Author Topic: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List (2007-2011)  (Read 115028 times)

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
Re: Movie Recommendations/Want To See List
« Reply #25: December 05, 2007, 11:53:22 AM »
"Walk the Line" has been sitting by my television for such a long time that I can't even remember what's in the rest of my queue.  Some many movies, so little time...

natsfan1a

« Reply #26: December 05, 2007, 11:54:38 AM »
:lol: The Sandlot has been residing on my kitchen counter for some time...

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #27: December 05, 2007, 05:39:14 PM »
:lol: The Sandlot has been residing on my kitchen counter for some time...

classic!! :)

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #28: December 05, 2007, 05:46:15 PM »
Just saw Ocean's 13.. Pretty cool movie. Btw, Since it's the holidays, If anyone hasn't seen Bad Santa you need to watch it.  :twisted:

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #29: December 05, 2007, 05:47:26 PM »
Btw, Since it's the holidays, If anyone hasn't seen Bad Santa you need to watch it.  :twisted:

Yeah, take the kids and/or grandkids to see it if you have em :D

Offline kimnat

« Reply #30: December 05, 2007, 08:56:56 PM »
A friend of mine just saw Enchanted yesterday and said it was totally fantastic!!

arkymark

« Reply #31: December 06, 2007, 05:29:51 AM »
Did anyone else follow the online discussion of Bad Santa on the Post?  A few days ago they offered a list of 10 worst Christmas movies, and Bad Santa was number 10.  Virtually every comment was praise for the movie and a condemnation of the movie.  A couple of days later they had a list of 10 best Christmas movies, and Bad Santa was number 10, identified as "Readers Choice."  Though I feel kind of ashamed of the fact that I saw it with my (20 year old) daughter.

Offline 2IPAs

• Barbie luvs the Nationals!
« Reply #32: December 06, 2007, 09:57:01 AM »
Did anyone else follow the online discussion of Bad Santa on the Post?  A few days ago they offered a list of 10 worst Christmas movies, and Bad Santa was number 10.  Virtually every comment was praise for the movie and a condemnation of the movie.  A couple of days later they had a list of 10 best Christmas movies, and Bad Santa was number 10, identified as "Readers Choice."  Though I feel kind of ashamed of the fact that I saw it with my (20 year old) daughter.
It's an awful Christmas movie, but a hilarious dark comedy.

« Reply #33: December 06, 2007, 10:17:46 PM »
I am watching a Bond film currently, The Spy Who Loved Me, and though chock full of every cliche gimmick in the book it is highly entertaining as hell.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #34: December 06, 2007, 10:40:04 PM »
These are some older flicks that are on my Must See list:

Citizen Kane
Kramer vs. Kramer
Vertigo
Amadeus

I try to watch anything that anyone calls a "classic" to see why.

Offline saltydad

« Reply #35: December 06, 2007, 10:52:33 PM »
These are some older flicks that are on my Must See list:

Citizen Kane
Kramer vs. Kramer
Vertigo
Amadeus

I try to watch anything that anyone calls a "classic" to see why.

All excellent. I'd go for Amadeus and Kane at first for quality. Vertigo great Hitchcock. Kramer shows 2 top actors getting their teeth into the meat.

natsfan1a

« Reply #36: December 06, 2007, 11:40:27 PM »
I agree with salty's prioritizing. Don't know whether they had it here but while we were in Ohio for Thanksgiving TCM had a Hitchcock marathon. We caught both Rear Window and The Birds, both good. I also like North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, and Strangers on a Train. Heck, I like most of Hitchcock's movies.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #37: December 06, 2007, 11:43:13 PM »
I agree with salty's prioritizing. Don't know whether they had it here but while we were in Ohio for Thanksgiving TCM had a Hitchcock marathon. We caught both Rear Window and The Birds, both good. I also like North by Northwest, To Catch a Thief, and Strangers on a Train. Heck, I like most of Hitchcock's movies.

Yeah, I saw Rear Window for the first time during that marathon. It's actually what made me want to see all of his movies.

natsfan1a

« Reply #38: December 07, 2007, 08:14:48 AM »
Oh, I see. As noted, I like most of his films, but in addition to those already mentioned, I particularly liked Dial M for Murder, Lifeboat, Marnie, Notorious, Rebecca, Shadow of a Doubt, and Strangers on a Train. Also Psycho, but seeing it once or twice was enough for me (too intense).

Offline kimnat

« Reply #39: December 07, 2007, 08:27:03 AM »
I love N by NW!!  To Catch a Thief!!  Oh be still my heart - Cary Grant!  Why do you think Bishop's Wife is my favorite Christmas Movie.  He and James Garner are my heartthrob actors.

natsfan1a

« Reply #40: December 07, 2007, 08:30:14 AM »
And Grant and Hitch were a great combo.

arkymark

« Reply #41: December 07, 2007, 08:53:45 AM »
I would say that the latest Bond film may be the best of the lot, though perhaps Goldfinger still remains at the top of the heap.

And Citizen Kane is the best movie I have ever seen.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #42: December 07, 2007, 08:55:58 AM »
And Grant and Hitch were a great combo.

Really good combo.  In the only real bio on Grant, I believe it comments on how much Grant enjoyed Hitch and making those films.  Real good book!

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #43: December 07, 2007, 08:56:50 AM »
I would say that the latest Bond film may be the best of the lot, though perhaps Goldfinger still remains at the top of the heap.

And Citizen Kane is the best movie I have ever seen.

Man, I really need to see this movie.

Offline kimnat

« Reply #44: December 07, 2007, 08:58:39 AM »
It is superb!

Offline kimnat

« Reply #45: December 07, 2007, 08:59:42 AM »
If you guys wind up in Orlando, go to MGM Studios.  They have a fantastic ride that carries you through the entire movie era.  It's the "Great Train Ride".  It's really, really good!

natsfan1a

« Reply #46: December 07, 2007, 09:03:29 AM »
Citizen Kane appears on many "best film" lists, I believe (and it's excellent).

Speaking of Welles, I liked disliking him ( ;) ) as Harry Lime in The Third Man (directed by Carrol Reed).

natsfan1a

« Reply #47: December 07, 2007, 09:04:11 AM »
hmmm, that sounds interesting.

If you guys wind up in Orlando, go to MGM Studios.  They have a fantastic ride that carries you through the entire movie era.  It's the "Great Train Ride".  It's really, really good!

Offline CALSGR8

• BE LOUD. BE PROUD. BE POSITIVE!
« Reply #48: December 07, 2007, 10:39:29 AM »
If you ever watch TCM (Turner Classic Movies), watch any of the THIN MAN movies.  Very funny!

Offline saltydad

« Reply #49: December 07, 2007, 11:05:59 PM »
If you ever watch TCM (Turner Classic Movies), watch any of the THIN MAN movies.  Very funny!

Oh, you are SO right!! William Powell and Myrna Loy are fantastic together! There are about 8 of them, although the quality varies greatly. I had all of them on my DVR, but lost them when I traded it in for the HD DVR :'(