Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 168665 times)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #1325: November 06, 2012, 09:20:04 AM »
ZDK - thanks for the link in reply #1318.

I can see the Nats possibly going with one back up outfielder and an veteran MI, DeRosa/Cora-type next year and starting Moore in the minors until the first injury.  Having the vet on the roster then opens up trade flexibility. The other way to play it is to bring in the veteran on a minor league contract with a Spring training invite and an opt out date around 6/1 or 5/1.  This is not uncommon.  I think Ladson may be over-reading what the Nats are doing.

As for whether this team might deal Morse and not bring back ALR, I think that is an option, but only if there is a backfill.  I could be comfortable with Tracy / Moore as a
<------------
at first if we had a Span or Ellsbury in trade in CF.  It's a power decline for sure, but if you expect power growth from Harper, Werth to slug more, maybe some additional power from RZ, DE, and the catchers, then I think run production doesn't suffer.  My first preference is ALR on a 2 year and an option for 13+ MM AAV.

Offline NationalHeat

« Reply #1326: November 06, 2012, 09:46:35 AM »

No one has any idea whats going on with those negotiations. Don't see why we have to jump to conclusions that they're being stingy. Seriously, managers make less than what the Lerners shell out to their top prospects (which is alot.)

Offline HalfSmokes

« Reply #1327: November 06, 2012, 10:06:14 AM »
No one has any idea whats going on with those negotiations. Don't see why we have to jump to conclusions that they're being stingy. Seriously, managers make less than what the Lerners shell out to their top prospects (which is alot.)

true, but most managers make more than what the lerners shell out to their managers (which is a little).

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1330: November 06, 2012, 04:52:44 PM »
A Nats bullpen pitcher is suing the GM of the Phillies.

I always wondered who the fat guy in the dugout was.  Now, I know.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/11/06/nationals-bullpen-pitcher-sues-phillies-gm-ruben-amaro-jr/

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1331: November 06, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »

The only fat guy not on the team that I routinely see is robledo.

Offline mach1ne

« Reply #1332: November 06, 2012, 05:39:09 PM »
A Nats bullpen pitcher is suing the GM of the Phillies.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/wp/2012/11/06/nationals-bullpen-pitcher-sues-phillies-gm-ruben-amaro-jr/

(Image removed from quote.)

I wondered the same thing.

Offline Mr Clean

« Reply #1333: November 06, 2012, 05:43:20 PM »
ESPN Rumor Central apparently saying the Nats looking for a 2nd baseman.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1334: November 06, 2012, 05:45:07 PM »
Picking up a day late on Ladson, no doubt.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1335: November 06, 2012, 10:22:05 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2012/nov/5/examining-nationals-infield-situation/

WTF Amanda Comak
But what about the possibility of leaving the outfield as it is and speeding up a move that some seem to see as inevitable eventually. What about making Ryan Zimmerman the Nationals' first baseman, putting shortstop Ian Desmond at third base, moving Danny Espinosa to his natural position at short and inserting Lombardozzi as their everyday second baseman.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1336: November 06, 2012, 10:25:21 PM »
http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog/nationals-watch/2012/nov/5/examining-nationals-infield-situation/

WTF Amanda Comak

:| wait what?

Also I'd imagine this would go against every fiber of Davey's being... just considering how much he cares about player comfort and rhythms (if I remember correctly...)

Offline rbw5t

« Reply #1337: November 06, 2012, 10:43:44 PM »

WTF Amanda Comak

That doesn't actually seem so crazy to me, assuming we can't sign ALR to a reasonable deal.  Maybe Lombo can be a decent leadoff man, and we can avoid overpaying for an outfielder while we wait until Goodwin is ready.  Of course, everything depends on Espy cutting the Ks to something reasonable.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #1338: November 06, 2012, 10:52:18 PM »
That doesn't actually seem so crazy to me, assuming we can't sign ALR to a reasonable deal.  Maybe Lombo can be a decent leadoff man, and we can avoid overpaying for an outfielder while we wait until Goodwin is ready.  Of course, everything depends on Espy cutting the Ks to something reasonable.

Putting an elite defensive third baseman at first where he's never played, put a good shortstop at third where he's never played, in order to replace Adam LaRoche with Steve Lombardozzi? No that doesn't make sense.

If they were that focused on putting Lombo in the lineup and LaRoche walked, they could put him in left and move Morse to first base. But still.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1339: November 06, 2012, 10:52:54 PM »

there is absolutely no chance in hell that desmond is moving to third after all the defensive progress he made this past season.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1340: November 06, 2012, 10:55:25 PM »
Putting an elite defensive third baseman at first where he's never played, put a good shortstop at third where he's never played, in order to replace Adam LaRoche with Steve Lombardozzi? No that doesn't make sense.

If they were that focused on putting Lombo in the lineup and LaRoche walked, they could put him in left and move Morse to first base. But still.

