Should Manny Acta be fired?

Yes
76 (67.3%)
No
18 (15.9%)
Ask me later in the year
19 (16.8%)

Total Members Voted: 104

Author Topic: Should Manny Acta be fired?  (Read 33654 times)

Offline 2k6nats

• Through Fick and Zim
Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Topic Start: April 06, 2009, 10:17:39 PM »
I want to get a gauge of where people are at on the subject, as I've heard both sides of the argument.  I believe that Acta should be fired; not only because of the team's poor performance, but because of his actions in ST (anointing Milledge the starting CFer, etc.)

Offline KnorrForYourMoney

• pissy DC sports fan
Re: Should Manny Acta be fired?
« Reply #1: April 06, 2009, 10:18:31 PM »
Ask me later in the year, although if you asked me to make the call right now, I'd go with fired.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #2: April 06, 2009, 10:19:08 PM »
well obviously not this early in the season but if we are 6-15 after our first 21 games of the season (all against NL East opponents) he should be let go.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #3: April 06, 2009, 10:22:43 PM »
I don't think Manny's a very good manager (never have), but I don't think there's a manager in the world who would be very successful with our rotation. People get more attached to players, so they'll usually just blame the manager and coaches for everything.

Offline BerkeleyNat

« Reply #4: April 06, 2009, 10:23:35 PM »
I'm real close to saying yes, but that's probably from the frustration of today's game. I do believe that he should be on a short lease. If we get off to a bad start like last year...he should get canned.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #5: April 06, 2009, 11:28:41 PM »
Puhleeze, it's opening day  :roll:

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #6: April 06, 2009, 11:32:08 PM »
We'll be 1-1 after tomorrow, we'll be fine. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #7: April 06, 2009, 11:37:17 PM »
We'll be 1-1 after tomorrow, we'll be fine. 
we better. anything less than 3-3 at the end of this week would be a disaster.

Offline UMDNats

« Reply #8: April 06, 2009, 11:38:07 PM »
I'd give him until the end of the year, but I'm leaning towards firing.

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #9: April 06, 2009, 11:46:14 PM »
we better. anything less than 3-3 at the end of this week would be a disaster.
A disaster?  I don't know about that. 

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #10: April 06, 2009, 11:48:40 PM »
A disaster?  I don't know about that. 
2-4 or worse would be a hole that we would be unable to climb out of. this team needs to stay as close to .500 as possible or else we will see a repeat of the past years when we were eliminated by the 3rd week in April. I don't know about you but I'd at least like to be competitive for a little while this year. :?

Offline CoachKlein

« Reply #11: April 06, 2009, 11:50:58 PM »
I was at the game today. This team has no toughness, lack fundamentals, and have excuses for everything. Its crystal clear

Offline DPMOmaha

« Reply #12: April 06, 2009, 11:52:33 PM »
2-4 or worse would be a hole that we would be unable to climb out of. this team needs to stay as close to .500 as possible or else we will see a repeat of the past years when we were eliminated by the 3rd week in April. I don't know about you but I'd at least like to be competitive for a little while this year. :?
It would be a disappointment.  But I guess I reserve the word disaster for other things.  But I don't expect this team to contend for a playoff spot anyway.  I do expect them to be competitive though.  But whatever happens this road trip, there isn't anything that is unrecoverable.  With the youth in the rotation this will likely be a team that does pretty well at home and will really struggle on the road.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #13: April 06, 2009, 11:53:56 PM »
It would be a disappointment.  But I guess I reserve the word disaster for other things.  But I don't expect this team to contend for a playoff spot anyway.  I do expect them to be competitive though.  But whatever happens this road trip, there isn't anything that is unrecoverable.  With the youth in the rotation this will likely be a team that does pretty well at home and will really struggle on the road.

Yeah, I think we'll have a pretty good home record.

Offline eckseid

« Reply #14: April 07, 2009, 12:19:33 AM »
How the hell did this board survive 102 losses last year? Holy crap.

Offline CoachKlein

« Reply #15: April 07, 2009, 12:21:48 AM »

I think it has more to do with the quality of play or lack there of. Last year we knew we sucked.

Offline Ali the Baseball Cat

• babble on
« Reply #16: April 07, 2009, 12:21:53 AM »
Everyone mellows out once we are out of contention.  So June?

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #17: April 07, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »

I have no idea. I have a lot of friends who are baseball fans and NONE of them nag as much as some on here do. It's actually pretty damn frustrating and it makes these message boards less enjoyable.

Offline cmdterps44

• Future
« Reply #18: April 07, 2009, 12:45:22 AM »
Good god, I thought the Dunn vs Abreu vs Who the freak else is left (Hinske) discussions were annoying but everything today trumps this.

