus.

BTW, I was listening to FP Santangelo this afternoon on the show he was doing with Jeff Joyce. I look forward to this season's broadcasts. I think he is going to be great if today's show was any indication.

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #66: February 26, 2011, 06:40:40 PM »
I like having XM not just to ensure access to all games, but for the primary MLB network channel. With the horrible local sports media, having actual baseball talk and news all day (coupled with the MLB network on TV which is so superior to ESPN) is nice to have. XM also has plenty of other channels I listen to regularly, so the baseball is a bonus.

+1

MLB Network Radio is the shiz-nit.  I actually don't find myself listening to the morning program as much anymore.  Dibble and Memolo just don't have the chemistry of Buck and "The Big Chair."  But Inside Pitch usually has Jeff Joyce who I like quite a bit.

Offline shoeshineboy

• Walks Kill!! Walks Kill! Walks Kill!!!!
« Reply #67: February 26, 2011, 06:42:39 PM »
+1

MLB Network Radio is the shiz-nit.  I actually don't find myself listening to the morning program as much anymore.  Dibble and Memolo just don't have the chemistry of Buck and "The Big Chair."  But Inside Pitch usually has Jeff Joyce who I like quite a bit.

I also enjoy getting the simulcast of the MLB network broadcasts (i.e. Hotstove) on the drive home from work.

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #68: February 26, 2011, 06:54:53 PM »
107.7 FM HD1 will carry the Nats games. I'll let you know how the signal is when they broadcast a (Spring, hopefully) game.

I just can't listen to the home announcers during road games.

I like At Bat for my Android a lot. I get to listen to the home announcers.  Since I have the data plan anyway...

I'd still prefer a strong FM signal and a small, portable radio. Maybe they will put the Nats game on one of the HD radio channels. Those little $50 Insignia (Best Buy brand) portable HD radios work pretty well. We have one that my wife uses for classical music at work.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #69: February 26, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »
i'm going to get the MLB AB app for Droid.  it sounds awesome.

and boy do i miss my xm radio. 

maybe we should merge this thread and PA's mlb audio thread?

Offline GburgNatsFan

« Reply #70: February 26, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »
It's not bad. Don't judge the regular season on the pre-season broadcast. For whatever reason, the broadcast quality gets better in the regular season. At least it did last year, and some of the reviews from the previous year (2009) contained that caution, so there is history.
i'm going to get the MLB AB app for Droid.  it sounds awesome.

and boy do i miss my xm radio. 

maybe we should merge this thread and PA's mlb audio thread?

Offline Minty Fresh

• BOOM!
« Reply #71: February 27, 2011, 08:40:14 AM »
For those with smart phones AND XM radio - can you listen to games on your phone using the Sirius/XM app?  Might be worth looking into for those with XM...

Offline machpost

« Reply #72: February 28, 2011, 08:20:38 AM »
For those with smart phones AND XM radio - can you listen to games on your phone using the Sirius/XM app?  Might be worth looking into for those with XM...

Unfortunately, no. You'd need the MLB At Bat app to listen to the games on your phone.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #73: February 28, 2011, 08:32:39 AM »
Front of wjfk.com says they are the new flagship station. So, I guess the deal went through.

Offline machpost

« Reply #74: February 28, 2011, 08:33:15 AM »
Front of wjfk.com says they are the new flagship station. So, I guess the deal went through.

Yep, great news! http://washington.cbslocal.com/2011/02/28/106-7-the-fan-new-flagship-for-washington-nationals/