Author Topic: *MIKE RIZZO DOES*: Anyone else secretly hope Jacoby Ellsbury becomes a Nat?  (Read 4917 times)

Offline Ray D

Pass on him.  The reason trading him is an attractive option to Boston is the same reason we should pass.  He's a rental. If he has a good season, he's gone. If he has a bad season .... well then who wants that. 

The smart move now is,  sign LaRoche,  get one more starting pitcher, and get ready for spring training.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
I used to think posting in Hot-Stove talk threads were fun... then I see some ideas that have been floated around... and I just hope I never sounded like that.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
I used to think posting in Hot-Stove talk threads were fun... then I see some ideas that have been floated around... and I just hope I never sounded like that.

it's all part of the fun.

Online HalfSmokes

Its a boring year, and we'll probably stand pat and sign some fringe guys to fill out the roster- might as well wildly speculate in the mean time

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked

:lmao:  :clap:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
So don't read the hot stove topics.  Problem solved.  What else is there to talk about in November, anyway?  There are topics I don't read because they annoy the crap out of me.

Offline blue911

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.

Offline blue911

:thumbs:

You don't have a chin.

Sure I do. It's just I'm old school when it comes to tin foil head gear.

Offline tomterp

• Global Moderator
  • Hell yes!
Sure I do. It's just I'm old school when it comes to tin foil head gear.

I didn't know you could even still get tin foil.  Most folks have switched to aluminum.    :shrug:

Online HalfSmokes

I didn't know you could even still get tin foil.  Most folks have switched to aluminum.    :shrug:

does aluminum protect against the UN?

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
The UN, yes, but the Trilateral Commisssion, no.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
I don't want a one year rental.

Offline Ray D

I suppose there is another way to look at this.   All talk about Ellsbury is predicated on losing LaRoche.   If we sign LaRoche then all talk of a centerfielder will cease, and that's what I hope will happen.

But if we lose LaRoche, Morse moves over to first and we have to fill left field, which Rizzo will want to do by moving Harper there and acquiring a centerfielder.  But Rizzo might feel that our long term solution to centerfield can be filled from within (e.g. Goodwin), but not in 2013. So he might be interested in a one year rental.  In that case, as long as the price we pay reflects the value -  a one year rental - then I suppose it makes sense.  That means: we don't give up much, certainly not a front line player. Maybe a middle prospect. No more than that.

Offline WhiteWhale

That won't get Ellsbury here.
If there is no ALR, then the switch is more likely going to be a lefty corner outfielder with some pop, and Harper can play CF one more season.

I don't see us going after Bourn.
The lefty corner guy I am speaking of will be a 1-2 year player that will be affordable enough to move to the bench in year 2 if there is a year 2.

With Zim's health meanign he may have to move to first, and the young core we have that is going to get expensive, this team is not looking for long term big money, and while Ellsbury does not have to be that, it will take more than a moderate prospect to get him here.

Offline Ray D

That won't get Ellsbury here.

If that won't get him here then forget him.

Online aspenbubba

Are you allowed to speak with the agent for a prospective acquisition and hammer out an extension prior to the trade being consummated ?

It seenms to me that Gio was extended fairly quickly after the trade was announced.

Offline Ray D

Are you allowed to speak with the agent for a prospective acquisition and hammer out an extension prior to the trade being consummated ?

Yes.  With permission from his current team.

Offline hammondsnats

for some reason i thought it read, "i don't want cereal" ... and it got me thinking, how can anyone hate cereal?

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
for some reason i thought it read, "i don't want cereal" ... and it got me thinking, how can anyone hate cereal?

Rizzo if it wanted a 3 year deal.

Offline Mattionals

Rizzo if it wanted a 3 year deal.

Next thing you know LastObjective is going to start chanting LAC!

See this is what this board does to new fans!  :mg:

Offline Mattionals

I think the Nats kick the tires on Ells regardless of the ALR decision.  If LaRoche re-signs here, the Nats don't have to move Morse out of LF and pick up someone like Ellsbury but Morse would be a better 1B option then anyone else on the market for the Sox and it would be a good swap for both sides.

Offline Ray D

how can anyone hate cereal?
I've given up cereal. Used to think it was very healthy to eat cereal for breakfast.  I've been convinced otherwise, by smart family members.  Protein is the way to go in the morning.