Author Topic: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?  (Read 30756 times)

Offline Slateman

• THE SUMMONER OF THE REVERSE JINX
Re: What's wrong with Ryan Zimmerman?
« Reply #300: June 24, 2012, 11:11:02 AM »
It could be any number of things but it's just not magically going to get better.  Glad we made some big splashes on bats this offseason...

Magically? No. It will take time. It's most likely a sprain. How long does it take you to come back from sprains? My ankle is still bothering me and I rolled it about three weeks ago.

Offline MarquisDeSade

• Captain Sadness
« Reply #301: June 24, 2012, 11:13:39 AM »
I sprained my left foot in November and it's still not 100%.  If it's a sprain why keep putting him out on the field.

Offline PC

« Reply #302: June 24, 2012, 12:42:52 PM »
From Kilgore:

He has spent much of it in the trainer’s room, receiving massages, ultrasounds, heat, cold – anything that may keep doctors from shooting more cortisone into his shoulder, a procedure that puts at risk the future fitness of the joint and sends him temporarily to the sideline

So, the team was actually aware that his injury was an issue.  Why did they act so surprised about it and wait so long (and are still waiting as he's in the starting lineup today) to acknowledge it and think big picture about it (again which they aren't really because he's in the lineup today)?

This also doesn't sound like very good treatment as they seem to be trying everything rather than getting a proper diagnosis and directly addressing what's wrong.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #303: June 24, 2012, 01:02:14 PM »
Just a guess.  They kept quiet to not tip off other teams and waited until now to confirm it because it became obvious to the world.  They kept on trying to convince teams that he was just getting timing back, was crushing the ball in BP, etc. . . so they would have some fear of throwing lefties at us.  They want righties because our best two hitters have been Harper and LaR, with Lombo our best OBP guy.  I'd be curious about our offense v. RHP and v. LHP.  [edit - I checked it - It looks like both in terms of wOBA and OPS, we are slightly better v. RHP.]

Offline Slateman

« Reply #304: June 24, 2012, 01:09:13 PM »
From Kilgore:

So, the team was actually aware that his injury was an issue.  Why did they act so surprised about it and wait so long (and are still waiting as he's in the starting lineup today) to acknowledge it and think big picture about it (again which they aren't really because he's in the lineup today)?

This also doesn't sound like very good treatment as they seem to be trying everything rather than getting a proper diagnosis and directly addressing what's wrong.

They got a MRI. Came back with no structural damage, just inflammation. So what they're doing is about all you can do for that. Ice, heat, massages, ect.

What he really needs is rest. Plain and simple. He continues to aggravate his sprained shoulder. It needs rest.

Offline Kevrock

• That’s gonna be a no from me, doge.
« Reply #305: June 24, 2012, 01:09:40 PM »
What JCA said.

Their job is to win, not keep message boards informed.

Offline PC

« Reply #307: June 24, 2012, 01:18:22 PM »
Just a guess.  They kept quiet to not tip off other teams and waited until now to confirm it because it became obvious to the world.  They kept on trying to convince teams that he was just getting timing back, was crushing the ball in BP, etc. . . so they would have some fear of throwing lefties at us.  They want righties because our best two hitters have been Harper and LaR, with Lombo our best OBP guy.  I'd be curious about our offense v. RHP and v. LHP.  [edit - I checked it - It looks like both in terms of wOBA and OPS, we are slightly better v. RHP.]

What JCA said.

Their job is to win, not keep message boards informed.

They got a MRI. Came back with no structural damage, just inflammation. So what they're doing is about all you can do for that. Ice, heat, massages, ect.

What he really needs is rest. Plain and simple. He continues to aggravate his sprained shoulder. It needs rest.

All well and good but why is he starting today.  The pretense is clearly gone.  The opponents know his limitations and they'll have to address the lineup when he goes on the DL.  Why not start today?

A #3 hitter who physically can't hit doesn't help the team win today and it, in no way, helps the team "long term".

The decision to start him today and bat him #3 defies reason.

Offline JCA-CrystalCity

• Global Moderator
  • Platoon - not just a movie, a baseball obsession
« Reply #308: June 24, 2012, 01:21:33 PM »
As I said in the game thread, they are trying to break up the stretch of lefties at the top of the  order.  I still would have hit desi 3d, moved Lombo to 3d, and started Bernie in left.  it's not like you are going to use a lot of PHs today.

Offline Dixon Ward

« Reply #309: June 24, 2012, 01:21:50 PM »
although not unexpected, this sucks

Offline nats2playoffs

« Reply #310: June 24, 2012, 01:28:57 PM »
Something is obviously wrong with the guy and it isn't just a slump.  I'm surprised no one else has mentioned how much this appears similar to the LaRoche situation last year.  The biggest difference is we didn't just reward LaRoche with a $100m extension.
On January 14, 2010, LaRoche agreed to a 1 year, $4.5 million contract with the Arizona Diamondbacks. His deal includes a $7.5 million mutual option with a $1.5 million buyout. On January 4, 2011, LaRoche agreed to a 2 year contract with the Washington Nationals: $7 million in 2011 and $8 million in 2012, with a mutual option for $10 million in 2013. His 2011 season ended with labrum surgery on his left shoulder with career-low batting numbers of 0.172 BA/0.288 OPS/0.258 SLG.