Zimmerman will most likely become an elite 1st baseman when Rendon pushes him off third.  Probably best for Zimm's health too.  Remember that Zimm started out at UVA as a 3B/SS.  He will probably end up being a Gold Glove 1B.

Offline Lintyfresh85

• World Champions!!!
« Reply #1341: November 06, 2012, 11:07:55 PM »
Lombo gets on-base as much as Espinosa.

If you're not comfortable with Espinosa leading off, you're not going to be comfortable with Lombo leading off.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #1342: November 06, 2012, 11:20:41 PM »
Zimmerman will most likely become an elite 1st baseman when Rendon pushes him off third.  Probably best for Zimm's health too.  Remember that Zimm started out at UVA as a 3B/SS.  He will probably end up being a Gold Glove 1B.

I don't doubt that he'll be there eventually, but it seems a bit premature.

Lombo gets on-base as much as Espinosa.

If you're not comfortable with Espinosa leading off, you're not going to be comfortable with Lombo leading off.

Ehhh maybe this year. With regular ABs and more experience I'd think Lombardozzi could get on base a little bit more. Probably up to .330 or so. Espinosa could improve too.

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1343: November 06, 2012, 11:28:31 PM »
I don't doubt that he'll be there eventually, but it seems a bit premature.

Ehhh maybe this year. With regular ABs and more experience I'd think Lombardozzi could get on base a little bit more. Probably up to .330 or so. Espinosa could improve too.

I have a feeling Rendon starts at 3B in 2014.  That means Zim is starting at 1B in 2014.  One more season.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1344: November 07, 2012, 01:58:02 AM »
please get a 2B and SP ... (assuming we keep two of morse/laroche/moore)

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1345: November 07, 2012, 08:22:03 AM »
With regular ABs and more experience I'd think Lombardozzi could get on base a little bit more. Probably up to .330 or so. Espinosa could improve too.

A key to lombo getting a higher OBP is learning to lay off pitches outside the strike zone.  He hides it because he makes contact at a very high rate (83%) and offers at a rate comparable to Espinosa (37% v 40%). Except for power hitters who can somewhat expand the strike zone (Vladi, and to a much lesser extent Morse, to give you a range), contact outside the strike zone is generally weak.  He's basically turning opportunities to get better pitches and perhaps walk into outs.  Pitchers picked up on this, and throw him more crud outside the strike zone than a more disciplined hitter would get. 

Lombo had decent walk rates in the lower minors.  Perhaps he can be less aggressive and raise his OBP.  It's kind of the opposite of Desi, who never had success being patient and has the power to punish fastballs off the plate when he does hack.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1346: November 07, 2012, 08:44:04 AM »
A key to lombo getting a higher OBP is learning to lay off pitches outside the strike zone.  He hides it because he makes contact at a very high rate (83%) and offers at a rate comparable to Espinosa (37% v 40%). Except for power hitters who can somewhat expand the strike zone (Vladi, and to a much lesser extent Morse, to give you a range), contact outside the strike zone is generally weak.  He's basically turning opportunities to get better pitches and perhaps walk into outs.  Pitchers picked up on this, and throw him more crud outside the strike zone than a more disciplined hitter would get. 

Lombo had decent walk rates in the lower minors.  Perhaps he can be less aggressive and raise his OBP.  It's kind of the opposite of Desi, who never had success being patient and has the power to punish fastballs off the plate when he does hack.

This is great info.  He's so young so it's definitely within the realm of possiblity that he'd improve.  It's easy to imagine a 23 year old rookie being overly aggressive in trying to impress the team in his first experience in the bigs.

Maybe it does make sense to trade Espinosa if they are confident that Lombo can continue to make contact while improving his ability to lay off bad pitches.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #1347: November 07, 2012, 08:56:39 AM »
If they were going to go completely in-house there are better ways. Morse to first and Lombo and Moore platoon in left, or even if they did leave the outfield alone, Lombo would play 3B like he did when Zim was down, instead of moving everyone.

What the article suggests is something you do in the offseason in franchise mode while playing MLB The Show, and you have the option on where you can edit players positions.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1348: November 07, 2012, 09:04:32 AM »
What the article suggests is something you do in the offseason in franchise mode while playing MLB The Show, and you have the option on where you can edit players positions.

Trade for David Wright and put him at 2B.  Trade Espinosa, Rendon, Tyler Moore, Alex Meyer for King Felix.

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #1349: November 07, 2012, 09:13:50 AM »
Trade for David Wright and put him at 2B.  Trade Espinosa, Rendon, Tyler Moore, Alex Meyer for King Felix.

can't tell if your serious, joking (as in the franchise mode sense), or if Hammonds jacked your account.  :shrug:

edit and a nod to Hammonds - He loves Rendon, I don't think he would do that deal