I know its just a poll question but come on, speculation after one game is like saying we had to win this game or else were eliminated from the playoffs. We have 161 more games. We have one tomorrow we have 5 more at the end of this week. Can we please just watch the games and see if we had a bad day? Speculation is driving me nuts!!!

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #19: April 07, 2009, 01:08:30 AM »
you guys laugh now but I remember saying the same crap a year ago only to be proven right. I posted a thread "Is it too early to panic" after we were like 3-6 or something like that and everyone laughed at me. People around here just do not understand how it important it is for a team like the Nats to get off to a good start and by good start I do not mean 3-0. I'm talking about playing .500 ball over at least 3-4 weeks and seeing where things go from there.

people will say "oh there's still 161 games left", "oh it's still early in the season", "no time to panic. we'll be fine". but as soon as you know it we'll be 4-15 and out of contention just like that.

Offline ronnynat

« Reply #20: April 07, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »
you guys laugh now but I remember saying the same crap a year ago only to be proven right. I posted a thread "Is it too early to panic" after we were like 3-6 or something like that and everyone laughed at me. People around here just do not understand how it important it is for a team like the Nats to get off to a good start and by good start I do not mean 3-0. I'm talking about playing .500 ball over at least 3-4 weeks and seeing where things go from there.

people will say "oh there's still 161 games left", "oh it's still early in the season", "no time to panic. we'll be fine". but as soon as you know it we'll be 4-15 and out of contention just like that.

And what does nagging constantly do to keep that from happening? No one's dumb here, SF. Everyone realizes that in order to have a successful season you have to play well. That's obvious.

It seems like you do all of this premature "we're doomed" freaking out just to say that you were "proven right" when all is said and done. It's pretty childish and no one cares. It's pretty freaking easy to guess that your team is not going to the playoffs after a 3-6 start when they didn't have the talent to go to the playoffs in the first place. Yeah, wow, you're brilliant for "knowing" that last season.

Offline PC

« Reply #21: April 07, 2009, 01:37:51 AM »
Everyone mellows out once we are out of contention.  So June?

More like early May.

Offline sportsfan882

« Reply #22: April 07, 2009, 07:15:21 AM »
http://www.wnff.net/index.php/topic,7659.0.html

Quote from: sportsfan882
7 losses in a row, all of them in gut-wrenching, heart-breaking fashion.  This team has to feel dead inside.  All of the good karma from Opening Night and the following 2 games is long gone.  How humiliating would it be to get swept at home by the Marlins?  Maybe then they would wake up.  If they don't come to soon it is going to be lights out to this season in April just like last year.

Quote from: eckseid
Nope, still too early. Still got dukes, pena on the DL.

Plus we still got alot of game's to go.

Quote from: spidernat
No way it's time to panic yet. We'll see how long I last but I'm going to try to remain clam and laugh it off instead of going nuclear for my health's sake

Quote from: hammondsnats
no.  they've lost five games in a row, most of them winnable.

with a day off though they should get together and chat about the direction they are headed in.  the nl east is a joke right now, time to take advantage.

Quote from: PaNatsFan
This is ridiculous - had we won yesterday, we would have knocked off the first place team in the NL East. With 2 wins in the series, we might take 1st place back.
Does that mean anything - NO - There's over 150 games left.

Quote from: JayMan77
Sportsfan, I've mostly backed off from getting on your case about your profanity-laced, panic-laden tirades when this team does badly, but you take the cake on this one.  IT'S ONLY 8 GAMES INTO THE SEASON.  What would you be saying if we were the Detroit Tigers, who had all of these huge preseason accolades, and are 0-6 to show for it?  That's an even more horrible start, but they're not out of the playoffs.  Please, just chill for once.  I swear you post like you do for show.

Oh, and you say that these losses have been "gut-wrenching" and "heart-breaking"?  Only one of them has, and that was the 10-inning loss to the Phillies where the Nats blew their 6-1 lead.  The rest have been losses purely placed on the Nats' inability to get clutch hits and their error-prone fielding.

same bullcrap and excuses, new season.

Offline Evolution33

• Blown Save, Win
« Reply #23: April 07, 2009, 07:38:06 AM »
Last year killed all the positive people. They either fled the boards or turned negative. Soon whenever anyone takes a 2-1 fastball right down the middle we will all say they should be curb stomped. If a pitcher dares to give up a single to the number 8 hitter on a 0-2 count we will all say the world is ending and that pitcher is to blame. Soon the gates of negativille swing open and all Natstown will be engulfed. Rizzo is just one of Bowden's cronies and it is all part of the Devil's master plan.

Offline GMUTrkstar

« Reply #24: April 07, 2009, 07:41:10 AM »
He deserves until the end of the year, but I think he'll be gone if we don't go .500 this year...