It sounds like the same situation: player signs for big pay raise and continues to play poorly through an injury.  They were both embarrassed to have taken the money, when they were unable to earn it at the time.  So the team suffers in the meantime.

What is completely idiotic about the current situation is batting Zim-with-1-N third, when they know he cannot perform as any batter should in that slot.
 :idiot:

Offline Slateman

« Reply #311: June 24, 2012, 01:29:15 PM »

All well and good but why is he starting today.  The pretense is clearly gone.  The opponents know his limitations and they'll have to address the lineup when he goes on the DL.  Why not start today?

A #3 hitter who physically can't hit doesn't help the team win today and it, in no way, helps the team "long term".

The decision to start him today and bat him #3 defies reason.

Because Davey

Offline spidernat

• The Lerners are Cheap AND Crooked
« Reply #312: June 24, 2012, 01:34:29 PM »
They are setting things up for Derosa to take Zimmerman's spot when activated.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #313: June 24, 2012, 02:20:23 PM »
Atta boy Zim!

:clap:

Can still count on Zim for his great glove, nice to see him plate a run

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #314: June 24, 2012, 07:57:56 PM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/nationals-journal/post/ryan-zimmerman-receives-cortisone-shot-before-breakout-game-plans-to-play-through-shoulder-injury-all-season/2012/06/24/gJQAirXI0V_blog.html?wprss=rss_nationals-journal

Kilgore with an update - Zim plans to get through the season using cortisone shots maybe every couple of weeks and then get surgery if he needs it at the end of the year.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #315: June 24, 2012, 07:59:45 PM »
Good that our star players are dictating what the club will do instead of the other way around.

Offline PC

« Reply #316: June 24, 2012, 08:00:52 PM »
We better hope this works out...

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #317: June 24, 2012, 08:04:36 PM »
Getting cortisone shots every couple of weeks cannot be a good thing. Zim is still great with the glove and he did look much better at the plate today, but you gotta wonder if this a good plan.

Offline welch

• The Sweetest Right Handed Swing in 1950s Baseball
« Reply #318: June 24, 2012, 08:04:43 PM »
Zim is a tough guy who wants to play and win. The future is now.

I would still give him a week off, playing Lombo at 3B and Moore and Brown / Bernadina in LF.

Offline Slateman

« Reply #319: June 24, 2012, 08:07:57 PM »
Seriously? This is what the training staff and management office thinks is the best plan for a guy we're invested in for the next 10 years?!?

Holy freaking crap. The stupid at Nationals Park is so strong, I'm pretty sure you can see it glow for miles.

Offline Tyler Durden

• Leprechaun
« Reply #320: June 24, 2012, 08:08:07 PM »
Getting cortisone shots every couple of weeks cannot be a good thing. Zim is still great with the glove and he did look much better at the plate today, but you gotta wonder if this a good plan.

Agreed.  I have to think the new contract is playing into his wanting to tough it out.

If Tracy were healthy, I'd say he should just sit for a couple weeks and heal up.  With Tracy out, we don't really have an obvious replacement.  Maybe Lombo?

Offline Slateman

« Reply #321: June 24, 2012, 08:08:57 PM »
Agreed.  I have to think the new contract is playing into his wanting to tough it out.

If Tracy were healthy, I'd say he should just sit for a couple weeks and heal up.  With Tracy out, we don't really have an obvious replacement.  Maybe Lombo?

How is this a maybe? Does no one remember Lombo hitting well and playing decent defense at third?

On top of that, hopefully this get's Moore's bat in the line up.

Offline GburgNatsFan

• Let's drink a few for Mathguy.
« Reply #322: June 24, 2012, 08:20:39 PM »
I agree - at least I think I do. Steroids reduce inflamation, but, long term, they aren't good for the joint. Maybe these guys have done the research and no how much is too much. But if rest for a month would fix it without the steroids, I'd pick that.

Seriously? This is what the training staff and management office thinks is the best plan for a guy we're invested in for the next 10 years?!?

Holy freaking crap. The stupid at Nationals Park is so strong, I'm pretty sure you can see it glow for miles.

Offline wpa2629

• No Trade Clause
« Reply #323: June 24, 2012, 08:23:42 PM »
And I'm surprised he felt that good that fast from a cortisone shot. I get cortisone shots in my shoulders/elbows about 2 or 3 times a year and the joint is stiff for hours.

Offline imref

• Re-contending in 202...5?
« Reply #324: June 24, 2012, 08:25:21 PM »
We better hope this works out...

2 hits today, keep the faith.