Author Topic: Josh Hamilton Meeting with MLB - Angels Expect Penalties  (Read 3256 times)

Offline wj73

I wondered how long it might take for something like this to happen. I was surprised whe the Angels took the chance of signing him. You hope it's not drugs but given his history that's the first thing that popped into my mind.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/sportsnow/la-sp-sn-josh-hamilton-20150224-story.html

Online varoadking

• King of Goodness

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Man, when your bender begins with "at least cocaine" that's a helluva time

Online HalfSmokes

Apparently he turned himself in and wasn't caught. It at least it seems like he's trying to get his life together

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
I was more afraid of the injury painkillers injury painkillers addiction.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
I was more afraid of the injury painkillers injury painkillers addiction.

Sounds like double trouble.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I hope he isn't suspended. Addiction is an illness.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I hope he isn't suspended. Addiction is an illness.

Give me a flippin' break, I can't stand this excuse.  It's not f'ing cancer or diabetes, is he predisposed to addictive tendencies because of genetics or something? Maybe, but he chooses to go off the rails every now and then same as any other drug addict who relapses.  If any of us with "real" jobs fail a drug test we're fired end of story.  I hope he gets back on the wagon same as I do for relatives of mine who are addicts and slip up but I'm totally over the "don't blame the addict blame the disease" nonsense.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Give me a flippin' break, I can't stand this excuse.  It's not f'ing cancer or diabetes, is he predisposed to addictive tendencies because of genetics or something? Maybe, but he chooses to go off the rails every now and then same as any other drug addict who relapses.  If any of us with "real" jobs fail a drug test we're fired end of story.  I hope he gets back on the wagon same as I do for relatives of mine who are addicts and slip up but I'm totally over the "don't blame the addict blame the disease" nonsense.

I had a similar discussion with my buddy about mental illness.   He thinks you can beat it if you try.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
I had a similar discussion with my buddy about mental illness.   He thinks you can beat it if you try.

IMO completely different. I know what addiction is it's a constant struggle and sometimes people just don't want to fight it anymore, not even close to someone whose mind is not right, at least to me. 

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I just don't see how giving an addict even more unstructured time is a good thing.

Offline blue911

Drug and Alcohol addiction are classified as a disease. Hamilton needs a trained professional as part of his aftercare program. Prayer groups and bible study are a terrible way to treat a disease.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
His mentor says he should he give up baseball and just focus on getting well at this point. 

Josh Hamilton RF | LAA
Hamilton's mentor, friend: 'His baseball career should be over'
by Igor Mello | CBSSports.com
(February 26, 2015 3:10 PM EST) Roy Silver, a friend and mentor responsible for helping Josh Hamilton get his career back on track after the embattled Angels outfielder missed the 2002-2006 seasons while recovering from drug addiction, suggested that Hamilton should call it a career to focus on getting his life in order.

"His life isn't over, but his baseball career should be," Silver said in a phone interview with Bob Nightengale of USA Today.

Hamilton met with MLB officials on Wednesday and confessed to going on a binge that involved cocaine and alcohol a couple of months ago. At this point, it's uncertain if Hamilton has failed a drug test.

"I'm not shocked or surprised,'' Silver said. "People don't understand that this hasn't been easy for him. I knew something was not right for the last couple of months. The fact that he's turning himself in is a sign that he got tired of the same old spin cycle. He's trying to get well.

"He needs to get down and dirty with himself.''

Although his previous issues occurred in the minors, it's unlikely that Hamilton will be treated strictly as a first-time offender for his relapse. First-time offenders in the MLB are put into a program and subject to increase testing. Hamilton, however, is already tested three times per week.

At this point, the Angels are unsure what to expect from Hamilton, who is due $25.4 million this season, and $32.4 million in 2016 and 2017.

"We're going to take one step at a time," manager Mike Scioscia said. "There is no sense in getting too far out in front because information is still evolving."

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.

Cancer and diabetes can both be caused by factors within your control.

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!

Good point, of course if you get cancer you can't will yourself better, an addict can and the strong ones do.  I just think classifying addiction as a disease that people are powerless against is a mistake but that's clearly just my point of view so I'll not say any more other than I wish Hamilton well and hope he finds the strength he needs to stay clean.

Online Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Actually,  for addiction, you are never better. You are simply in remission

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
Very true. If you ever hear an addict say "I used to be an addict" you know they're in trouble.

Offline mitlen

• We had 'em all the way.
Very true. If you ever hear an addict say "I used to be an addict" you know they're in trouble.

Yep

Offline skippy1999

• Believe!!!
Better for an addict is not using, I know you are never cured.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
His mentor says he should he give up baseball and just focus on getting well at this point. 

That's not his mentor and hasn't been for a long time.  I knew J-Ham was going to trip up again when he fired his Jewish agent and hired some of his Born-Again yes men to handle his dealings.  That guy is an addict and will always be an addict so he needs to face the fact that Jesus or AA or Bill W or Scientology or whatever freaking nonsense he throws himself into next to fill his addiction isn't going to fix him.  Personally, if I were he I'd walk away from the game (he's done anyway) and check myself into a serious rehab program.  Not Promises in Malibu or the Betty Ford Centre but one of those "this is rock bottom" places that don't pamper these assclowns. 

Offline comish4lif

• Too Stressed to care.
Besides smoking, how would someone give themself cancer?

Offline Vega

• Party’s Over
That's not his mentor and hasn't been for a long time.  I knew J-Ham was going to trip up again when he fired his Jewish agent and hired some of his Born-Again yes men to handle his dealings.  That guy is an addict and will always be an addict so he needs to face the fact that Jesus or AA or Bill W or Scientology or whatever freaking nonsense he throws himself into next to fill his addiction isn't going to fix him.  Personally, if I were he I'd walk away from the game (he's done anyway) and check myself into a serious rehab program.  Not Promises in Malibu or the Betty Ford Centre but one of those "this is rock bottom" places that don't pamper these assclowns. 
I'm not surprised either. The evangelical fundamentalist subculture is notoriously godawful at handling addiction and mental illness, but they've got their heads to far up their favorite megapastor's ass to see the damage they cause.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
Besides smoking, how would someone give themself cancer?
Ken Caminiti and this guy come to mind for using HGH, EPO, and steroids to quicken cancer cell growth:

Offline blue911

Ken Caminnini and this guy come to mind.

(Image removed from quote.)

Lyle Alzado.

My grandfather owned a nursery and died at 54 from leukemia, which was directly related to his use of pesticides. Keep in mind DDT was sold as being safe for humans and had people dusting themselves with the crap to show how it was safe.