Author Topic: Following the Minor League Teams (2011)  (Read 100216 times)

Offline Mr Clean

Re: Following the Minor League Teams (2011)
« Reply #450: April 23, 2011, 07:31:20 PM »
Anyone know why Harper is not playing tonight?

Offline PANatsFan

• dogs in uncensored, nudes in gameday
« Reply #451: April 23, 2011, 07:34:15 PM »
I've kind of suggested it in the past.  Maybe we could come up with list of guys who are worth following.  Brian might be helpful.  It looks like BBQ has the idea with Millone.

For those not familiar with "Adopt-A-Prospect," as I understand it, various members agree to track individual prospects, put a little bio info like birthday, how acquired, school, etc... as well as any scouting reports they can find.  The member tracking the prospect might find and post newspaper articles they come across as well as periodically update stats, DL status, etc... 

I don't know if Sue Dinem or Souldrummer have this covered, but I'd think if several members here did it, it would be less labor intensive.

What Chief / Tom / Nathan could do is set up an "Adopt a Prospect" subforum in the Farm thread, perhaps move some of the historic threads on players like Hood, Marrero, Millone, etc... into there, and let it grow organically.  If you or Brian (or SF or Hammonds) could identify a few guys worth following, then members could claim them and start threads.

Is this what you had in mind?

Souldrummer disappeared from WNFF :(

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #452: April 23, 2011, 07:36:39 PM »
A quick look at the first few pages of the Farm board has a few player thread started, but obviously some aren't maintained.

I see Harper, Millone, Cole, McGeary, Eury, Hood, Rafael Martin, Norris (not updated since 3/5/11!), a Marrero thread, Lombardozzi (11/9/10?), another Millone thread (shame on BBQ!)(but BBQ's first post is a good format going forward), a note about Tyler Moore's MVP, a Carlos Alvarez (a/k/a Smiley) thread, Kobernus, Kevin Keyes, Andrew Brown, Meyers, and that is it for thread that have been updated since the end of March last year.  There are a few event threads, too (e.g., Peacock's beaning), and some threads on guys who are up with the team now (Bally, Espinosa, Storen, etc...).

If one of the Mods thinks this is a good idea, then maybe he can set up a farm "Prospect Profiles" sticky so we don't use SoSH's term, and pull these thread in there.  Then maybe some of the guys who follow the minors might start a thread "players needing profiles" and folks could volunteer to do one or more, keeping it updated.  Perhaps we should just use BA's top 30, and supplement that with the opinions of our better farm followers.

Game plan?

« Reply #453: April 23, 2011, 07:40:19 PM »
A quick look at the first few pages of the Farm board has a few player thread started, but obviously some aren't maintained.

I see Harper, Millone, Cole, McGeary, Eury, Hood, Rafael Martin, Norris (not updated since 3/5/11!), a Marrero thread, Lombardozzi (11/9/10?), another Millone thread (shame on BBQ!)(but BBQ's first post is a good format going forward), a note about Tyler Moore's MVP, a Carlos Alvarez (a/k/a Smiley) thread, Kobernus, Kevin Keyes, Andrew Brown, Meyers, and that is it for thread that have been updated since the end of March last year.  There are a few event threads, too (e.g., Peacock's beaning), and some threads on guys who are up with the team now (Bally, Espinosa, Storen, etc...).

If one of the Mods thinks this is a good idea, then maybe he can set up a farm "Prospect Profiles" sticky so we don't use SoSH's term, and pull these thread in there.  Then maybe some of the guys who follow the minors might start a thread "players needing profiles" and folks could volunteer to do one or more, keeping it updated.  Perhaps we should just use BA's top 30, and supplement that with the opinions of our better farm followers.

Game plan?

Tyler moore just hit his first HR of the year tonight. And so far Brad Meyers is pitching a gem so far through 3 , 1hit , 5 strike outs.

BTW, i like your idea. i follow the farm quite a bit.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #454: April 23, 2011, 07:43:05 PM »

I see Harper, Millone, Cole, McGeary, Eury, Hood, Rafael Martin, Norris (not updated since 3/5/11!), a Marrero thread, Lombardozzi (11/9/10?), another Millone thread (shame on BBQ!)(but BBQ's first post is a good format going forward), a note about Tyler Moore's MVP, a Carlos Alvarez (a/k/a Smiley) thread, Kobernus, Kevin Keyes, Andrew Brown, Meyers, and that is it for thread that have been updated since the end of March last year.  There are a few event threads, too (e.g., Peacock's beaning), and some threads on guys who are up with the team now (Bally, Espinosa, Storen, etc...).

