Author Topic: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread  (Read 171942 times)

Offline Hondo

Re: 2012/13 Offseason Discussion Thread
« Reply #1425: November 07, 2012, 10:04:46 PM »
I don't see what's unorthodox about this delivery and there is no inverted W.

I'm always worried why another franchise would want to deal a stud young starter......something's up.

Offline zimm_da_kid

• The one true ace
« Reply #1426: November 07, 2012, 10:12:56 PM »
Jon Morosi‏@jonmorosi

Kevin Towers asked if he will need to have socks knocked off to trade Justin Upton. KT lifted up foot to reveal … he was not wearing socks.
?

Offline Mattionals

« Reply #1427: November 07, 2012, 10:17:53 PM »
I don't see what's unorthodox about this delivery and there is no inverted W.

I'm always worried why another franchise would want to deal a stud young starter......something's up.

Not the inverted W crap again.  Just let it go.  Some d-bag decided that the "inverted W" looks unorthodox and after looking at examples of maybe 10-15 MLB pitchers, he concluded that the inverted W leads to TJ surgery.  I still believe that it's all BS.

I think Bauer is trying to be too much like Maddux on the mound.  Trying to dissect a hitter too much and use one of his many pitches and varied deliveries or grips to try and do too much.  Maybe he is unwilling to remove a few pitches and just work on three or four to get them perfect?  He did tear up AAA but that isn't always a good meter stick.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #1428: November 07, 2012, 10:35:39 PM »
this off-season is boring, sign, extend, or trade for someone already. :)

Offline Hondo

« Reply #1429: November 07, 2012, 11:36:38 PM »
My point isnt that the inverted w is true or not, but that the guy had good mechanics.

Not the inverted W crap again.  Just let it go.  Some d-bag decided that the "inverted W" looks unorthodox and after looking at examples of maybe 10-15 MLB pitchers, he concluded that the inverted W leads to TJ surgery.  I still believe that it's all BS.

I think Bauer is trying to be too much like Maddux on the mound.  Trying to dissect a hitter too much and use one of his many pitches and varied deliveries or grips to try and do too much.  Maybe he is unwilling to remove a few pitches and just work on three or four to get them perfect?  He did tear up AAA but that isn't always a good meter stick.

Offline cletusvandamme

« Reply #1430: November 08, 2012, 12:06:36 AM »
I'm now convinced Rizzo is going big this offseason. This is going to be awesome.

Offline PC

« Reply #1431: November 08, 2012, 01:26:32 AM »
Speaking of Inverted W, I saw this ad on, of all places, the Jerusalem Post.  When I first saw it I was sure it was about the W not velocity.  Imagine, Strasburg could have more velocity???

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #1432: November 08, 2012, 07:25:20 AM »
It's not an inverted W.  I don't know what it is - I'm by no means a pitching expert.  But he shoots forward more than most pitchers.  I think it has to do with him being skinny and not being able to generate power the way a bigger guy like Strasburg might.  Here is a video -

I think he's been compared often to Lincecum.  It just looks different and for me, when combined with him being so young, that's enough for me not to want to trade a ton for him.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1433: November 08, 2012, 08:19:48 AM »
He's got a cool youtube channel called BauerOutage.

That's a really awesome view of his pitching motion, I've never seen an overhead view of a pitcher!

However, he needs to invest in a better camera. The rest of his videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/BauerOutage/videos?flow=grid&view=0

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #1434: November 08, 2012, 08:39:05 AM »
Trade the farm for JUPTON and BAUER

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #1435: November 08, 2012, 08:56:00 AM »
Washington Nationals ‏@natsbuzztap

Nationals Journal >> Are the Nationals and Zack Greinke a fit two years later? http://buzztap.com/-C097SW

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1436: November 08, 2012, 08:58:40 AM »
Washington Nationals ‏@natsbuzztap

Nationals Journal >> Are the Nationals and Zack Greinke a fit two years later? http://buzztap.com/-C097SW

No if it costs us future contracts with Strasburg, Harper, JZim, or anyone else we'll need to lock up in the future. But as the article says, if they let Jackson go they must have plans. Rizzo is a very forward looking person so I trust him on this.

Also, screw the article recommendations at the bottom.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #1437: November 08, 2012, 09:44:40 AM »
Wow, sorry I missed this last night. Fun discussion.

Then the Diamondbacks need a new front office. Bauer was up front about his program before being drafted and if they passed on Bundy thinking they could alter Bauer they shouldn't be involved in decision making of any sort,  including paper or plastic.

This. I doubt the D-Backs have changed their mind. That said, the D-Back have to have one of the stupidest front offices in baseball.

D-Backs motivational plan
  • Make comments that kill a player's trade value
  • Put on trade block
  • Whine about the return you're offered
  • Keep the player that now hates your guts
  • Whine about the player underperforming
  • Repeat

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #1438: November 08, 2012, 09:51:54 AM »
Speaking of Inverted W, I saw this ad on, of all places, the Jerusalem Post.  When I first saw it I was sure it was about the W not velocity.  Imagine, Strasburg could have more velocity???

(Image removed from quote.)

Pitching used to be taught in "steps" or "phases" of the pitching motion. For example

• Rock
  • Pivot
  • Leg lift
  • Balance
  • etc...

And we were taught that you had to have perfect balance at the balance point. One drill we used to do was to pause at the balance point for 5 seconds and then continue the motion. It is now conventional knowledge that this would kill your momentum. You need to keep your momentum going forward to maximize mechanical efficiency.

But Strasburg is a poor poster child for this for a number of obvious reasons. I've never read that he has an inefficient delivery. Poor marketing decision.

Offline Kevrock

« Reply #1439: November 08, 2012, 10:37:02 AM »
He's got a cool youtube channel called BauerOutage.

That's a really awesome view of his pitching motion, I've never seen an overhead view of a pitcher!

However, he needs to invest in a better camera. The rest of his videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/BauerOutage/videos?flow=grid&view=0

This is awesome, thanks for sharing. He answers questions in the comments section. Interesting stuff.

trevor how do you feel about long distance running for pitchers and just in general for building leg strength and arm strength
alot of people frown upon it but I am not sure why

its terrible for pitchers. how does long distance running improve leg strength and arm strength in the way u use it for pitching? pitching is all about explosive movements. long distance running trains the opposite energy system as well as a lack of hip extension and mobility...lots of other reasons. but those are some

Based on your SI article from last August, it sounds like you aren't a fan of weightlifting? I'm curious what your reasoning is if you would be kind enough to explain.

had never had a weight coach explain to me how the lifts they wanted me to do were going to help me. it was always "itll make you stronger" or something like that and no real evidence on how that would help me pitch better/throw harder.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1440: November 08, 2012, 10:38:00 AM »

(Image removed from quote.)

why do they have that ad?  why do they hate stephen strasburg?  :panic:

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1441: November 08, 2012, 10:40:15 AM »
i want greinke

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1442: November 08, 2012, 10:44:41 AM »
i want greinke

We know. What do you think about Bauer or other possible trades/free agents?

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1443: November 08, 2012, 10:55:00 AM »
We know. What do you think about Bauer or other possible trades/free agents?

i've said i'd take bauer. 

but greinke really puts us as the favorites.

Offline lastobjective

• Natitude
« Reply #1444: November 08, 2012, 11:00:14 AM »
i've said i'd take bauer. 

but greinke really puts us as the favorites.

Obviously, I just wonder how much it'd cost for him to come here. But apparently he's liked us in the past...

Offline WhiteWhale

« Reply #1445: November 08, 2012, 11:27:11 AM »
Greinke nixed a trade to come here.

When you like a chic, and she ignores you, then you sprout a foot over the summer and lose the acne and glasses and she wants to talk to you now, you don't give in.

or, L-O, for the ladies,

when you like a guy and he ignores you, then over the summer you get boobs, and now he wants to talk, you dont listen.

Greinke thought we were trash a very short period ago. Don't have time for him now. Not to mention I don't think he is worth the money he will cost

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #1446: November 08, 2012, 11:37:52 AM »
When you like a chic, and she ignores you, then you sprout a foot over the summer and lose the acne and glasses and she wants to talk to you now, you don't give in.

You ever been a high school guy?  That's not how I remember it happening.

Offline Squab

• Global Moderator
  • me lookin at the bullpen
« Reply #1447: November 08, 2012, 11:43:39 AM »
Greinke thought we were trash a very short period ago. Don't have time for him now. Not to mention I don't think he is worth the money he will cost

Quote from: Zack Greinke
The Nationals are trying to build a winner,” Greinke said, “and if I’m going to go there, I didn’t really want them to trade away the players they were going to build around. That hurts their team.”

When it was suggested to Greinke that perhaps his path will intersect with that of the Nationals another time — Greinke’s current contract expires after the 2012 season, roughly the time the Nationals expect to become legitimate contenders — he did not shoot down the notion.

“Maybe it works out better that the deal [with Washington] didn’t go through,” Greinke said. “In two years I might be a free agent, and then they get to keep the players [who would have been] in the trade. And some of those guys could end up being key players for them.”

Offline NJ Ave

« Reply #1448: November 08, 2012, 11:43:50 AM »
Spite is always a good way to run your personal life, as well as a major league baseball franchise.

Offline hammondsnats

« Reply #1449: November 08, 2012, 11:43:56 AM »
whitewhale, sorry but that's totally wrong.

he said he wanted to play for a contender but can see the nats evolving into a good team.  now we are.  it's a match made in heaven.  enough w/ HS analogies.