If one of the Mods thinks this is a good idea, then maybe he can set up a farm "Prospect Profiles" sticky so we don't use SoSH's term, and pull these thread in there.  Then maybe some of the guys who follow the minors might start a thread "players needing profiles" and folks could volunteer to do one or more, keeping it updated.  Perhaps we should just use BA's top 30, and supplement that with the opinions of our better farm followers.

Game plan?
Genius, let's start tonight. Anyone interested can have the 'task' of making a post for 1 player in the top 30.

Offline Nathan

• Wow. Such warnings. Very baseball. Moderator Doge.
« Reply #455: April 23, 2011, 07:43:52 PM »

Game plan?
A sticky with links to the different player threads sounds like a decent idea I think.  Easier to implement than an entire child board.

We'll have to see what The Chief thinks about that idea.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #456: April 23, 2011, 07:47:38 PM »
Nathan, go to sonsofsamhorn.net, go into their minor league thread, and take a look at the "Adopt-a-Prospect" thread to see what they do.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #457: April 23, 2011, 07:49:31 PM »
Ok this is great I'm gonna recommend
Nathan, go to sonsofsamhorn.net, go into their minor league thread, and take a look at the "Adopt-a-Prospect" thread to see what they do.
it to chief.

Offline JMUalumni

« Reply #458: April 23, 2011, 07:51:52 PM »
For those wondering or interested, this is what JCA and I are discussing:

http://sonsofsamhorn.net/forum/10-the-adopt-a-prospect-forum/

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #459: April 23, 2011, 07:53:50 PM »
Made a thread about it in the suggestions page.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #460: April 23, 2011, 11:22:34 PM »
Stammen complete game shutout for Syracuse tonight. 7 IP 4 H 0 R 0 ER 0 BB 7 K (Win)

Brad Meyers continues domination in Harrisburg: 6.2 IP 4 H 2 ER 0 BB 10 K :az:

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #461: April 23, 2011, 11:28:07 PM »
Destin Hood has to be most improved player for Nats so far this season:

14/43, 4 Doubles, 1 Triple, 7 RBIs, 12 BBs, 13 Ks, 1 SB, 0 CS. .326/.473/.465

He also gunned two runners on the bases tonight (one at home, one at 2B).

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #462: April 23, 2011, 11:30:01 PM »

that's my boy!  in terms of prospects (on lower levels) that i'm most excited about, obviously bryce first, then hood, cole, kobernus

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #463: April 23, 2011, 11:30:03 PM »
Meyers is 3-1 with a 2.95 ERA to start the season for Harrisburg.

The best stat: 27 Ks to 0 BBs in 21.1 IP

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #464: April 23, 2011, 11:34:09 PM »
Meyers is 3-1 with a 2.95 ERA to start the season for Harrisburg.

The best stat: 27 Ks to 0 BBs in 21.1 IP

kid could be the real deal

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #465: April 23, 2011, 11:44:33 PM »
Meyers... wow

Online Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #466: April 23, 2011, 11:57:28 PM »
The M & M boys - Meyers and Milone!

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #467: April 24, 2011, 12:20:51 AM »

Our leadoff hitter?

Offline RD

« Reply #468: April 24, 2011, 12:24:40 AM »
Doubt Hood ever hits leadoff.

Too much pressure to move him into that spot right now, and his power down the line profiles somewhere in the middle of the lineup.

Offline BBQ

• Not Werth it.
« Reply #469: April 24, 2011, 12:25:31 AM »

How do you watch/follow the game.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #470: April 24, 2011, 12:28:03 AM »

I'm assuming he's just doing MILB.com

Online Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #471: April 24, 2011, 12:31:40 AM »

Probably just reading the box score.

Online JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #472: April 24, 2011, 12:39:04 AM »
Doubt Hood ever hits leadoff.

Too much pressure to move him into that spot right now, and his power down the line profiles somewhere in the middle of the lineup.
That is traditional thinking, but I don't mind a guy who has some power at leadoff as long as he is a terrific OBP guy.  Hood is nearly 1:1 in K/BB.  I don't know of another of our best prospects or MLB regulars to be close to that.    This guy has the patience to be an effective leadoff hitter.  If it ends up we are too stacked in the middle of the order among Werth, Zimmerman, and Harper, leading off Hood will be a minor problem.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #473: April 24, 2011, 01:02:31 AM »
i understand they want to be patient with certain prospects, and he really is a young one ... but let's just say hypothetically he keeps rolling like he is ... i'd hope they bump him to AA at some point in the next month or so (again if he's as on fire as he has been).

Online Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #474: April 24, 2011, 01:10:12 AM »
i understand they want to be patient with certain prospects, and he really is a young one ... but let's just say hypothetically he keeps rolling like he is ... i'd hope they bump him to AA at some point in the next month or so (again if he's as on fire as he has been).

Rizzo doesn't like to move up prospects without a year at each level.